Preparation H for Loose Tummy Skin

Options
Has anyone heard of using Preparation H to shrink loose belly skin? I've had four children (a set of twins) and two c-sections. I have lost 60 pounds since June and have gone from a size 16-18 to a size 6-8. The skin almost looks like Adam Sandler's flap in "Click". I can even flop it back and forth. It also leaves a weird looking bulge in my jeans. I've been exfoliating and using skin firming creams plus drinking lots of water. My fear is that it will always be like this. I can deal with a little bit of saggy skin, but this thing is ridiculous. At this time surgery is not an option.

Replies

• ReneeP59
    Options
    Now that one I've never heard of!!! If it's true...I'll be buying in by the gallon and painting it on. However, when I reach goal, which will be a total of 54 lbs. lost, then I plan to do whatever it takes to make skin removal surgery an option. I figure at that point I deserve it. And, I want it done properly by a medical doctor. Your 60 lb. loss is an inspiration to me. Thanks.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of that.

Try working on building some muscle... it should help the skin tighten a bit. There is only so much you can do to make that happen though without resorting to surgery. Depending on how much it has stretched, how long, and genetics you unfortunately may not be able to have a tight tummy without some form of surgery.

It can take a while for skin to shrink. Try adding muscle to help pull the skin in.

I don't see how prep H would help with shrinking skin... just seems far too weird. Even if it does work it probably won't give the results you are looking for.

In the meantime, get a pair of spanx or something like that to make the jean buldge go away... I know it isn't a fix but it will help you feel better.
  • ksal5
    ksal5 Posts: 3
    Options
    I USE IT UNDER MY EYES TO REDUCE PUFFINESS AND SWELLING, BUT NEVER HEARD OF IT BEING USED FOR FLABBY SKIN. I SEE WHERE THAT THOUGHT MIGHT BE GOING, BUT I DONT THINK THE ANTIINFLAMATORY AGENT WILL TIGHTEN SKIN :(
  • tam_a_ram_a
    tam_a_ram_a Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty toned up. I do resistance/weight training 3-4 times a week in addition to cardio. It's just loose skin.
  • tam_a_ram_a
    Options
    I heard it helps by tightening the skin. I actually looked at it on a couple different sites (can't remember which ones, but I think one may have been Livestrong), and it says to use it at night because it has a skin tightening agent in it.
  • tam_a_ram_a
    Options
    I'd do the tummy tuck, but it's a last resort. I have four kids to put through college :)
  • TxLdy3
    TxLdy3 Posts: 31
    Options
    60 lbs. is AWESOME!! Never heard of it for lose skin either but it's worth looking into! Thanks for sharing...I hear you on the surgery...It's REALLY expensive!!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    The skin tightening agent in the medicine is not nearly powerful enough for shrinking back the skin on your belly.
  • tam_a_ram_a
    Options
    How about I try it and let everyone know how it works. I'm not expecting miracles, just something. I've been using collagen creams, and my husband seems to think they've made a difference. The article I read said the lanolin in the Preparation H helps pull skin back. Here's a link to the article. It's Yahoo! News, so it's probably not worth much anyway.

http://voices.yahoo.com/seven-simple-ways-tighten-loose-skin-without-surgery-5934638.html?cat=5
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My doctor says nothing but lots of time (upwards of 2 yrs?) and really great genes will make my loose skin "shrink up". I lift heavy and have great abs, but it's likely no one will ever see them!

So I hear you, but think this P-H idea is likely a gigantic waste of money.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I USE IT UNDER MY EYES TO REDUCE PUFFINESS AND SWELLING, BUT NEVER HEARD OF IT BEING USED FOR FLABBY SKIN. I SEE WHERE THAT THOUGHT MIGHT BE GOING, BUT I DONT THINK THE ANTIINFLAMATORY AGENT WILL TIGHTEN SKIN :(

what the ??? Does this work? I have tried so many things to de-puff my full set of luggage under my eyes and have been very disappointed.... I might have to try this!
  • tam_a_ram_a
    Options
    Maybe I should just buy some spanx????
  • jackflak
    jackflak Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Is it rubbing and causing irritation? Some insurance companies will cover the removal if it is a medical issue. Check with your PCM/Dr.
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options

what the ??? Does this work? I have tried so many things to de-puff my full set of luggage under my eyes and have been very disappointed.... I might have to try this!

Yeah, I've heard of that before but never dared try it!! Are there no side affects???!!
  • 3under2
    3under2 Posts: 133
    Options
    I fear it'll never go away. It'll get better but never be like you want it. I have an almost identical story. Set of twins 18 months after my singleton (I have three total). I also had two sections. I lost the weight but the tummy was horrendous. I had a hole in my abdominal wall the size of Kansas. HAD being the word ... Tummy tuck for me 7 months ago. I wore a girdle every day prior to my surgery. Without it, I looked 5 months pregnant because there was just so much skin.

I hate to be all doom and gloom, but I know what you are going through :(.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The only thing other than surgery that I have ever heard may work, is to get your body fat percentage extremely low, because even though it is mostly skin, there is probably a very thin layer of fat that prevents the skin from shrinking.

That being said, it sounds like a load of horse crap, but I read it on a website of a man who said when he got down to below 10% bodyfat his loose skin went away. I would say surgery is probably the only real option to get rid of it.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options

IT DOES!! But you have to get Preparation H with Biodyne. Unfortunately that one is no longer sold in the US, but it is sold in Canada. I order mine thru Amazon. Without biodyne it is useless for under eye baggage.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've used it under my eyes for years... it does actually help! It definitely reduces puffiness. I don't see it working on flabby tummy skin because the "puffiness" is caused by something very different. I should also mention it really doesn't smell all that great. A little under your eyes isn't going to be noticeable but using enough to cover your entire stomach wouldn't smell too great!

You can try dieting it off, exercising it off, etc, but in the end the only way to really get rid of may be a tummy tuck. I had one 3 years ago. They tell you not to gain more than a few pounds after having one or you may undo a lot of the good from it. Since the procedure is cosmetic and totally "out of pocket" it's very motivating not to regain the weight! I did put almost 20 pounds back on and have now lost it, and my tummy still looks great!
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    I have heard of women putting it on their face to tighten things up (help with wrinkles)... so, maybe it is the same idea?