do you have any Chinese recipes?

Options
Im a massive fan of convenience foods, especially takeaways however avoiding them to chose lower calorie options. Does anyone know of any delicious Chinese recipes that I could try to make for dinner tomorrow? I have a wide range of vegetables, tofu/ meat and spices etc so just looking for inspiration.
Thanks!

Replies

• erodriquez
    Options
    stir fry.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I recently made an egg drop soup that wasn't too bad. It is:

2 eggs, beaten
    1/3 cup of snow peas, cut in pieces
    1/3 cup of water chestnuts
    1 tbsp of light soy sauce
    3 oz sliced mushrooms
    3 cup chicken broth (low sodium)

Bring the broth to a boil, add the eggs slowly and whisk after each addition. Then add the veggies and cook until they're tender.

It makes 2 servings (with some leftovers) at 121 calories a serving, 12 protein, 5 fat, 6 carbs. Mine was quite high in sodium, but that's because I was not a smart shopper when I got the broth. I found out later that there was some out there with half the sodium of the Swansons kind I got.
  • littlemisstickles
    Options
    Stirfry? The description of this recipe is so in depth. :-P
  • littlemisstickles
    Options
    The egg drop soup sounds pretty cool. Im going to do king prawn noodles so would make a nice side dish!
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I made a delicious Sweet N Sour Chicken Stirfry a couple nights ago.
    I dont have exact measurements, I kind of eyeball it. lol You could find the exact measurements online Im sure of it.
    Eyballed Sauce
    Tablespoon brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    2 Tablespoons ketchup
    1/2- 1Tablespoon vinegar
    2 Tablespoon pineapple juice
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    After you make the sauce add it to any basic stir fry with chicken maybe even shrimp.
  • JGreen1705
    Options
    I approve of this thread! Chinese food is my favorite, but it doesn't always fit my diet...
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    emilybites.com has a broccoli and beef crockpot recipe that is out of this world :bigsmile:
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I like those dry noodles that you can get in a cardboard can. Those are tasty, you should eat those. My mom used to put them on the canned stir fry.
  • erodriquez
    Options
    lol! Sorry, that was the fastest answer. I usually take one package of thin chicken breasts cubed

sauce
    Mix 2 tbl soy sauce
    1tbl rice wine vinegar
    1 tbl corn starch
    1/4 tsp red peeper flakes
    2 green onions chopped
    1 tbl brown sugar wisk together

2tbl garlic chopped
    2-3 cups blanched broccoli

cook chicken with peanut oil, add garlic and then sauce
  • jenbrenica
    Options
    Kung Pao Tofu

Ingredients

1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed
    1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder, (see Shopping Tip), divided
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1/2 cup water
    3 tablespoons oyster-flavored or oyster sauce, (see Shopping Tip)
    1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
    12 ounces broccoli crowns, (see Ingredient Note), trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces (4 cups)
    1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
    1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
    1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    2 tablespoons unsalted roasted peanuts
    2 teaspoons hot sesame oil, (optional)
    Preparation

Pat tofu dry and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Combine with 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder in a medium bowl.
    Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring every 1 to 2 minutes, until golden brown, 7 to 9 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
    Meanwhile, whisk water, oyster sauce, cornstarch and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder in a small bowl.
    Add broccoli, yellow and red bell pepper to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Reduce heat to low, add the oyster sauce mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Return the tofu to the pan along with peanuts and stir to coat with sauce; stir in hot sesame oil (if using).

Nutrition

Per serving: 200 calories; 11 g fat ( 2 g sat , 5 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 5 g fiber

Sweet & Sour Chicken with Brown Rice
    ngredients

2 cups instant brown rice
    1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 tablespoons apricot preserves
    2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
    1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons finely grated or minced ginger
    1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    6 cups bite-size pieces of vegetables, such as snow peas, broccoli and bell peppers
    1 5-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained

reparation

Prepare rice according to the package directions.
    Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and apricot preserves in a small bowl. Set aside.
    Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, undisturbed, for 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink on the outside and just starting to brown in spots, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
    Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 20 to 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add vegetables, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in water chestnuts and the chicken. Whisk the reserved sauce and add to the pan. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is heated through, about 1 minute. Serve with the rice.

