A Success story from someone who eats 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Can you lost weight successfully on 1200 calories a day, absolutely, I lost about 50lbs doing that.

BUT you will probably end up like me and on here 3 years later trying a different strategy of eating more to lose because you gained most of it back. By the way, my body is completely different. The first time I was weak and flabby after losing a bunch. This time my body is getting tight and firm thanks to eating 1900-2100 cal a day and spending more time with weights and less with a treadmill.

IF you want to yo-yo with your weight loss forever, by all means, go for it!
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have to eat 1200cal Iam only 4'7" . I do well untill 3pm after that I am so very hungry and can not keep my resolve . I blow everything after that .Is ther a way I could see your food diary so I could make better choices

What do you eat for breakfast?
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Also those on 1200 cals are looking to lose weight not to build muscle..... which is an entirely different concept and requires an entirely different plan!! Try eating 3000cals per day and not working out and lifting weights for hours.... much different result me thinks!!

Some of us used building muscle to accelerate weight loss. That is what I have done, and its worked. As I am female, its impossible really to bulk up without a heck of a lot more exercise than I do. But the exercise I do has worked tremendously to make me more effective at my RL job which requires a lot of lifting.
  • seeashleysave
    seeashleysave Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think the point is to do what works for you. I've lost 88 pounds (SW: 319, CW: 231) exercising 5 days a week and eating around 1600 calories. If you can maintain 1200 calories and your body is not starving, I'm all for it.

No matter which way you start this journey, the most important thing is slow, sustainable loss. Any "fly by night" diet does not work long term. As much as we all want instant gratification, it doesn't work that way.
  • tbear358
    tbear358 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This entire thread pains me. I am a previous 1200-calorie consumer. Yes, 1200 is a great way to lose weight - it's just about fail-proof. However, LONG-TERM thinking, 1200 cals a day is not good. Your body needs more than this just to function if you do anything besides laying in bed all day long.

Do the math....if you burn 50 cals an hour...which most people do at rest...thats 1200 calories seriously lying in bed all day. If you walk around, do a workout, you're looking at burning about 1500 calories at least per day. If you're only fueling your body on 1200 calories, yes you might lose weight, but I bet your body is eating your muscle to get that 300 calories a day you're not providing it. You might keep this up for 1, 2, 3 years, but looking 5 years, 10 years, 15 years down the road, something is bound to happen.
    1) Your body will give out
    2) You will seriously plateau
    3) You're in maintenance and start eating above 1200 and gain it all back.

It's so much easier than this...Figure out your BMR (mine is 1375). Eat at least that - (I eat 1500). Burn 500 more than you eat. (I burn 2000+ a day). I've lost 16 pounds in 12 weeks. And I started out at 139 so it's not like I have a ton of weight to lose. Yet the scale still moves.

Yes, again, 1200 cals works, no one is saying it doesn't - but you don't have to do it that way. I used to be of this mindset and yes when you increase your calorie intake, you will be puffy and bloated and maybe gain a pound or 2 for a few days while your body readjusts, but it doesn't stay that way. It WILL adjust!!

The number on the scale is so much less important than optimal health. I hope this benefits someone.
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Okay people, I mean no disrespect to the OP or anyone that has responded, but cant we all just agree that there are people that can lose at 1200 and others at 2000? And what works for you is best for you. There's really no need for the 1200 bashing or saying 1200 is best for everyone. Each person has a different lifestyle, different level of activity, etc. I would personally gain at 2000 unless I changed up my activity level a bit, sometimes 1200 will do it for me, and sometimes I feel I'd starve if I didn't eat more than1500- and I'm just one person.

Congratulations to all who have lost weight and are living healthy, regardless of how many calories. Let's just support each other. If something's not working for you, try something else. We should be here for help and support, not telling people they're wrong when what they're doing is working.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options

I started at 253 lbs,

Blah, typo, I started at 263 lbs.

I weighed 211 today :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I can tell you guys why some people bash the 1200 calorie a day thing, its simple.

Many of us were on 1200 calories a day and either hit a plateau or were not losing. It was not until we raised our calories that we did, AND many of us felt better when we did this as well. Lots more energy and an over all better mood. So we want other people to realize that they not only can lose on higher calories, they may even be happier. People do not realize how they feel on 1200 until they raise them, they think they are just fine but then when they start adding more fuel to their body, get more energy and so on, its like WOW, why did I do that, I am never going back to 1200 again.

Congrats to the OP on your weight loss as well as sticking with it. That is a success story in itself. People that quit never make it to the finish line. :flowerforyou:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    OP-Congrats on your success! And thank you for posting your story.

