PCOS....

Options
13»

Replies

• KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was told by my endocrinologist that those of us with PCOS should not have more than 3 servings of fruit a week and the serving should be the size of a kiwi. That is to lower triglycerides in the blood.

wow.. thanks.

though i dont know how healthy it can be o limit your fruits to such a small amount
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Only 3 friuits a week? Or did you mean a day?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Only 3 friuits a week? Or did you mean a day?

No, you read it correctly, per week. I eat a LOT of veggies and a minimal amount of fruit to keep my carbs low to lose weight at a decent pace and to control my triglycerides.

Sugar (whether it is natural or processed) makes the triglycerides raise in the blood, which is NOT good when you consume too much. So, I thought I was eating "healthy" and eating 3-4 servings of fruit a day and my triglycerides were through the roof.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    For your reading pleasure................
    Blood fats - triglycerides, cholesterol, etc. - to a great extent are intimately related to what you eat; therefore, your diet has a strong impact on the levels of triglycerides in the blood, so your food choices should be given serious consideration.

When it comes to high blood triglycerides, carbohydrates have a predominant impact on your triglyceride level.

"Since triglycerides are circulating forms of fat in the blood, you might think that a high-fat diet will raise triglycerides and a low-fat diet would lower triglycerides.

However, carbohydrate appears to be the most important dietary predictor of triglycerides.

Diets high in carbohydrates, especially sugar, lead to increases in triglycerides." (American Association for Clinical Chemistry)

As foods are within your control, a significant drop in your blood triglycerides level should occur in four to six weeks - if you follow a strict sugar-free, alcohol-free eating plan.

To a great degree, triglyceride production is stimulated by alcohol and sugar. Therefore, your first step in healthy eating means you need to eliminate or limit alcohol and sugar.

Banishing the sugar bowl from the table is an obvious step. However, there are many other sources where sugar is a primary ingredient, including:

concentrated sweets: table sugar (sucrose), cane sugar, brown sugar, Turbinado sugar, Demerara sugar, powdered sugar, honey, syrups (especially high fructose corn syrup as a substitute sweetener for sucrose-table sugar added to fruit juices, sodas, and other beverages), preserves, molasses, jams, jellies, and candies

desserts-baked goods: pies, cakes, cookies, crackers, frosting, pastries, doughnuts, ice cream, frozen yogurt, and regular or sweetened gelatin

beverages: fruit juices, fruit drinks, fruit punches, regular sodas, carbonated pop, colas, aid drinks, smoothies, sports drinks, sweetened coffee drinks, mocha, and chocolate drinks

high-sweet and sweet fruits (fresh or dried): grape (red and green), raisin, plum, fig, date, pineapple, apricot, melons (cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon), banana, orange

other foods: sweetened cereals, flavored yogurts, and sports or energy bars.
  • mlejoy3
    mlejoy3 Posts: 9
    Options
    I too was just diagnosed with PCOS. I found out because I lost a pregnancy :( I have been able to loose weight and am at a 72 lbs weight loss right now. I have heard that glucophage (sp?) can help with PCOS and help you loose the weight. That may be something to talk to your doc about. Has anyone with the PCOS had difficulty/success with pregnancy? I have two children, but have been unable to get pregnant/keep a pregnancy with a third and am beginning to loose hope. I am thourougly enjoying my weight loss, but my heart desires another baby in my arms.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I too was just diagnosed with PCOS. I found out because I lost a pregnancy :( I have been able to loose weight and am at a 72 lbs weight loss right now. I have heard that glucophage (sp?) can help with PCOS and help you loose the weight. That may be something to talk to your doc about. Has anyone with the PCOS had difficulty/success with pregnancy? I have two children, but have been unable to get pregnant/keep a pregnancy with a third and am beginning to loose hope. I am thourougly enjoying my weight loss, but my heart desires another baby in my arms.

Yes, I have been declared infertile by my doctor after 5 miscarriages. Glucophage (metformin) only helps with keeping the blood sugar in order to aid in weight loss.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info Lioness - I have elevated tri's, but still within "normal" range - I don't eat pasta/rice baked items or a lot of fruit, but I do love my wine. Now I know the source!:sad:

Just one *glimmer of hope* I have a very close friend with PCOS - she too was declared infertile after numerous miscarriages. She has two "miracles" today.:flowerforyou:
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Yes thanks for the info!

For right now Im going to keep up with my working out and watching what I eat. I get my results back June 3 so we will see how everything goes.
  • jesielin23
    jesielin23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I got diagnosed with PCOS 10 years ago after my first child. I was able to have 2 more. I went to a doctor who put me on Clomid to make sure I ovulated. As I understand it, though, PCOS is the leading cause in not getting pregnant but not necessarily in not completing pregnancies...Maybe I was misinformed. The other thing that helped me get pregnant with my third is that I had lost so much weight that it really helped even out my sytem. The only way I think it's possible to lose weight with PCOS is to just resolve to let go of all processed foods and sugars...Don't give up hope though, I was able to have 2 more babies! Check with your doc about clomid :)
  • SkinnyOJ2010
    Options
    I have PCOS and have been diagnosed since the age of 16, when I started taking metformin (it was in the trial stages at the time) and it made me so sick - no weight loss, no periods.

