Kale eaters... How do you eat it?

Options

Replies

• shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Bump.. I thought mine was bitter the last time I got it. I wonder if I waited too long to eat it. I will be getting more in my produce basket from the coop this week, so thanks for the ideas!!!
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    Fresh Kale is best...I love baby kale. I mix spinach, romaine and baby kale!
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    In a smoothie or lasagna. Here is the recipe for lasagna. It always gets good reviews. http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/kale-lasagna-diavolo/
  • compellen
    Options
    kale salad with mandarins oranges and dried cranberries. Kale chips are good too, but I love the salad.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Massaged in a salad, chopped in a soup, baked as a chip and my most favorite of ALL time is this creamed kale. Absolutely phenomenal!

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2012/07/creamed-kale.html
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Had Kale last night cooked in tomato based pasta sauce with onion and mushroom served over whole wheat pasta :drinker:
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Another thing to do - get the baby kale, which is more tender (Earthbound Farms has it over by the pre made salads) and just stick a handful in any soups, or if you are like me and eat frozen lunches, just stick a handful into whatever you are having halfway through the microwaving and it get all wilty and adds flavor. I like it with the Kashi frozen lunches like Lemongrass Chicken.
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    is it good steamed?
  • skipper1982
    skipper1982 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kale is the best (green) food to eat. Actually eating dark leafy greens is always good. My husband loves kale with shreaded cabbage. In the morning I sautee 1/3 cup vegan choizo (purchase at walmart real cheap) and some chopped, 1 tbsp red onions, add Kale chopped and then add 2 parts egg whites and 1 whole egg for a quick breakfast and 1 slice of wheat toast, or make into a breakfast burrito. Real good!

For dinner I sautee kale & fresh spinach with red or white onions splash of soy sauce or if you like use the vinagar from a jar of yellow hots, salt & pepper to taste. you could also add a couple of dice red bell pepper, slices of zuccini (green & yellow) and serve with a grilled chicken breast or lean meat.
    OH also great in a tuna fish sandwich. Use Kale leaves instead of lettuce can't tell the difference. I could go on and on but this is a good starting point hopefully this will give you some ideas.
    :) enjoy!
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    3 fave ways:

1- add to my green smoothie
    2- saute as several mentioned although I forgo the bacon ; )
    3- salad: cut into strips, massage with a bit of olive oil, sea salt, lemon juice --- actually massage with your hands to break the cell walls down, becomes quite tender; add pine nuts, raisins or cranberries, chopped red pepper; devour. ; )

Forgo the bacon?!?!?!

i know... i know.... lol.... :laugh:

Hearsay I tell you! Hearsay!

:sad:
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have had it steamed and raw in a smoothie.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE kale. Always have, even as a kid. I had it almost every day when I was pregant. I've always had it lightly steamed, with a little salt/and or bacon. Works great with crumbled up turkey bacon since that's so salty anyway.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I have eaten it baked in the oven, tossed with a little olive oil and seasoning, and also just raw in salad!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    A nifty tool:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/search?page=2&phrase=kale

Also:
    I've had pretty good results with baby kale. I toss it with some bacon grease & massage it in pretty thoroughly & bake for 5-10 minutes. No extra seasoning needed. I leave the ribs on for a handle.

YUM!
  • runningonmargaritas
    Options
    Quick stew: saute kale in a little olive oil then add 2 cans of low na diced tomatoes or fresh diced tomatoes, some garlic, red pepper flakes, and a can of drained and rinsed cannellini beans.
  • kbru64
    kbru64 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make baked kale chips and sprinkle a little bit of parmesan cheese on them a minute or two before I take them out of the oven. YUM!
  • Jsilva814
    Jsilva814 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    if in a salad, with feta or bleu cheese (or gargonzola (spelling?) ), dried cranberries, pine nuts

I agree !
  • katielangley
    katielangley Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are AMAZING!!! Just made some again today!!! remove large vein in the middle and mix with a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt, bake @250 for 30 min... I cook mine on a wire rack so you dont have to flip it.. try it!! You will love it!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Sauteed with onions, bacon grease, a touch of brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and dijon mustard.
    this, plus a little spinach sometimes

also, i make a home made version of Zuppa Tuscano (the soup from olive garden) and use tons of kale in it
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    bumping so I can try these out later!!!