I must STOP!

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I weight once a week. Occasionally I will weight mid-week if I feel I am doing either especially good or bad, just to see how it's affecting my weight loss/gain.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day precisely because of fluctuations! We all know about water retention, etc. Let's say I only way on Mondays...this Monday I'm 145.6, but next Monday I'm 147.2. huh??! I'd get so discouraged knowing I worked hard all week and without seeing it on the scale. Whereas if I weight daily, I can more easily track the fluctuations and see the results...145.6 may be 147.2 the next day, but by the third day it could be 144.8.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh myself twice a day now I weigh myself once or twice a month. The scale can be discouraging at times. I ended up focusing on the inches I'm losing alone. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

:flowerforyou:
  • lagreen57
    Options
    I weigh everyday because my goal is to lose weight and I want to be conscious of my weight gain or loss. I always weigh at the same time of the day (morning). I find that weighing myself is very motivating. If I exercise and record what I eat, there will no doubt be success in the long run.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself several times a day. I generally take the number with a grain of salt, but I find it really motivating to keep seeing the number. Last year at this time I was nearly 215lbs. I'm down to 178 now. Even if the scale reads 182 or 185 when I step on (due to fluctuations throughout the day), seeing the first number as "1" and not a "2" reminds me of how far I've come! Also, if I see it consistently read high for a week or two, I know I need to be more observant on what I'm eating and how much I'm working out.

That being said, I absolutely understand how this can be different for different people. I don't think there's a right or wrong way!

Great job on the loss!! That is about where I started, I was 220.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The exact reason I only weigh once a week and I am sure my family thanks me for that;)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Put a ton of shi+ on your scale, like boxes, weights, lots of heavy things so that way if you want to weigh then you will get a workout in taking all the stuff off - then have to put it all back on top!
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I know this is a bit extreme, but I weigh in once a month. Weighing everyday won't make it come off any faster...

Edit: Grammatical

So true! And it can be very demotivating! I don't have a scale at home. I weigh at work once a week.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily.. I know if the scale goes up it isn't so much weight gain but I am 99% always in the deficit. I noticed I usually show an increase right before I show a decrease...

I would rather know on a daily basis what my weight is then to wait a week and find I went up...
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Do you weigh daily?
    Have you ever weighed daily and stopped? Why?
    What do you think about my scale addiction?

Yes
    No, not since 12/24/11
    It's all in how you process the information. It is just information and when you are trying to lose or maintain weight, it may or may not mean I need to alter my activity level or caloric intake.
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    Nope. The first time I weighed in and hadn't lost a single pound in a week I told myself I'm only going to weigh in every two weeks. You're not going to see a dramatic loss in one day (unless you're really sick or something) so what's the point? Even if you lose or gain like half a pound..it could be water weight.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I put my scale away almost 2 weeks ago. I was getting so frustrated that it wouldn't move in the direction I wanted it to. I weighed in this morning - 2 pounds down!! :)

I'll say 100x over, losing weight is more MENTAL for me... putting that scale away helped me a TON!
  • mittyrox
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every day but it was not good for me. MY suggestion is that you pick 1 day a week and you stick to it. I weigh every Friday. If I am up, I try to be really good the next week, and if I am down, I just keep on doing what I'm doing.
  • mittyrox
    Options
    Your value is not the number on the scale. You cannot let this number define you and weighing every day does this.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I weigh whenever I feel like it. Every day sometimes, even more than once in a day, maybe once per week for awhile, even less often when I get busy or mad at the scales.
  • ohtobe140
    Options
    I weigh every morning and every evening before dinner. I can usually predict my weight to .2 of a lb. I think it's perfectly fine to weigh every day, but not if it makes you cranky. I know I will weigh more the following day if I did weight training the previous day, if I eat after 7:00 p.m. and if I eat a heavy carb day (which I do intentionally because it's what my body wants at the time) The weight on the scale does not define who you are, it's just a metric tool to gauge how your body is working. I have learned what foods help me shed extra water and what food store extra water. I eat all the salt I want because some days I don't want salt at all. I don't eat wheat because it makes me physically sick and dizzy.

Don't do things that make you cranky, it's really hard to keep working toward your goal if you are pissy about getting there. Every day, I write the day's current weight and the previous weight from the week before, the general trend is downward and that's all that really matters. If your general trend is not down, then re-evaluate what you are doing and try something else. We are all works in progress and no one has perfect days every day. Hang in there. It's just a number, it's not your soul.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    If you are going to be a daily weigher, you have to understand how the food you eat effects your daily weigh-ins. Coming off a day in which I met my goal but ate a large volume of food, my weight in the morning was 2lbs higher than it was the following morning after my body had processed everything. A high sodium day will have an effect on the scale as well.

I find it motivating and I use it to track my incremental losses (like the .1lbs) which keeps me mentally focused on reaching that next full pound, just like mile markers on the turnpike or highway. Each .1 is another step closer to my destination.

Weighing daily may actually increase your weight loss results (http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20051118/daily-weigh-in-may-help-dieters-lose), but as all things with weight loss, its a personal thing, you have to find what works for you. Sometimes the scale is not the appropriate measuring tool, but instead a measuring tape. You can only lose 3-4lbs but lose several inches based on where you are and type of workout routine.
  • heiditracker
    heiditracker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I, like you, can ruin my whole day and possibly be depressed for days when I step on the scale. I only weigh myself, once a week. Now that I am diligently exercising, it gives me a thrill to step on and see my weight, which is starting to be less every week. My real measurement of progress though, is a pair of jeans I love and what I do every now and then, is slip them on to see how they feet. It's amazing because even though my scale say's one thing, I can see and feel the difference in my shape, especially my thighs, butt and that dreaded muffin top shrinking. I have come to be more obsessed with logging my food and exercise everyday on MFP. It takes the place of the scale and I see the progress daily (in reports if you use it). I'm so happy a friend turned me on to this site.
  • naterar
    naterar Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes for sure, that will drive you crazy for sure..... I now weigh myself every two week just to see where I am at. I now go by how I feel more than what the number says and it is alot better mentally. Stick with it you will get there..
  • huanu
    huanu Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do it too and I am totally addicted! Problem is that it makes me soooooo frustrated when I am up so it throws my day off.... but still I keep doing it... grrrrr!!:mad: