im 21 and iv achieved nothing

Options
Im 21 years old iv achived nothing i dont have lots of qualifications im confused i want to personal training course but im doing a computing course im going to try and pass the computing course if i dont pass i will do fitness. im just posting does anyone have days where they feel useless

Replies

• s07civic
    s07civic Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hang in there bud. I have struggled with depression myself and just last week I had one of those days. I seem to feel down at least 1-2 days a week. Do you go to the gym often? I started going more often and found that it helps my mood. What do you mean by you're confused?
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    Hang in there bud. I have struggled with depression myself and just last week I had one of those days. I seem to feel down at least 1-2 days a week. Do you go to the gym often? I started going more often and found that it helps my mood. What do you mean by you're confused?

i go gym 4-5 days a week i mean by confused what to do in life i want to be a personal trainer or a computer or a police officer i dont know what i want to do in life i love bodybuilding u know
  • s07civic
    s07civic Posts: 50 Member
    Options

i go gym 4-5 days a week i mean by confused what to do in life i want to be a personal trainer or a computer or a police officer i dont know what i want to do in life i love bodybuilding u know
    Hmm. If you're in school, head over to career services? They can give you a MBTI test to determine what jobs may suit you. Also they may have advice for interviewing, etc. If you're not currently in school, maybe enroll in community college--it's cheap and to be honest you learn just as much as at a four-year private university. I think it's a really good first step!! :)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You're ahead of me. I'm 31 and just started attending junior college. You are also getting a handle on your health and your knowledge of health much younger than I did.

21 is a good age to start learning all of this. You're not behind.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    THIS.

Nothing will change unless you make it happen.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    If you don't like something about your life CHANGE IT.

If you don't like how things are going DO IT A DIFFERENT WAY.

If you have a goal in mind WORK FOR IT!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    There will be opportunities but you have to take them when they appear with conviction. Take it from somebody who started with f@&k all.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 21 is still a baby. Very few know what they want to be, and many people will have at least 3 or 4 'career' changes in their lifetime.

But, moaning and whining is NOT the way to find it... get to work!
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    at 21, I was working night shift at a grocery store. I had to leave school due to not being able to afford it . I looked around at the "night crew lifers" and despaired. That was not the life I wanted. I pushed my self to get back in to school, still not knowing what I wanted to do with my life.

What I did do was get an education, take interesting opportunities that popped up. some of them we just lousy, some were fun and a few helped point me in a direction I wanted to go. If you had told the 21 year old version of me what I would be doing at this point in my life, I would have laughed and told you to F-off.

my point is that you are not always supposed to a plan for the rest of you life, just keep an eye out for thing you think will interest you and take those chances.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    At 21, not having achieved anything is fine. You're young enough to be able to start catching up.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    well, you made it to 21, that's an achievement, so start there \m/
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Honestly? At 21 you don't need to know what you want to do, and acheivement is TOTALLY a subjective thing. I'm 30. I haven't lit the world on fire but I've accomplished enough to know my own worth. You need to be willing to take chances and jump on opportunities as they come, remembering that so many times we create those opportunities ourselves with what we put out in the world.

Also, cheesy as it sounds, attitude really is everything. Moaning about a thing never once made it better, you have to get up and do!
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Rachel

You may want to look further into repeat posts of the same topic. Some of the people's frustration may have been warranted. Just sayin you might want to check further than this post and give some of em a break. They use this forum more than that guy, and they bring traffic to the site.

Asrar

I think it sounds to me like you are one of those people who have strong feelings for tons of different things. Stick with the computing course you wont regret it. Think of it as a fall back and just continue on with your life if you decide you want to do other things.

I've been dealing with computers since I was a little kid but I got into doing freelance work for people at about 20. I went the web design route and I've been making money at it for more than 5 years now. But these days I really just want to go to school and learn more about some pretty random things. No real goals for making money anymore as I'll always have web design. But it is also something I love to do so hopefully I'm right about you being interested to a point you wish you could be a part of each of those things.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    does anyone have days where they feel useless

I am a former professional turned unemployed bum, thanks to the economy. I'm in my mid-50s, morbidly obese and undereducated for today's market. I have been out of work so long that I rolled off the unemployment roll.

