BUYING TREADMILL VS ELIPTICAL???

Options

Replies

• stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I have knee problems so running is hard for me, personally, I would say get a Heart Rate Monitor and get an elliptical because if you want to run you can always go out and run, and if you have a HRM then you can still know how many calories you burn and stuff
  • supergirljen
    Options
    Thanks! Basically I'm looking for whatever is gonna burn the most calories the quickest. LOL

I have them both. If that is what you want, get an Elliptical FOR SURE!
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Well, as of right now I am very, extremely out of shape. I'm 230 pounds and need to lose a lot of weight. I can't walk up stairs or anything without being out of breath. So for now... I want what's going to help me slim down and build muscle the quickest. In the end, I'd love to be a runner, though.

How you burn calories depends on how hard you work. I have done 99% of my workouts on an elliptical and have been very successful with it. After about 5 months, I started running for the first time in my life and found that I really did build a solid cardio base with my elliptical that I converted pretty quickly to running. With the bad winter weather, I am now wishing that I had a treadmill along with my elliptical.

For a beginner, I would recommend an elliptical but you need to get one that adjusts stride length to match your height and legs. Ellipticals are a repetitive motion and you can get repetitive motion injuries if they are not fit to your body. Treadmills have their issues too but the generally allow you to set your own stride length. Try both before you buy and I would recommend only buying something of quality...the cheapest of either will end up being a complete waste of money.
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Try both of them out and get the one you like the best. I have an eliptical now because of my knees but I find it pretty boring and I really have to push myself to use it but I will keep playing around with it until I figure the best way to "play" with it for me.

I have had several treadmills over the years beginning with a manual one and litterally wore it out. Loved it. Then I got a powered one and kept things interesting by varying the incline every minute. I would raise it a degree every 60 seconds and then after 5 minutes drop it back down to 1% and start over. It was a really great workout and having to watch it and adjust it every minute made the time I was on it pass quickly.

Whichever one you like using and push yourself on is the one that is going to give you the best burn. It's not the equipment, it is how YOU use it. Good luck.
  • Melishark
    Melishark Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have both and hate the Eliptical -- I call it the DEVIL -- because it's hard on my knees. That's weird too .. because I don't have any problems with my knees .. until I get on that machine. Definitely go with the treadmill ... so much easier on knees and addictive! :) -- Best of luck!
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Elliptical burns more calories but I hate it. I feel out of control and uncomfortable. Treadmill is a safe choice in my opinion. Especially if you've never tried an elliptical I certainly wouldn't suggest just buying one!
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I would try them out first. The only machine I can handle being on longer than five minutes is the treadmill. I watch MSNBC or Netflix movies and the time flies.

I HATE the elliptical and if I bought it, would never use it. They both burn calories so get whichever you are more likely to use.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Basically I'm looking for whatever is gonna burn the most calories the quickest. LOL

If burning calories is your ultimate goal I say go elliptical. You will burn more calories in less time with the elliptical over the treadmill. And like others have said, it is a lot easier on your joints.

for me:

30 Mins elliptical = 300 calories burned.

It may be more depanding on how fast you are going. It also depends on your current weight. The more you weigh, the more calories you will burn but typically 10 mins = 100 calories, 20 mins = 200...and so on.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical. I'm not a runner so I burn more calories on the elliptical than I do on the treadmill.

I'd buy whatever you think you're more likely to use!
  • dedriesmith
    Options
    It depends on your weight....3o mins for me is around 400
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    u can burn more on the treadmill. Put it on hill option and bump up the incline I always burn more calories this way.......
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    Neither, go with a bike (one that allows you to pedal backwards with resistance too)
    Like an actual bike or a stationary bike? I burn the least amount of calories on a stationary bike, I still enjoy using them but if calorie burn is what you're looking for, elliptical is most likely the way to go (as long as you actually use it)!
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've been using the eliptical because it gives me a better burn then just walking. I'm not a runner. The eliptical is not as tough on your joints either and works your arms too.

This, I bought one recently and loving it
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I preferred the eliptcal because it was easier on my knees and back. On the eliptical it is very easy to get my heart rate going and not hurt myself. On the treadmill I couldn't get my heart rate going and maintain it without something starting to hurt. Both are good as long as you get a good quality one or use one at the gym.
  • Santerre1984
    Santerre1984 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Eliptical..its more fun.
  • HuwaydaS
    HuwaydaS Posts: 116
    Options
    Treadmill!
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 302 pounds. I am now down in the 190's. I have used my elliptical nearly every day in the process, so that is what is doing it for me. It offers a full body workout and burns calories faster than a treadmill.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    Well, as of right now I am very, extremely out of shape. I'm 230 pounds and need to lose a lot of weight. I can't walk up stairs or anything without being out of breath. So for now... I want what's going to help me slim down and build muscle the quickest. In the end, I'd love to be a runner, though.
    sorry for so many replies, I'm just reading through all the responses now. However, if walking up stairs is still difficult, a treadmill might be the way to go! Ellipticals can be really tough for beginners, and treadmills let you start out completely flat and at a slow pace, you could gradually build up your endurance on the treadmill.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill. I'd go with the eliptical but really, all depends on which one you think you'd actually use.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

then elliptical