ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Has he introduced you to his wife yet?

bliss1.gif

Ok, I think I saw Mickey from The Monkees in that GIF
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Personally I would tell him that another opportunity has arisen for me and I need to know if he cares one way or the other if I date other guys. That usually gets you all the information you need to know, good or bad. If he goes all "growling dog with a bone" then have the monogamy talk. If he's like "Whatever", then at least you know where you stand. If he suggests a threesome (this has happened to me) then you'll have to decide how you feel about that. lol

Edited to say: If there's one thing I've learned in 30 years of dating and relationships, it's NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING!

BULL! That is absolutely playing a game. You're blatantly LYING to him pretending you want to go out with someone else in hopes of getting a rise out of him so he'll say "No baby, I can't believe you'd even consider that. I love you so much. Marry me now!!"

Absolute BS. You're too old to play such games! Ask him flat out if you want to know. "Are you seeing other people? I'd just like to know." WHY is that so hard? Why??
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

BULL! That is absolutely playing a game. You're blatantly LYING to him pretending you want to go out with someone else in hopes of getting a rise out of him so he'll say "No baby, I can't believe you'd even consider that. I love you so much. Marry me now!!"

Absolute BS. You're too old to play such games! Ask him flat out if you want to know. "Are you seeing other people? I'd just like to know." WHY is that so hard? Why??

If you don't like the idea of lying about her meeting someone else, then just present it as "How do you feel about us dating other people?". I just think that to make it all about HIM and whether HE'S dating other people while presuming that SHE has already decided to be exclusive is just skewing the balance of the relationship over to where he's the one sitting at the table and she's the little dog begging below.

There's an old French saying that in every relationship there is one that kisses and one that presents the cheek. You'll understand when you're older about why it's important to be the latter. ;)
  • odusgolp
    Options

If you don't like the idea of lying about her meeting someone else, then just present it as "How do you feel about us dating other people?". I just think that to make it all about HIM and whether HE'S dating other people while presuming that SHE has already decided to be exclusive is just skewing the balance of the relationship over to where he's the one sitting at the table and she's the little dog begging below.

There's an old French saying that in every relationship there is one that kisses and one that presents the cheek. You'll understand when you're older about why it's important to be the latter. ;)

I suppose so! I mean... you've been dating for 30 years. Clearly you've mastered this "game." I stand corrected.

:flowerforyou:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

You do realize that a relationship is not about power, right? It is a partnership and such?
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Personally I would tell him that another opportunity has arisen for me and I need to know if he cares one way or the other if I date other guys. That usually gets you all the information you need to know, good or bad. If he goes all "growling dog with a bone" then have the monogamy talk. If he's like "Whatever", then at least you know where you stand. If he suggests a threesome (this has happened to me) then you'll have to decide how you feel about that. lol

Edited to say: If there's one thing I've learned in 30 years of dating and relationships, it's NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING!

Hence why the best advice in this WHOLE thread is "HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH THE MAN". /thread
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Ask him.

Why do many women make is so Gdamn difficult?!

Also...I'd skip the games. Any guy worth having won't appreciate those sort of games to begin with. Dayum.
  • Ed98043
    Options
    You do realize that a relationship is not about power, right? It is a partnership and such?

Absolutely. If she wants to let him determine the pace of the relationship, then by all means she should keep quiet and wait so she can follow his lead. If she wants to be a partner, then she should be proactive about speaking up about her feelings and desires. I think two months of daily contact and weekly visits is not too soon to start clarifying some boundaries, especially if it's bothering her.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Absolutely. If she wants to let him determine the pace of the relationship, then by all means she should keep quiet and wait so she can follow his lead. If she wants to be a partner, then she should be proactive about speaking up about her feelings and desires. I think two months of daily contact and weekly visits is not too soon to start clarifying some boundaries, especially if it's bothering her.

So....again, the best advice is just to ask the man rather than play these games.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Ask him.

Why do many women make is so Gdamn difficult?!

Also...I'd skip the games. Any guy worth having won't appreciate those sort of games to begin with. Dayum.

right? Thank goodness I know where I stand, because I know how to use my words......
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

So....again, the best advice is just to ask the man rather than play these games.

Here people go... trying to make sense and stuff... Geez! You'd think direct, clear communication was important to the success of a relationship. :laugh:
  • Ed98043
    Options
    I'm just saying that she should remind him that dating other people works both ways. Is that so terrible?

True story - I was seeing a guy for several months (we hadn't had "the talk" but I was 22 and was still assuming things at that point) and one day I went over to his house and saw a newspaper left out with several singles ads circled. I asked him about it, and he gave me the whole "I want to keep my options open" speech, and I said okay. About two weeks later he wanted to know what we were doing Saturday night and I said I had a date (which I did, and I honestly didn't think he would care at all) and he got very upset. "But...what about us??". I reminded him that we were keeping our options open and he said, and I quote, "But I didn't mean YOU!!".

This is the mentality that we're working with. If you want to be exclusive, you have to spell it out. If you don't care or would rather have a don't ask, don't tell policy, then keep quiet. But never assume.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm just saying that she should remind him that dating other people works both ways. Is that so terrible?

True story - I was seeing a guy for several months (we hadn't had "the talk" but I was 22 and was still assuming things at that point) and one day I went over to his house and saw a newspaper left out with several singles ads circled. I asked him about it, and he gave me the whole "I want to keep my options open" speech, and I said okay. About two weeks later he wanted to know what we were doing Saturday night and I said I had a date (which I did, and I honestly didn't think he would care at all) and he got very upset. "But...what about us??". I reminded him that we were keeping our options open and he said, and I quote, "But I didn't mean YOU!!".

This is the mentality that we're working with. If you want to be exclusive, you have to spell it out. If you don't care or would rather have a don't ask, don't tell policy, then keep quiet. But never assume.

"This is the mentality that we're working with...."

Dating thirty years people. And it's all the mens fault.

w3Nbr_zps1f0f7216.gif
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I must have missed the chapter in the book of life where deliberately misleading someone and manipulating them is "spelling something out"
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options
    Also I don't think that "dating for 30 years" is a good basis for making you an expert on relationships.

I would rather take the advise of someone "happily married 30 years and capable of maintaining a mature relationship"
  • Ed98043
    Options
    I said "30 years of dating and relationships". Reading comprehension much?
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options
    Manipulative and passive aggressive much?
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    This is getting fun....!

But, I'm only eating 1200 calories, and carbs are the devil... so, I can't eat popcorn while I watch this continue...
    (sense my sarcasm?!)
  • thatfitgaal
    Options
    Grab some baby carrots instead ;)))
  • odusgolp
    Options
    tvwQC.gif