Have done the BMR and TDEE and I'm GAINING WEIGHT

Options
Sorry to post this, but I have religiously read and calculated to the point where I am making myself crazy.

I threw out the recommendations given by MFP and got my own. I started at 150lbs, but since then (4 weeks, I've GAINED 10lbs). So, let's start over.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Height: 5'1"
Weight: 160
Age 32
Female

Gives a BMR of 1487.3

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
Calculate Daily Calorie Needs (TDEE):
I have a desk job but I roller skate (roller derby) 3 days a week (and trying to do other activities), so I picked this:
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
Total: 1487.3 x 1.375 = 2045 TDEE

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php
Calorie Intake to Lose Weight:
15% of 2045 is 306.75 -> 1738.25
20% of 2045 is 409 -> 1636

I have been eating between 1600 and 1700 calories for almost a month now. I eat fresh fruits and veggies, rice and lean meat. I do have an occasional slip (which I'm trying really hard to prevent), but I'm baffled at how I've gained so much weight. To the point I'm about to get some blood tests run to check thyroid.

What am I doing wrong?? I've only eaten back some of my calories lost through skating. Should I eat all of them back?

Thank you for your patience!
Abby

Replies

• kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Are you logging your exercise? Because if you're logging your roller derby as exercise, you're counting that exercise twice... is that possible? Otherwise it sounds like you should be fine... but how's your sodium? I can gain a good 5lbs if I eat too much salt...
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    Hmm..I believe that with the TDEE method, you're not supposed to be logging calories lost from exercise (since it was already included earlier in the TDEE equation), and you shouldn't be eating anything "back"...because, again, it was previously taken into account...
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Are you logging and eating back your exercise calories? TDEE accounts for that already.

The easiest way to do TDEE calculations is to set your activity level at "lightly active" so that you can log your exercise and eat back those calories. Otherwise, you are eating too much.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    do you actually look "bigger"? it might be water weight
  • Ginger_Gal
    Ginger_Gal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. except I'm maintaining, not losing. It feels frustrating and disappointing, I know. I keep thinking it's my birth control hindering weight loss also. but I agree with the others. Don't log your roller skating. You're already accounting for that in lifestyle.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Have you lost any inches? BF % decreased?
    I started Insanity and in the first month put on 5 lbs, lost 4% BF, 4 inches and a pant size. My muscles were still in the repair stages (aka, retaining water).

It sounds you like may be under estimating your activity. I wouldn't consider roller skating and more as 'light', more so 'moderate to high' active. TDEE includes everything, BMR + activity, so you shouldn't have any exercise calories to eat back because it's included in that daily goal. For example I do Insanity 6 days a week. My daily calorie goal is 2100, that includes everything for the day. I don't wear a HRM or eat anything else back, just get as close to 2100 a day.

If you don't eat enough for you activity then your body will hold on to everything. I'd re-do the numbers at mod to high activity and give it another month. Plus get measurements, the scale can lie.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hmm..I believe that with the TDEE method, you're not supposed to be logging calories lost from exercise (since it was already included earlier in the TDEE equation), and you shouldn't be eating anything "back"...because, again, it was previously taken into account...

I agree - if you've already included the exercise in your original calculation then you shouldn't be eating them back as it's like eating them twice.

If you want to log your exercise cals and eat them back then do your original calculation and put yourself down as sedentary.

:smile:
  • tackie8383
    tackie8383 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. I have just started using this method, so I'm definitely not an expert. From my understanding though you do not eat back your workout cals on this method because they are already included in the "lightly active" selection.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Your math looks right. If you account for your exercise in your TDEE then you should not eat back your exercise calories as they are already accounted for in the equation. If you do additional exercise beyond what you accounted for then you can eat those back. Mathmatically, you would have to consume 14000 calories over your TDEE to have gained 10 lbs of fat in 4 weeks and I doubt you did that. There is no reason you should not lose weight eating 1600 -1800 calories per day. I would make sure you are measuring everything and counting everything you eat. Give it another month. No harm in checking in with your doctor. 10 lbs in 4 weeks may be a medical situation. Good Luck!
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    eat fewer carbs and more protein
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer saying that I'm sedentary as I have a desk job, then I log my exercise as it occurs and eat back some of my exercise calories, staying above my BMR... so that's generally what I suggest, that way I don't double count exercise, or go over if I'm not as active one week as I usually am.
  • Lulu14382
    Options
    Hello, how frustrating-I know! This happened to me & they are correct, if you are adding roller derby as exercise you are counting it twice as you said your activity level included it already. I was doing the same thing & couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I went back & changed my activity level to basically nothing & it dropped my calorie intake amount for me, I now add my "extra" activities as exercise instead of saying I am slightly active-I also have a desk job & I am back to loosing inches. Hope this helps-good luck!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I think it's all a lot of trial and error, honestly. There's no perfect method to calculate how much you should eat every day. If you are gaining weight and you think it's true, legit weight, you are eating too much. Maybe knock off 100 cals a day and see what that does after a week or two. My calories to *maintain* my weight are a little over 1700, and tons of people on this site are rapidly loosing weight at 1700. We're all so different and you really just need to take a deep breath, settle down, and find your sweet spot.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

I agree - if you've already included the exercise in your original calculation then you shouldn't be eating them back as it's like eating them twice.

If you want to log your exercise cals and eat them back then do your original calculation and put yourself down as sedentary.

:smile:

This.
  • staciarose13
    staciarose13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You may want to post this on the EM2LW Group. You may get more specific answers.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    If you're calculating your exercise in your activity level to determine TDEE when determining your deficit, you shouldn't be eating back your exercise calories at all.

That aside, if you calculated your TDEE, logged your food consistently, accurately, and honestly, and you're still gaining weight. There are only a few possible general conclusions. From a really general view, there's only one conclusion: you're taking in more than you're burning. But why, or how?

1) The calculations used to determine TDEE don't work for everyone. Sometimes people just vary from the norm.
    3) There's something wrong with how you've calculated your exercise. I don't know what that would be, but when we're looking at an energy balance equation we'd want to make sure both the energy in and energy out parts are both accurate.
    2) As you mention, who might have a medical condition.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You do not eat back exercise calories using the TDEE method since it's already included in the overall energy expenditure formula. So just eat between 1600 and 1700 calories.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Is there any chance you were mis-weighed in the first place?

As others said before, are you counting your exercise as part of your TDEE and eating back you cals again?

Any chance you could be pregnant? (Apologies if you are a bloke)

Do your clothes feel looser / tighter / the same?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add, that after 12 months of eating 1200 calories and started my reset with the TDEE method, eating DOUBLE that, I was bloated as HELL for a few weeks. When I did my cut, I started losing again. It could be your body in shock after eating so little before!