How do YOU stay consistent

Options

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I make it part of my daily routine and go at the same time each time I go, also I change up my routine every 6-10 weeks.
  • napson
    napson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You need to find something you enjoy!!! Exercise doesn't it have to be a task.... It almost becomes an addiction when you love :)

I agree. It does become something your body craves.

Different things keep me consistent. Sometimes its the challenge of mastering a new dvd. Sometimes its looking at myself in the mirror (and NOT liking what I see). Sometimes I'll just do an 8 minute workout so I don't feel bad. But most times my body just craves the activity and movement and I respond. Whenever it hits me I do it. I think that is one of the greatest benefits of working out at home - doing it whenever you want.
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    for me it is being so damn tired of being overweight that im just committed to getting to my goal! i stay motivated by watching Biggest Loser/fitness shows, stuff on youtube, staying very active in the message boards etc.. I look at old pics of me and I just want to get back to that weight. You just have to make a commitment and stick with it. WHen you have no motivation, force yourself to do it. youll be glad when youre done and youll feel accomplished. I tend to work out in the morning because I know if I dont, I wont end up doing. I'll find too many excuses not to. Find what works for you and just envision the end result. Good Luck!!
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I have self-motivating signs on my computer, which is where I spend all my "lazy" time. ;) "No one is forcing you to do this. Cheating is only hurting yourself, and no one else will even know or care. You're doing this for YOU, so decide if you want it badly enough!" This usually gets me off my behind and working out, at the very least.

But like others have said, I have two classes a week in karate, which is something I really love doing. Even if I'm lazy all week, I never have any trouble getting out of the house to go to class. It's fun, I feel strong and empowered, and I burn 1,200 calories in a single class most nights. (We train for two hours.)
  • likeA_boss
    likeA_boss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I plan my workout schedule the weekend before. I take a look at my whole week and figure out where it will fit. I pencil it down on my calender as if its an appointment and I stick to it! Bosses don't cancel ;) haha
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't drink during the week, that I would cut crap out of my diet. I treat it like any other task/job... I hate coming last, and I hate not finishing something.
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had this problem and I found someone to keep me in check, someone to push me and for me to push. It's hard and I know that it's not always plausible to have a person but if you have someone there holding you accountable and someone that won't LET you make excuses....it helps
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think of all the overweight people who act like I'm crazy working out 5 days/week and logging my food. By the time I get though my warmup, I'm ready to hit it hard :)

That's why they call it WORKING-out. It's not easy.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    <---- posting a picture like this as my profile pic. I don't like looking at it and it makes me get off my *kitten* and actually work out.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I just stopped looking at it as an option. Working out is NOT an option for me. I HAVE to do it. When I don't I feel like I'm committing a crime. Its extreme but it works. lol
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I find that it helps to have a program, like one of the 12 week programs on bodybuilding.com. The schedule is lined out, and you have to go to the gym at least the amount of days for the program. Take the option out and it's easier to stick with.
  • leketchup
    leketchup Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you are one healthy adult, great nutrition plan and intense workouts will bring you results! It will motivate you. For example I am my own motivation, need no bs.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day, I feel like I already start the day in the negatives as far as activity goes. That thirty minutes of commitment really just puts me on even ground. Just commit to thirty minutes a day, three times a week, and do it for [set amount of time]. After [set amount of time], increase the number of days a week or increase the time per session - no matter what it is you're doing.

You need to build a habit. You're not always going to feel like working out, but I don't always feel like going to work, either - it's a commitment and I know my lifestyle will be seriously impacted if I just flake out.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    If I had to go to the gym to workout, I'd be obese and on my couch. I hate gyms. Sometimes, if you've picked the wrong thing, it doesn't matter what you try it just won't work for you. Personally, I run. Can't get enough of running, but I can't keep a "regular schedule" for it either.

Instead, I set goals, and work towards them. Currently, I'm signed up for a marathon. Worried I'd flake out on training, I joined a training group. Now I have a coach who watches my progress (or lack thereof) every week, and will call me out if I'm not hitting my paces consistently. I've also got my first triathlon at the end of the summer - if I don't want to drown, I best get my butt to a pool a couple times a week (I fully admit I'm using the tri to more effectively cross train for my distance running).

For strength training, I'm doing the twohundredsquats.com thing, and the companion pushup thing. I hate strength training, but I need it for better/healthier running. Once I reach those goals, I'll set new ones, and push towards those.

If I didn't keep looking forward to the next race, the next event, the next pace goal, I'd totally flag and flounder. I know, because I've done it many times before. This is the only thing that's kept me at it for an extended period of time. If I simply said to myself "I'm going to run 5 miles a day, 6 days a week, for the rest of my life" it would last about a week - and I love running.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm religious around the weekends with a goal of 1K burn each of Saturday and Sunday. I then strive to get 1 other day during the week. If you are doing three days a week, you are doing well.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It is a mindset for me. I like the changes that I see and have experienced therefore, I just do it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You need to find something you enjoy!!! Exercise doesn't it have to be a task.... It almost becomes an addiction when you love :)

^^^^This. Hitting the gym isn't for everyone...droning away on cardio machines isn't for everyone (I hate it and only do it when weather forces me to)...DVDs aren't for everyone...spin classes and zumba aren't for everyone...Just find something you love to do and go do it; it shouldn't be a chore.

I have friends who get their exercise and I've never seen them set foot in a gym...lift a single weight...step onto a cardio machine...hit a spin class, etc. They just get out and do the things they love...they ride their bikes around...they ski...they hike mountain trails, etc. I do a lot of that too, but I have different fitness goals the necessitate lifting weights and more intense HIIT...but it's really about doing what you love and training to do things that you love.

I always thought training for the sake of training was boring...train for something...don't just train to lose weight (not necessary...you can lose weight with a caloric deficit in your diet)...train/exercise with a fitness purpose.
  • MMH86
    MMH86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Reward myself for "staying at it" works for me & drinking zeal keeps me energized :-)
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It's definitely the mindset. It might take time but once you really realize that you are making a great difference by helping your body one day at a time, that consistency will happen. Take small steps and build up. I also look at positive reinforcers! I reward myself often. It keeps me going. :)
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    A couple things:

Sports - usually is a set game time and you have to show up or it hurts the team.

Work out buddy - you'll push each other to go. It can be daunting, but if you have someone you are scheduled to walk with or work out with 5 days a week, even if you both have one 'pass' allowed per week you'll get at least 3 days in (and 4 if you still go without your buddy!).

Accountability - Post it on here that you are going to work out this evening, and tell people to ask you how it went. I did that last night, and if I hadn't there is no way I would have done JM30DS.

Accountability #2 - if you have kids or a friend or relative that you can be accountable to, and not just verbally but actually put your "money where your mouth is" and make some kind of payment due to them if you don't do your work outs - maybe its you'll do your kids chores for the day, or you'll walk your friends dog, or whatever - something that makes you 'pay up' if you dont' work out.

Bribery - "if I work out 5 days this week I can buy a new pair of running shoes". Or have a 'work out jar' and when ever you work out put $2 in it (or how ever much) and have something you want to buy or treat yourself with as a goal - maybe a massage.