Whilst it may be "harder" to lose weight, it is definately not impossible. Eating natural, non-processed foods really helps! My periods are not back to a 35 day cycle too!
  • KimmyBee
    Options
    Even with taking the pill my periods seem to come and go as they please, usually being a week or two late and lasting way longer than a week. Its really annoying.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Even with taking the pill my periods seem to come and go as they please, usually being a week or two late and lasting way longer than a week. Its really annoying.

For me, eating a low carb way of eating with no grains and limited dairy my cycles come like they are supposed to and are light and cramps are no longer bad either.
  • KimmyBee
    Options
    Im trying to go low carb. But I love rice and bread too much =C

I do make sure im always under the amount directed by MFP.

How many carbs a day would class as low carb?
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
    Frequently Asked Questions

Home > Frequently Asked Questions > Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Give us feedback on this information
    [Printer-friendly version -- PDF file, 273 Kb]

What is polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?
    How many women have PCOS?
    What causes PCOS?
    What are the symptoms of PCOS?
    Why do women with PCOS have trouble with their menstrual cycle and fertility?
    Does PCOS change at menopause?
    How do I know if I have PCOS?
    How is PCOS treated?
    How does PCOS affect a woman while pregnant?
    Does PCOS put women at risk for other health problems?
    I have PCOS. What can I do to prevent complications?
    How can I cope with the emotional effects of PCOS?
    For more information
    See also:

Ovarian Cysts
    Infertility
    Heart Healthy Eating
    What is polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?
    Polycystic (pah-lee-SIS-tik) ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a health problem that can affect a woman's:

Menstrual cycle
    Ability to have children
    Hormones
    Heart
    Blood vessels
    Appearance
    With PCOS, women typically have:

High levels of androgens (AN-druh-junz). These are sometimes called male hormones, though females also make them.
    Missed or irregular periods (monthly bleeding)
    Many small cysts (sists) (fluid-filled sacs) in their ovaries
    [Return to Top]
    How many women have PCOS?
    Between 1 in 10 and 1 in 20 women of childbearing age has PCOS. As many as 5 million women in the United States may be affected. It can occur in girls as young as 11 years old.

[Return to Top]
    What causes PCOS?
    The cause of PCOS is unknown. But most experts think that several factors, including genetics, could play a role. Women with PCOS are more likely to have a mother or sister with PCOS.

A main underlying problem with PCOS is a hormonal imbalance. In women with PCOS, the ovaries make more androgens than normal. Androgens are male hormones that females also make. High levels of these hormones affect the development and release of eggs during ovulation.

Researchers also think insulin may be linked to PCOS. Insulin is a hormone that controls the change of sugar, starches, and other food into energy for the body to use or store. Many women with PCOS have too much insulin in their bodies because they have problems using it. Excess insulin appears to increase production of androgen. High androgen levels can lead to:

Acne
    Excessive hair growth
    Weight gain
    Problems with ovulation
    [Return to Top]
    What are the symptoms of PCOS?
    The symptoms of PCOS can vary from woman to woman. Some of the symptoms of PCOS include:

Infertility (not able to get pregnant) because of not ovulating. In fact, PCOS is the most common cause of female infertility.
    Infrequent, absent, and/or irregular menstrual periods
    Hirsutism (HER-suh-tiz-um) — increased hair growth on the face, chest, stomach, back, thumbs, or toes
    Cysts on the ovaries
    Acne, oily skin, or dandruff
    Weight gain or obesity, usually with extra weight around the waist
    Male-pattern baldness or thinning hair
    Patches of skin on the neck, arms, breasts, or thighs that are thick and dark brown or black
    Skin tags — excess flaps of skin in the armpits or neck area
    Pelvic pain
    Anxiety or depression
    Sleep apnea — when breathing stops for short periods of time while asleep
    [Return to Top]
    Why do women with PCOS have trouble with their menstrual cycle and fertility?
    The ovaries, where a woman’s eggs are produced, have tiny fluid-filled sacs called follicles or cysts. As the egg grows, the follicle builds up fluid. When the egg matures, the follicle breaks open, the egg is released, and the egg travels through the fallopian tube to the uterus (womb) for fertilization. This is called ovulation.

In women with PCOS, the ovary doesn't make all of the hormones it needs for an egg to fully mature. The follicles may start to grow and build up fluid but ovulation does not occur. Instead, some follicles may remain as cysts. For these reasons, ovulation does not occur and the hormone progesterone is not made. Without progesterone, a woman's menstrual cycle is irregular or absent. Plus, the ovaries make male hormones, which also prevent ovulation.