ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nancycola
    nancycola Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    3 fave ways:

1- add to my green smoothie
    2- saute as several mentioned although I forgo the bacon ; )
    3- salad: cut into strips, massage with a bit of olive oil, sea salt, lemon juice --- actually massage with your hands to break the cell walls down, becomes quite tender; add pine nuts, raisins or cranberries, chopped red pepper; devour. ; )

Absolutely this.
    Plus if I'm heating up a soup I've made I'll de-stem, chop up the kale leaves and add it to the soup while it's heating up. It doesn't need much time or heat to get tender.
    Also, kale chips. Yum!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    boiled in chicken broth.. yummy
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The real question is, how DON'T I eat it??

Massaged salad (massage the kale with olive oil and a citrus juice, toss with your favorite salad toppings)
    Chili/Soup/Stew
    Stir-fry
    Pesto sauce
    Egg scramble/omlette
    Ferment with cabbage to make sauerkraut
    On pizza
    In pasta sauce
    In meatloaf
    In casseroles of any kind
    In tuna salad
    Dehydrate after massaging with oil, citrus, and salt (I like mine with a sprinkle of chili powder) to make "chips"
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • disdatdude
    Options
    A little olive oil in a skillet, sautee onions, add a little garlic. Take still wet (from cleaning) kale and add it to the mixture. Add a little salt and pepper. Stir it around to get it coated and then put a lid on it. You can also add a small amount of water depending on if you want to create "pot liquor." Cook until you get the tenderness you desire.

Kale is a loft softer/easier cooked than collards. Don't overcook them. You don't need to have a lot of water/juice to cook them. When I cook bulk I'll create a broth with smoked turkey (or any smoked meat). I sautee the onion and garlic as usual, then add 3 quarts of water and the smoked meat. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Add 3 or 4 pounds of cleaned greens, season and stir. Keep an eye on the tenderness, then remove them from the heat.

They are easily to freeze so if you get a huge amount, I prefer those in the rack over the ones that are prewashed in a bag, you can cook them up and freeze them. I measure out servings and put them in a quart sized freezer bag for an easy, delishes side.

*I add pepper flakes to my sautee ingredients. I like my greens kinda spicey. It allows me to cut back on salt a little bit :wink:
    You can also play with boilion cubes and olive oil if you want to go veggie or want your broth to have a fuller flavor.
  • eyvindur
    eyvindur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love it sauteed with lots of garlic, salt and pepper and a bit of crushed red pepper flakes.

Another favorite is to saute some red onion, kale, bell pepper and whatever, really - could be delicious with chicken even - and then add some chick peas, season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and turmeric. I then throw the pan into a hot oven and toast the whole thing up until it's a bit toasty and golden (10-15 minutes, I think). This is wonderful with some nice, homemade tzatziki sauce.
  • sammyjbray
    sammyjbray Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I steam it, then just add it as a side dish to whatever I am eating. I am trying some of these ideas though!