Tips & Notes

Ingredient note: Chicken tenders, virtually fat-free, are a strip of rib meat typically found attached to the underside of the chicken breast, but they can also be purchased separately. Four 1-ounce tenders will yield a 3-ounce cooked portion. Tenders are perfect for quick stir-fries, chicken satay or kid-friendly breaded “chicken fingers.”

Nutrition

Per serving: 469 calories; 10 g fat ( 1 g sat , 4 g mono ); 68 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 7 g fiber
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING I have tried from this site is INCREDIBLE :) Pretty sure there was some chinese recipes on there!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

ETA:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Asian Inspired Recipes
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    For a quick noodle dish.... I will cook up some ramen. Drain the water.
    Add some steamed veggies. Top it with a fried egg and some sriracha. So good!
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Thread Bookmarked...Gawd i miss Chinese Food. Awesome Recipes. :drinker:
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Bump to save for later. Good thread!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you aren't picky, you can try Japanese food. I love this channel, Cooking with Dog:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog
  • beanerific518
    Options
    I had this for dinner tonight: http://www.pbs.org/parents/kitchenexplorers/2012/08/30/orange-chicken-vegetable-stir-fry/

I added a little bit of toasted sesame oil, hot chili paste and red pepper flakes. I might try a little less corn starch too next time. I used frozen veggie stir fry mix. Serve on medium grain brown rice.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    THIS FRIED RICE RECIPE IS AMAZING!! It's my mom's special recipe, although its not even special at all. It's just basically calrose rice, peas, carrot bits, a little green onion, bacon bits and the special part is this sweet chinese sausage. The name for it is just chinese sausage. It is amazing. Stir fry with some olive oil all together and it is the most amazing dish in the entire world.
  • rochellena
    rochellena Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any good non-deep-fried eggroll recipes? especially one that has a good crispy factor for the wrap?
  • joaneebabee_123
    joaneebabee_123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple...

BAKED EGG ROLLS

1 14oz Dole Classic Coleslaw Mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)*
    6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
    1 cup vegetable broth
    1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
    Egg roll wrappers

*I used julienne carrots, celery and sugar sap peas that I cut myself, but you can use the coleslaw mix…and I didn’t use the chicken cause I didn’t want meat in them.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add garlic and onion. Saute for about 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add coleslaw mix and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3-4 minutes. Do not let it brown, it will have a burnt taste. Add in veggie broth and chicken; reduce heat to low and let simmer until all liquid is gone. Stir in soy sauce. Remove from heat.

Place the egg roll wrapper so that it looks like a diamond. Add 1/4 cup cabbage mixture to each egg roll, placing it in the middle in between the East and West points leaving some space around the edge. Bring up the South corner and tuck end under filling. Bring the East and West sides towards the middle, they should be just about touching. Then bring the North corner down and wrap it around the egg roll. Place seam side on pan. It's not necessary to seal the edges since you are baking, but you can dip your finger in water and spread it over the seam if you wish. Repeat until you've used all the cabbage mixture (I got 17 out of it).

Spray egg rolls with cooking spray (this will help them brown up) Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until deep golden brown.

ALMOND CHICKEN

in a small bowl stir together :
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 tbsp soy sauce (low sodium is fine)
    1 tsp honey
    1 1/2 tsp cornstarch

set aside

cut up and have ready:
    1/2 cup slivered almonds

1 lb chicken cut into small cubes ( I dry with paper towels then toss my chicken in about 2 tbsp cornstarch just before cooking)
    1 large carrot cut into small dice ( I slice carrot long wise into 4 quarters then slice those to make small dice)
    3 stalks celery also cut into small dice (I cut celery in half long wise then slice)
    8 mushrooms sliced
    1 small can sliced water chestnuts drained
    6 green onions cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    1 tsp ginger (I grate mine but you can mince)

I use a wok but you can use a large frying pan
    in about 1 tsp oil (canola or whatever) cook almonds till lightly brown remove to a small bowl
    next add another 1 tsp oil and fry chicken when cooked remove from pan
    add celery and carrots to pan and stir fry for about 2 minutes add mushrooms and water chestnuts and green onions and stir fry another minute then add ginger stir in almonds then sauce heat through