I am 49, 5'6" and am very sedentary outside of my 4-5 days of exercise. I started at the end of Aug at 228, I have been eating around 1200 total and don't eat back many if any of my exer cals, since my maintenance is only around 1600, so I need the extra exercise to help create my calorie deficit. I have lost almost 33 pounds at this point, and haven't STARVED myself doing it.

Of course 1200 is not the perfect number for everyone, but it is very appropriate for many people who want to lose weight. For them, it works. Hundreds of people on this site have lost and maintained their weight eating at this level. You will find many of them on the success stories thread. Most of the people eating at this level are not very open about it on the forums because they see how badly some people bash others who admit to eating at this level.

But trust me, they are there, quietly losing weight, getting healthier, and proving all the naysayers wrong. I have close to 200 on my FL now and probably 90% of them are losing weight on 1200 or even less at times. Of course most of my friends are middle aged grandmas like myself!

Again- not EVERYONE needs to eat at that level, but there are more that do than people realize on here. I just really wish there was more respect shown for those who do, and less insults and blanket statements thrown around.

If you do the math, someone with a TDEE of 3000 who eats 2000 to lose 2 lbs a week is eating at a much higher deficit than someone with a TDEE of 1700 who eats 1200 to lose 1 pound a week, yet the lower cal person gets flamed for it.
  • djtulppo
    djtulppo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear your story. I too am on 1200 calories and doing just fine. I am not hungry I eat what I am allowed and just make really healthy choices to get the most of my 1200. I did this 20 years ago and lost 36 lbs and kept it off for over 15 years. I have been on 1200 calories since mid September and so far lost 23 lbs.

Keep you the good work.
  • darcyinmo
    darcyinmo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I lost over 40 pounds eating 1200 calories a day.
    When you make healthy choices, sometimes it's hard to even get to 1200.. healthy food can be very low calorie and filling.

Totally agree here! I've lost so far, and notice when I don't eat as healthy or clean I'm left hungry. The days I eat clean I feel stuffed and struggle to get calories in and am often low on calories those days, but full of energy, sleep better too!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I am niaive, but I did not realise there was such an issue with 1200 cals. Isn't this the whole point of this app. To work out how many cals our bodies need on a daily basis for basic functioning, by our statistics (age, weight, height, activity) and make sure we are in a deficite?? Hence weight loss. This is the whole point of using it, surely?

The problem with this app is everyone is gungho for 2lbs a week when they really need .5-1lb lost a weeks etting.
    Also i'm finding a lot of people dont eat back calories.

So the average human burns between 2k-2600cals per day.
    Simply finding TDEE and cutting 20% will give appx 1lb lost per week.
    Thats 1600-2k a day.
    So why go thru RMR reduction from under eating, giving the body a reason to maintain fat as best it can for energy?

Even learning simple physiology of fat will tell you that this diet isnt the smartest if gross doesnt hit a sustainable amount of calories.

1 more point then i'm out:
    The 4 major biological functions of fat tissue are
    (1) energy storage
    (2) toxin storage
    (3) protection against insulin resistance, and
    (4) protection against estrogen decline in women.
    Eliminate the functions of fat tissue also eliminates the reasons for its existence.

So if you have excess fat....why?

Are you eating too little?
    Do you have hormonal issues?
    Do you eat too much?
    Are you not moving like a human and picking things up?

MFPs default 2lb/week setting wants you eating back exercise calories.
    If you were to delete the workout side of the custom settings menu, 1200 goes bye bye.
    Do it right folks.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    congrats! I hope I can keep at it. My doctor years ago told me I needed to be at 1200 calories yikes! My hardest part is when you make stuff from scratch it is hard to figure out calorie counts, so I have to wing it a lot. Hoping the 1200 pays off soon this sucks lol
    Lots of websites including this one allow you to figure out calories in a recipe. I baked 8 desserts last week, no issues at all.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have lost 68 lbs since last May doing approx. 1200 calories a day. Some days more, some days a little less. Depends on the day. I am eating tons of veggies and lean proteins (chicken, fish, etc.) . I have a glass of wine. I eat a hamburger once in a while (homemade, not McDonald's (yet- it may happen, lol). I EAT. I had greek yogurt with almonds , blueberries, a banana, and a sprinkle of flax seed granola for breakfast. 400 calories, including my tassimo skinny latte, lol. I exercise every day (elliptical, walking, wii fit/active. Some days, if I'm hungry I eat more (100-200 cal). On holidays, special occasions, etc. I eat more, but I'm back at it the next day. It's working. I even drink some tequila once in a while, lol. I am eating a balanced, lower calorie diet, without following a 'diet'. I eat what I want, all while trying to limit my calorie intake so that it's less than I burn. I started at 218, and now I'm 151. I am still losing. I know it will slow down as I get smaller, and that's ok. I read here all the time, I and I try to take out the good info and use it to make my body better. If I was pumping iron all day, I would eat more than I do, but I'm not. I do some (light) weight training, at home, to tone, not build up. I feel good. AND I'm having a BLAST buying smaller clothes, lol. I am going on a cruise in 2 1/2 weeks and I just bought 4 new bathing suits. :D (2 piece!) YAY!