So yeah, I know what it's like to feel useless.

The depression was so bad that for a full year, 98% of my day was spent in bed. I did not gain weight, but I lost a good bit of muscle and increased by body fat.

I'm still looking for work, but now my focus is on health--for both mind and body. The mind part is the hardest.

I think so many people are obese, anorexic or overly fitness obsessed because of depression, anxiety and other mental health issues. I hope to learn how to cope with life so that after I lose weight I can keep it off.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    does anyone have days where they feel useless

I am a former professional turned unemployed bum, thanks to the economy. I'm in my mid-50s, morbidly obese and undereducated for today's market. I have been out of work so long that I rolled off the unemployment roll.

So yeah, I know what it's like to feel useless.

The depression was so bad that for a full year, 98% of my day was spent in bed. I did not gain weight, but I lost a good bit of muscle and increased by body fat.

I'm still looking for work, but now my focus is on health--for both mind and body. The mind part is the hardest.

I think so many people are obese, anorexic or overly fitness obsessed because of depression, anxiety and other mental health issues. I hope to learn how to cope with life so that after I lose weight I can keep it off.

I feel that man. I'm pretty sure that is 90% of the reason I went on so strong about this stuff. It definitely worked for me though.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're in the perfect place to go do something amazing with your life!

You become what you think about. Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal.

Start doing things for other people. You may be surprised to discover that it's in that place that you find yourself.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Im 21 years old iv achived nothing i dont have lots of qualifications im confused i want to personal training course but im doing a computing course im going to try and pass the computing course if i dont pass i will do fitness. im just posting does anyone have days where they feel useless

You're only 21! I'm 31, and I'm back in school, basically starting over! You have so much time to figure out what you want out of life; so just start taking small steps (which it sounds like you already are) and you will find the right direction for you!

But don't let it get you down, there are so many 21, 31, 41, 51-year-olds that haven't accomplished the things they wanted to yet. The key word though, is YET. You can do it!
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I remember being 20, and horribly depressed because I'd dropped out of college, not knowing what I wanted to do with my life, and was working at Burger King.

I took some time, and thought about what I really wanted to do, then went back to school, got the degree I needed, and haven't looked back.

Don't be too hard on yourself, give yourself this time to discover your passion.
  • tish1951
    tish1951 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and just starting again to lose weight. 22 years ago I lost 140 pounds and put it all back on. My biggest regret is the feeling and knowledge that I have totally wasted my life. I have been held back and held myself back from so many things because of my weight. Even though I am starting again, I feel that it is hopeless because I will be left with so much baggy, saggy skin and wonder what is the point. The things I wish I could change are impossible to do now I live with many regrets. I know hindsight is 20/20 so if I could go back in time I know the changes I would make. You are young, your body is young, you don't have to worry about baggy/saggy skin at the time in your life. Sorry you feel useless but I don't know a lot of 21 year olds that have achieved all they want. Having goals and working towards them is, in my opinion, the biggest achievment of all.:flowerforyou:
  • disdatdude
    Options
    Be thankful that you are at the beginning of adulthood. Many adults are faced with getting knocked down and having to start all over again repeatedly. Age/time is not on their side. Yet, they realize that they have no choice. Please realize these 2 things and carry them with you -
    1) "It's not as bad as you think it is" and
    2) "There is someone out there dealing with a lot tougher situation than you are dealing with"

Hell, I'll throw you another one - Never jinx yourself by saying, "It can't get any worse than this." Avoid this statement at all cost!!!

My best advice to you is to avoid making the costly mistakes that young people make while chasing fun (avoid drugs, excessive alcohol, knocking anyone up and getting sick). Chose friends and associates wisely. Be safe and keep pushing forward. Never give up on learning. You can always start a career and then leave it to pursue another as long as you don't have any serious family or financial obligations.

The career choices you have listed are all fine choices. More will pop up. Shoot for the moon and if you miss you'll still land in the stars :-)