Your Goal Weight (especially for those with a lot to lose)

Options

Replies

• NatWillBeSkinny
    NatWillBeSkinny Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    at 4ft9 i should be pretty slim so im aiming for 8 stone (long way to go) im 165lb now so gonna take a while but aiming for a stone at a time so it dont seem as much lol
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am 44, started this journey at 326. I have my ticker set to 159. I haven't seen that weight in over 25 years. I think I am going to aim for 175-180. That's the weight I was when I got married 24 years ago and I felt good and was healthy there.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Mine is essentially arbitrary. It's the max "normal" BMI for my height. I reserve the right to change that goal as I get closer to it.
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started off at 285 last summer which was by far the most I had ever weighed. The lowest I've ever been in my adult life was 200 so I set my goal for that. I have no idea how it feels to be thin and able to wear a swimsuit in public since I've been fat my whole life so I'm not even worrying about that now because the thought is overwhelming. I know I can do 200 because I've been there before.

I don't really intend to stop at 200, but I'll reevaluate my goals when I get there. I have a really long time to think about it between now and then. Hehe.

I don't know what it's like to be thin either! I haven't been thin since I came out of the womb! And even then I was a chunk! That is why "thin" isn't a goal for me --- that just isn't *me* My personality, my comfort zone, would be someone that still has a little meat on her bones -- but with a much more defined figure that can wear less dowdy clothes. And I am not shy about wearing a swimsuit in public -- in fact swimming is my form of exercise right now. If people don't like the way it looks, they don't have to look at me!
  • misspastry
    misspastry Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and my goal is 140. It's healthy for my height so it makes sense to me.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Mine is a completely arbitrary number, because the last time I weighed 150 pounds, I was 13 years old (I am now 40). I'd still be well within the range of overweight for my height of 5'1" at that weight. I am pretty close to my "goal" now, so I am sure I will end up adjusting it, but hey, even if I don't, 150 wouldn't be such a bad place for me, I don't think, I am 164 pounds right now and just in a size 10 and feel better than I ever have. I just want to feel good, for the most part.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I am 24

5'7"
    SW: 295
    CW: 270
    GW: 140
    Ultimate GW: 130
  • jensnewstart
    jensnewstart Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have changed my goals three times since starting 3 months ago! I started off at what I would like to be, second reset it to the top end of my healthy BMI, third time, I settled at 175. I'm 5'9" and have an enourmous bone structure LOL!

5'9"
    SW 224
    CW 200
    GW 175 (ish) may change my mind again LOL

Good luck, add me if you'd like I'm on here daily.
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and my starting weight was 265 with 275 being the highest ever. I set my goal weight to be around 175 which I think I will be happy at, I met my husband at around 190 and I'd like to be a little smaller than that. I'm not going to be skinny ever and I like that, my goals are derived from simply wanting to be able to keep up with my active little kids!

I was able to lose about 40 lbs last year during my pregnancy with my daughter and would like to lose the other 50 this year, it would be so great to reach that goal!

I'm also looking for a few new friends so if anyone thinks we have similar goals please add me!
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" so the recommended weight for a woman my height is between roughly 104-140 lbs. My lowest adult weight was 120, my highest was 170 (before joining MFP). That would give me a total of 50 lbs lost if I choose to go back to 120, but right now I'm just working to reach 140 lbs, and then I'll reset my goal to 135 and then 130, and then see how I feel from there. I remember feeling pretty good when I was around 130 so I might stop there, but I feel like it's better for me to focus on smaller goals instead of always paying attention to the end goal which seems way off in the distance.
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started this journey at 330 lbs and am down to 291 lbs. I set my goals for weighin 150 lbs. I would love to be able to shop in the misses dept once again. I don't want to be a skinny person just fit with muscle.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I started at 302 and now weigh 192 and the top of "normal" weight from the charts is about 159 for a woman who is 5'7".

I discussed this with my doctor recently and she felt that taking the excess skin that I have and that I once made it into the 150's and could not maintain that weight, aiming for 170 is a reasonable and attainable goal. I've gone from a size 26 to a size 12 and plan to stop at a 10 - it makes sense for my age and I know I will have to work harder than I ever have to maintain it.
    I hadn't thought of that but it is a real factor to take into consideration.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I chose 174, because when I got started some calculator showed that as maximum weight I could be and still be in the "normal" range of weight.

Of course, I haven't weighed that since my senior year of high school.

My other thought is that I've learned in life to shoot for reach goals, because if you fall short, and let's admit it, all of us do sometimes/often, at least then you'll still have a good result.

Aim for B's in school, and you'll get B's and C's. Aim for straight A's, and you'll maybe get a mix of A's and B's. Which is a better goal?
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, with a very powerful build. My goal is between 200 - 180 (which still puts me in an over weight BMI...meh). But, my lean mass is roughly 138lbs, so 180lb is 20% body fat - 200lb is 25%. I was a size 12 when I was a slender pre-teen with smaller hips. I would love to, but don't expect to, be able to shop at "normal" stores (esp not for shirts... my shoulders are ridiculous.) LOL My husband jokes with his co-workers that he's afraid to start a fight with me 'cause if I wanted to I could throw him down the stairs... and he likes that about me.

