Unsupportive Members!

Options

Replies

• slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're unsupportive at all. Seemed pretty par for the course of what I'd expect if I'd posted the same thing. In fact, I saw a LOT of great ideas, many that I'd never though of myself.

But I'm glad you found the good in the situation anyways, and more or less took their advice.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I read the first few pages of the thread and honestly didn't see anything mean or unsupportive. People said they just got up and did it. Others told you about setting certain songs for alarms.

Loosen up a bit.

ETA: even the quotes you posted aren't mean or really sarcastic.

Edit it again after you finish reading the post.

Ahhh i read too quickly sometimes. I was also expecting another sort of post--there's another one going around right now. Totally my bad!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC POST!!!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    TUrGkKA.gif
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!!!!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Ahhh i read too quickly sometimes. I was also expecting another sort of post--there's another one going around right now. Totally my bad!

Whatever you do, don't read A Modest Proposal! ;-)
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Wow great post well said.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you're my friend.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    yup. just do it is sometimes what needs to be said, heard, and done. i remember feeling bad for myself, then seeing people on here who started out 200-300 pounds heavier than i am and now they reached their goals. felt like slapping myself so i got up to get sh1t done
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    z220125614_zps7f90281d.gif
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Whatever you do, don't read A Modest Proposal! ;-)

lol i think I was supposed to at one point and never did... I'm currently in grad school and I have to read a lot of articles and answer questions on them, so I've become pretty good at skimming to find answers. This time I failed... lol Sorry about my original post and I'm glad you are doing better waking up early! Never in my life will I be a morning person lol
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I read the first few pages of the thread and honestly didn't see anything mean or unsupportive. People said they just got up and did it. Others told you about setting certain songs for alarms.

Loosen up a bit.

ETA: even the quotes you posted aren't mean or really sarcastic.

ETA again as someone pointed out: Ahhh i read too quickly sometimes. I was also expecting another sort of post--there's another one going around right now. Totally my bad!

Glad you caught it :)
  • ilyahna
    ilyahna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Nice. Way to look at it. Sometimes a good kick in the butt is what it takes, eh? :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Agreed, great post.

And honestly, just because a post gets reported does not mean it should automatically be deleted, have warnings/strikes issued against the poster, or users banned. If we had moderators who would actually review the content of posts and see how it applies to the community in context rather than catering to overly-sensitive people and being trigger-happy, or gunning for certain users, .... sorry, if we had moderators who moderate .... this wouldn't even be an issue.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Word!!! :drinker:
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    MFPers were not all very nice, when I asked them for advice on how to wake up early for exercise (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819446-how-do-you-wake-up-early-for-exercise)

I've never been a morning person but the vigorous nighttime work-out got my blood pumping just before bed, making it harder to sleep and making the cycle worse and worse.

People said unhelpful things, sarcastic things, blunt things. "As soon as the alarm goes off, I jump out of bed and start beating myself in the chest while screaming ,'IT'S GO TIME, LET'S DO THIS!!' My children need therapy, but at least I get my workout in."
    "I just decide to do something and then I do what it takes to, you know, actually do it. The tips and tricks people are offering you only work for people that have already decided to do what they said they were going to do. [...] Man up. If you really want to get up and work out, then get up and do it."
    "throw the blankets off you as if they personally insulted you
    "

The consensus was "Just Do It." Not very helpful?

Nah, they were right. It wasn't flattering to be told to man up, but I took the advice that I asked for. I've been waking up at 5:00am every day for the last three weeks.

"Support" isn't necessarily enabling, commiserating, pity, or sympathy. Hell, I don't even know if support requires that people be nice. In this case, people supported me by telling me that the only way to get what I wanted was to damn do it.

So, for some people, being supportive is saying "man up." It's saying "grow up."

And so let me be supportive, to the people who are upset about this community, or offended by advice, report as abuse the bona fide good faith help they receive, or think they should be high-fived for their problems: you will no longer be upset if you man up. and grow up.

You, sir, just won MFP.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    This thread is too new. Please bump it in two years and I'll come back and read it. Just do it.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I love Aurie.

Edit: so yet another brilliant (hate to admit that) thread doesn't get nuked.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Auroran you're gonna get my thread abducted in the middle of the night and shot in the back of the thread and buried in a shallow grave.
  • LouPsych
    LouPsych Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you don't want an opinion, don't ask!