Way to go to everyone who is eating healthy and getting fit using this website. I LOVE it! I was a meal skipper before and then would eat way too much. This site has gotten me to better manage my calories, and think before I pile on the cheese, etc., lol. 1200 calories is possible for some people, esp. short girls..(5'3" here). I was 120 in college and plan to get back there (or close). I'm well on my way, and already back into size 8 and even in 6's in some things. :D

Keep up the great work!!!
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If this is for you, then congrats. I tried eating 1200 for about a month, and I was always starving! Low blood sugar has been a bit of an issue for me, and 1200 calories were never enough to keep the shakiness away.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    FTR, I eat over 3000 cals. Just sayin'. There's more than one way to skin a cat. And one of us will still look like this in two years. Can you guess which one?

See THIS is an example of the rude and insulting posts that some people make on here. You are comparing yourself to a lady, who is older, shorter, and spends much less time pumping iron in the gym. It is apples and oranges. There was no need for you to be so rude and insinuate that she is doing it wrong and you are right and she will gain back her weight.

Guess what, you could get injured, get a job or a girlfriend/wife/family that takes up more of your time and in 2 years you may not be able to work out like you do, and if that happens and you continue eating over 3000 calories, guess what will happen to your 6 pack?

Stick to what works for you, and stop the self-righteous insults to anyone that is different than you. Sheez, grow up!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    you seem a little dueschy

A little?
  • free2bjuicy
    free2bjuicy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I have been eating 1200 to 1400 calories since June 2011 and have lost 33 pounds honestly with little exercise. 1200 calories is not that hard to accomplish especially if you eat the right portions of food. My jorney has not been perfect cause i eat fast food items sometimes to I just try not to overdue it.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I am niaive, but I did not realise there was such an issue with 1200 cals. Isn't this the whole point of this app. To work out how many cals our bodies need on a daily basis for basic functioning, by our statistics (age, weight, height, activity) and make sure we are in a deficite?? Hence weight loss. This is the whole point of using it, surely?

The problem with this app is everyone is gungho for 2lbs a week when they really need .5-1lb lost a weeks etting.
    Also i'm finding a lot of people dont eat back calories.

So the average human burns between 2k-2600cals per day.
    Simply finding TDEE and cutting 20% will give appx 1lb lost per week.
    Thats 1600-2k a day.
    So why go thru RMR reduction from under eating, giving the body a reason to maintain fat as best it can for energy?

Even learning simple physiology of fat will tell you that this diet isnt the smartest if gross doesnt hit a sustainable amount of calories.

1 more point then i'm out:
    The 4 major biological functions of fat tissue are
    (1) energy storage
    (2) toxin storage
    (3) protection against insulin resistance, and
    (4) protection against estrogen decline in women.
    Eliminate the functions of fat tissue also eliminates the reasons for its existence.

So if you have excess fat....why?

Are you eating too little?
    Do you have hormonal issues?
    Do you eat too much?
    Are you not moving like a human and picking things up?

MFPs default 2lb/week setting wants you eating back exercise calories.
    If you were to delete the workout side of the custom settings menu, 1200 goes bye bye.
    Do it right folks.

Yeah.... Dan once again nails it right on the head.... :-)
    I'm real happy eating my weekly average of 1700 cals. And I lost 2.2 lbs in the last three weeks.
    OP, once again, congrats on ure weight loss. But I sure as hell cant imagine eating so little forever.....not to mention the fact that the older we get the less calories we need. Imagine where you'll end up if u dont exercise ure butt off every day to be able to eat more then.
    It wont hurt trying it Dan's way (loads of people do and has amazing success).... But of course its ure choice in the end.
    All the best to you. :flowerforyou:
  • clarkehn
    clarkehn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!

I can tell you that I ate 1200 calories a day for the first 50 lbs and I felt horrible! I was literally starving my myself (sometimes burning more than 1200/day in the gym - I loved my cardio). I now eat 1600-1800 calories and burn far less calories in the gym (better conditioning and I focus more on lifting then cardio) and I still lose at the same rate as when I ate at 1200 calories. Mathematically speaking this doesn't add up but that just shows that eating too low of calories has an affect on your metabolism and body functions.

As another poster mentioned you are loosing more lean body mass than fat. No one is bashing here (or not everyone that disagrees with your method).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!