I found a good body fat calculator... one that is more than just BMI. Once you know your body fat%, you can figure out your lean mass, and get a better idea of what your goal weight should be. Esp for muscular ladies, it may be higher than some height/weight chart that doesn't care that wear mens size 11 shoes.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, and before I got pregnant with my daughter, I was in the best shape of my life. 122lbs, with almost no body fat and LOTS of muscle. Before I got so in-shape, I was 132 at my heaviest, and even then I felt good. That's how I chose my goal weight - I want to be somewhere right around 132. My very first goal was 135, and just today, after seeing the pounds really coming off and being just a few pounds over that goal, I set my goal to 130 so I don't feel like it's "good enough" and decide to get lazy. 130 is a reasonable, attainable goal for me without being the sort of crazy I was before I got pregnant, haha. If I can go lower, great! But I'm not going to beat myself up over it. :)
  • Firestar98
    Firestar98 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    While looking at the forums and making new friends here the past few weeks, I have been checking out folks' tickers and their goal weights. I'm curious about how you all came to choose your goal weight. Is it doctor recommended? Dictated by governmental or other formal guidelines for someone your gender and height? Is it a weight you once were and were happy with how you looked or felt? For those with a lot to lose -- did you choose a weight that may still be in that category of overweight because it seemed a little less intimidating than what folks SAY someone your gender/height should be?

I am 5'9" and weigh over 400 pounds. For a female at this height -- I *should*, according to standards, weigh around 160. Even my doctor thinks that would be really thin for me. I have set my goal weight at 200. This would still be "overweight" by some guidelines -- but I remember weighing 200 pounds -- being a size 12/14 -- and I recall being pretty happy there. Doesn't mean I'll stop there -- but right now it seems attainable -- and I don't want to overwhelm myself with some unrealistic goal when I have such a long way to go.

Thoughts??

Some people will say 400->200 is a great goal... I don't think it is. I think the numbers are too distant from one another, and will result in you getting discouraged because you won't feel like you're making significant progress towards your stated goal.

Over on the FitDay forums folks try to set short-term and long-term goals (I'm sure it's the same here, but I haven't noticed anyone recommend such things yet.) A short-term goal might be "I want to be XXX by St. Patrick's Day", or "I want to be YYY by Columbus Day". In that way you can gauge where you're failing and when weight is getting more difficult to remove. One of my biggest issues is that I was losing close to 12 pounds per month for the first 7 months of my diet... after that the holidays hit and I didn't reset my expectations, but I completely adjusted back to my old eating habits because of the holidays (my family enjoys making gigantic portions of every food possible for Thanksgiving, Christmas and birthdays around that time.) I ended up gaining 10 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years, rather than losing almost 15 pounds like I expected. It was a HUGE blow but I bounced back and lost a bunch more weight, eventually getting down to 230 pounds (from my start at 341.) Had I set more realistic goals I probably wouldn't have been so easy to say "meh, it'll only be 1-2 pounds, I'll eat more during the holidays", thus justifying my poor eating habits.

TL;DR: Try to set a short-term goal, and maybe a mid-term goal that you'll adjust as you meet 1-2 short-term goals, then have a long-term goal of 200.
  • nora711
    nora711 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started at 120.3 kg (265 lbs) and currently weigh 117.2 kg (yeah, I just started :P). I have decided on 60 kg (132 lbs) as my goal. This puts me at a healthy bmi (163.5 cm/5'36) with a bit of wiggle room.
    I could be at a healthy bmi weighing anywhere from 50-66 kg (110-145 lbs), but I figured 60 was a good place to start. I can reassess when I get there, and maybe focus more on body fat at that point :).
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My other thought is that I've learned in life to shoot for reach goals, because if you fall short, and let's admit it, all of us do sometimes/often, at least then you'll still have a good result.

Aim for B's in school, and you'll get B's and C's. Aim for straight A's, and you'll maybe get a mix of A's and B's. Which is a better goal?

Excellent advice and words of wisdom!
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    HW 299 birth of 2nd child

SW this time 220

First Goal 199

Second Goal 174 (overweight instead of obese)

GW 150 for now.

Here are my goals notice my goal weight is a for now. I will reevaluate once I get closer. I don't know what it will look like or if I will be happy.

I do know that according to BF% that I have aprox 122 lbs of LBM but how much of that will I retain? I am trying to preserve by doing strength and getting at least 1 g of protein for every pound of LBM but there is just to many unknowns about when I get to goal so it is fluid for now.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't read many responses but I wanted to say I'm 5'9" and 160 would be very thin for my frame also. For now I have it set to 200 but I'm thinking 175 may be doable.