Your Goal Weight (especially for those with a lot to lose)

Options

Replies

• smurfaggie07
    Options
    While looking at the forums and making new friends here the past few weeks, I have been checking out folks' tickers and their goal weights. I'm curious about how you all came to choose your goal weight. Is it doctor recommended? Dictated by governmental or other formal guidelines for someone your gender and height? Is it a weight you once were and were happy with how you looked or felt? For those with a lot to lose -- did you choose a weight that may still be in that category of overweight because it seemed a little less intimidating than what folks SAY someone your gender/height should be?

I am 5'9" and weigh over 400 pounds. For a female at this height -- I *should*, according to standards, weigh around 160. Even my doctor thinks that would be really thin for me. I have set my goal weight at 200. This would still be "overweight" by some guidelines -- but I remember weighing 200 pounds -- being a size 12/14 -- and I recall being pretty happy there. Doesn't mean I'll stop there -- but right now it seems attainable -- and I don't want to overwhelm myself with some unrealistic goal when I have such a long way to go.

Thoughts??

Today I'm at 337.7 and my goal is 200 as well. I think I'll be happy there, that's all.
  • LouPsych
    LouPsych Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I set my goal weight because of a bet site I'm involved in: Healthywage.com. Need to get to a healthy BMI in a year (<25), and 145 pounds is where my weight falls. However, the least I have ever weighed was 135 pounds and I liked how I felt/looked then. If I get there, fine. My main objective is to be healthy with less weight.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I started out at 232.8. I am 5 foot 6. I always liked myself at a size 14. At my age (62) I have no idea where that will be. Right now my goal is 150 but I an setting 20 pound goals to see something more do-able. But the last pound is the hardest thing to do. I am stuck at 19 right now. Good luck
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I set my goal weight because of a bet site I'm involved in: Healthywage.com. Need to get to a healthy BMI in a year (<25), and 145 pounds is where my weight falls. However, the least I have ever weighed was 135 pounds and I liked how I felt/looked then. If I get there, fine. My main objective is to be healthy with less weight.

I think I read a story in the news a couple weeks back about that web site -- how does that work?
  • 5'6 with a goal of 108.
  • ceemeelose
    ceemeelose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and weigh 412 down from 475 pounds. Im not sure of what weight I would like to get down to, i guess it depends on how I look as i continue this journey. But I would definitely like to see 300 pounds.
  • zagrath769
    zagrath769 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't want to overwhelm myself with some unrealistic goal when I have such a long way to go.

Very good thinking.
    I set my goal weight for 150. I currently weigh 255. I am 5'3.
    I set my goal to 150 because that's about what I weighed in High School and I was happy and comfortable at that weight. According to the standards I'm supposed to weigh between 114-140 (what a range!). I think you've got your head on straight about this. Take small steps and be realistic. You'll do fine. Friend me if you'd like and I'll try to support you as best as I can.
  • shandi_b
    shandi_b Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight to be the top of the "healthy weight range" for my height. I am 172 cm (5'8"), so it would make my goal around 74kg (or 163 lbs). (Start weight - nearly 255 lbs, Current weight - approx 236 lbs).
    When I was 18 - at my lowest weight, I was around 123 lbs and looking back at photos I looked drained most of the time. When I got married - I was around the 69kg mark (approx 152 lbs) and I was healthy looking.......although that might be a bit hard for me to get down to now.

I'd be happy to get to the 159-164 lbs pound mark - I think that is more realistic for my age.

On a side note - one of my doctor's said that he didn't think it would be possible for me to lose a lot of weight and keep it off and said he would be happy for me just to get to 90kg (198lbs)..........I have taken it as a personal mission to prove him wrong (slowly but surely) :)
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and weigh 412 down from 475 pounds. Im not sure of what weight I would like to get down to, i guess it depends on how I look as i continue this journey. But I would definitely like to see 300 pounds.

Congrats on the loss so far!! And I am really excited at the thought of being back in the 300s. That will probably seem so weird to some people -- but it really is one step at a time.
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I started at 282 I have my goal set for 200. I am 5'5. This is WAY above the recommeded weight for my height. I think I am suppose to be 135-150ish ( don't quote me on that).

I realize that the majority of ppl are horrified at the very thought of even being 200 lbs.When I was at my very thinnnest I was 175 and a size 10 and the only way I was losing more weight is if they started removing vital organs. I will never be *normal* according to the BMI charts but I couldn't care less. What is most important to me is what I feel best at and what I feel most healthy at and that is what I am working towards.
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! I am 5'3 and started at 330 and hit 149, size 6-8, which is what my doctors recommended, because that's what they are told. I immediately bounced up to 160, size 8-10, which was very discouraging, now I am back at 230. However, I felt horrible at 149, light headed, irritable bowel, grumpy. What I can say is I really felt my absolute best at 160, and that is probably where I will land this time even though everything/everyone says I need to be 145 max. Focus on healthy eating, exercise, but pay even closer attention to how you feel during the process. Keep up the great work.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm female, 56 years old, and 5'6". I started at about 395 almost 5 years ago, and Im now at 285 and my goal is 200. At the rate I'm going I should reach that goal sometime during the summer of 2014.

About 20 years ago I did Nutrisystem and got down to 200. Even though all the BMI charts said I was still overweight, it felt like a good healthy weight so that's my current goal. I'll re-evaluate when I get there.

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • davilynrainwater
    Options
    My doctor told me I should weigh 175. I am six feet tall, currently weigh 239, and am on a cancer med.
  • tenas
    tenas Posts: 121
    Options
    I haven't set a final goal weight. I've set mini-goals to work towards (5% increments, 25 lb increments, major milestones) and my ticker goal is set at the weight of my next mini-goal. When I reach a weight where I feel healthy and comfortable I will consider that to be my final goal.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My ticker is set to my first goal...which is a small one. I picked my ultimate goal weight as I think its probably a "healthy" weight for my height and build. I'm 5"7' and my ultimate goal is 155-160

^^^This. I have to focus on a little at a time.
  • workinprogress1533
    Options
    I am 5'9" and weigh 212. Right now I am the biggest that I have ever been , even bigger than when I was 9 months pregnant :(
    I am not happy or comfortable at this weight. I am tired all the time and it's time for a change.
    I set my goal weight for the weight I was when I was at my thinnest. Which was 150.
    However, if I get down to 160 and I am happy and feel good, then I will stay there.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    179 is my goal weight but I wouldn't mind if it were a lot higher if it was all extra muscle weight.
  • jbs2travel
    jbs2travel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 7", 66 yrs old and currently weigh 235#. A year ago I was at 275#, was diagnosed with diabetes and lost the weight. I have been on a plateau for for a few months now, but have started to exercise more regularly. I set my goal weight at 180# even tho the charts all say I should weigh much less than that. I will see how I feel/look at that weight and reassess if necessary. Being fit and healthy is my goal and I would love to walk in to any store and be able to buy clothes!! If you like, you can friend me and we can support each other on this journey.
  • cardinalskate
    cardinalskate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I didn't set my goal weight all the way where I ultimately want it, either. I put it at 200 and thought if I can reach that, I'll feel so good that another 50 pounds will be nothing! I'm 5'10" and am on my way.
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I started out @ 281 pounds. My goal weight is 175. It wasn't picked by a doctor or looking at websites. I just picked a number that felt "right" to me. In 2006 right after I had my first daughter I got down to 201 pounds and I thought I looked really good. I would of been happy just to be under the 200 mark. With that being said my "number goal" is 175 but my goal is just to be happy with the way I look. So it could end up being more then 175.
    Feel free to add me as a I friend. :)