Sugar intake, help!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• folieeadeuxx
    folieeadeuxx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Actually sugar can sabotage your body and cause fat storage, so try to avoid sugar as much as you can.

Trruuth!!
  • butterflydrumm
    butterflydrumm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is different ,also honey and molasses are healthy sweet sources
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is different ,also honey and molasses are healthy sweet sources

There are many micro-nutrients in fruit, honey and molasses, that is true. And fruit doesn't even come close to the fructose load of a piece of cake. Sugar has been stripped of all micro-nutrients. Even maple syrup contains 56 different anti-oxidants. Sugar contains none.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

This from the website that you linked:

"Cutting out sweet drinks is non-negotiable. Sweet tea, soda, and flavored and sweetened milks, waters, and coffees all have to go. Drink plain water, low-fat milk, and sugar-free drinks instead. A study of 810 adults between 25 and 79 years old showed that after 18 months, those who cut out sweet drinks had greater weight loss than those who cut down on food calories. One possible reason: While your body lets you know when it is full of food, there is no way for your body to tell you when you’ve maxed out on liquid calories."

Is this the kind of thing that you wanted us to know? Forgive me but you are being rather cryptic. :smile:

I am intent on answering your question. I perused both articles but don't see your quote. Please show me where you see it. Thank you
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are miscalculating your exercise calories? I would look into that as well...
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sugar, as you know, can cause an Insulin spike. Insulin triggers your fat storing mechanisms. It just is what it is. Additional, when your body increasse Insulin (storing fat) or Cortisol (which stores fat in response to stress), it shuts down adiponectin production which is a fat BURNING protein. People tend to poo-poo that whole insulin spike and its impact. Reality... it is true and a double whammy.

Why do bodybuilders inject themselves with insulin pre and post workout?
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I guess I forgot to mention that my weight is in the "normal range" I'm 5'8 and 150lbs medium frame (this is apparently a bit on the higher end for a healthy weight for that body type/height so I'm trying to be between 130-140). Would any of you happen to have any advice that may help me break through this plateau if cutting down sugar a bit doesn't help? Thanks again!

I think you are just hitting a plateau. That tends to happen the closer you get to your goal.
    Also I am 4 inches shorter than you and the middle for "goal weight" for me is 130 (thats with 30% bf) , so maybe you should re-evaluate your goal, take body fat% into account as well!
  • binkybabe
    Options
    Sugar most definitely matters, whether or not you are a diabetic. Sugar accounts for a lot of calories, i.e..sodas, desserts, breads....and the list goes on. Salad dressing is a common culprit. My weight loss came quicker when I gave up regular sodas!

Anything high in carbs will turn to sugar quickly in your system; and anything high in carbs is high in calories.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sugar most definitely matters, whether or not you are a diabetic. Sugar accounts for a lot of calories, i.e..sodas, desserts, breads....and the list goes on. Salad dressing is a common culprit. My weight loss came quicker when I gave up regular sodas!

Anything high in carbs will turn to sugar quickly in your system; and anything high in carbs is high in calories.

not true, fruit is high in carbs but not always high in calories.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

not true, fruit is high in carbs but not always high in calories.

That's because it contains a lot more water and fiber than say, a 4 oz. piece of chocolate cake, which is a very quick source for boosting blood sugar. A fast conversion of food to blood sugar is the enemy of those with "diabesity". The amount that is consumed at one time is also a problem. Eat a small orange and you will likely get something in the neighborhood of 4 grams of sugar (fructose). Eat a 4 oz. piece of chocolate cake and you will get a fast blast of 20 grams of fructose (in the 40 grams of sugar) with little fiber to slow down the absorption of it. Think that will have an impact on insulin response? Yep.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Sugar, as you know, can cause an Insulin spike. Insulin triggers your fat storing mechanisms. It just is what it is. Additional, when your body increasse Insulin (storing fat) or Cortisol (which stores fat in response to stress), it shuts down adiponectin production which is a fat BURNING protein. People tend to poo-poo that whole insulin spike and its impact. Reality... it is true and a double whammy.

Great question. Insulin also plays a key role in muscle stimulation and repair. Pre workout, yes, but mostly post workout. Body builders/weight lifters will drive their insulin way up either via HGI foods like honey or waxy maize or injection (less common) along with their fast absorbing protein (whey), Creatine and BCAAs. This causes accelerated protein absorbtion and muscel repair. Personally, I use honey. 45 g of honey carbs to 30 g of whey protein immediately after my work out.

Since most folks on this website are not body builders, I thought that it was probably best to stay away from this concept as it would probably create more questions than answers. However, I suspect most of the weightlifters are already familiar with this concept.

Make any sense? It really is a special case for an intentional insulin spike. Dave Hawk/Muscle and Body mag, does a nice job of describing this.

Thanks for asking and have a great day.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

If you are eating a lot of fruit, that could be contributing to your elevated sugar. I get a lot of sugar that way, too. However, the fiber in the fruit tempers the Insulin spike. In that case, it is just a carb.

Peace and good luck!
    Except insulin doesn't really trigger fat storage. Eating does. Insulin transports glucose to muscles and organs, not to fat. Fat storage is accomplished when fatty acids are stored in adipocytes. If insulin triggered fat storage, then why don't we constantly store protein as fat, since protein is highly insulinogenic, and eating protein causes similar insulin spikes as eating carbs?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Great question. Insulin also plays a key role in muscle stimulation and repair. Pre workout, yes, but mostly post workout. Body builders/weight lifters will drive their insulin way up either via HGI foods like honey or waxy maize or injection (less common) along with their fast absorbing protein (whey), Creatine and BCAAs. This causes accelerated protein absorbtion and muscel repair. Personally, I use honey. 45 g of honey carbs to 30 g of whey protein immediately after my work out.

Since most folks on this website are not body builders, I thought that it was probably best to stay away from this concept as it would probably create more questions than answers. However, I suspect most of the weightlifters are already familiar with this concept.

Make any sense? It really is a special case for an intentional insulin spike. Dave Hawk/Muscle and Body mag, does a nice job of describing this.

This^^^Great explanation. Those of us who have struggled with obesity and its related disorders likely SHOULD have become body-builders a long time ago but we didn't know any better, unfortunately.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options

This^^^Great explanation. Those of us who have struggled with obesity and its related disorders likely SHOULD have become body-builders a long time ago but we didn't know any better, unfortunately.

Glad you found it valuable.

For those struggling with weight/fitness management, we (society) have done very little to teach people how to REALLY be successful. 'Eat less/exercise more' is true but, unless you have someone to help/guide you, it can be frustrating, as demonstrated by the MFP bulletin boards. However, I believe, once you understand some of the basic physiology and body chemistry, it becomes much clearer. It did for me.

Have a great day and good luck on your journey!