Still not really losing

Options
2»

Replies

• DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Le Sigh!

Who ever said that the OP is 4 foot? I was proving the poster wrong of the assumption that 1300 can not be excessive by providing an example.

i think you'll find you told the OP that she was gaining lean muscle on 1300 cals....

yet now you're saying that at 5ft6, 1300 cals is not excessive, so that wouldnt be the case?

You CAN gain Lean Muscle on 1300. You don't need to eat in excess to gain... it's called Newbie Gains

to gain muscle yes but you should still lose weight.

amirite?

Of course yes, you can lose weight which is what i've done over the past 4 months, but from the OP's picture, granted it is hard to see but it looks like she is quite slim already, so that small weight gain could be LM
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options

Le Sigh!

Who ever said that the OP is 4 foot? I was proving the poster wrong of the assumption that 1300 can not be excessive by providing an example.

i think you'll find you told the OP that she was gaining lean muscle on 1300 cals....

yet now you're saying that at 5ft6, 1300 cals is not excessive, so that wouldnt be the case?

You CAN gain Lean Muscle on 1300. You don't need to eat in excess to gain... it's called Newbie Gains

to gain muscle yes but you should still lose weight.

amirite?

Not necessarily, and not if you don't have an awful lot left to lose anyway, like the OP. Plus if it is new muscle mass, some of the weight may also be water as the muscle builds.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are gaining Lean Muscle to me.

Keep it up :D

Haed/desk. Yeah because it's soooo easy to gain lean muscle when your a girl. We just have to look at a pair of 3k pink dumbbells and thats it, we buff up straight away!! :explode:

OP I'd work out your TDEE and take about 15% - 20% from it to produce a small deficit, rather than trying to stick to around 1300.

What on earth are you chatting?

1350 is a good rough estimate for her age and height, so eating less will do no good, 1350 does sound like a good number as her TDEE will be around 1600.

So if she is 'working out pretty hard every day' then it is quite likely that she is gaining Lean Muscle, your assumption of whatever you thought i was getting at is totally misguided and immature.

^ Que?! :huh:

I'm 30yrs old and the same height as the OP. My TDEE -20% gives me 1700. 1350 with working out is low, especially as she only has a few lbs to lose.
    And no. You cannot gain muscle on a calorific deficit. N00b gains will only get you so far and after a month they will go. In truth, you are getting stronger and cutting the fat over the muscle. You are not gaining muscle.

To the OP...
    Work out your TDEE be honest with your activity level - if you are working out every day then put it as moderate. Then subtract 15-20% from that. The closer you get to goal the smaller the percentage you need in order to retain LBM and lose fat.

:smile:
  • DeanBurrows
    Options
    it's called Newbie Gains

why didnt you just say newbie gains in the first place... would have saved a LOT of time....

Well i apologise, i should of said it sooner i guess.
  • DeanBurrows
    Options

Le Sigh!

Your condescending attitude isn't doing much for your argument. You should provide some evidence, otherwise it's a baseless claim. Saying eating calories above 1300 = excess is just funny.

Learn to read brah!

I said eating 1300 calories could be eating in excess for someone smaller, like 4ft like in the example.
  • ines25
    ines25 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You should not be worry of that gain this happen when you start to workout but after 2 or 3 weeks it goes away IS NORMAL and I think you are not eating enough and at the end u are going to mess up ur metabolism. You should be eating from 1600 to 1800 no lower than that you are 5'6 take from me I'm 4'11 and still lose weight at 1400cal
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Sigh you're not eating enough. Go here. Read it. Know it. Love it. https://www.facebook.com/notes/motivation-mandy/step-5-counting-calories-its-longsorry/330200967094390
  • jlfoster0427
    Options
    My tdee is determined to be 2235 by fitness frog.com if I take 20% off that I'm at 1788 calories a day. This sure does seem like alot to be eating and losing weight. Maybe ill try it for a week and see if I can get rid of a few more pounds. Opinions?
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My tdee is determined to be 2235 by fitness frog.com if I take 20% off that I'm at 1788 calories a day. This sure does seem like alot to be eating and losing weight. Maybe ill try it for a week and see if I can get rid of a few more pounds. Opinions?

One week is'nt long enough in order to gauge the effectiveness of a calorie change. You need to do it for a month really and try to avoid the scale apart from maybe once a week.

(And 1788 sounds about right :smile: The 2235 is your maintenance number, so anything under that is a calorific deficit for you)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

It sounds like a lot because commercial diet programs have pounded the absolute minimum of 1,200 into our heads for so long. Low calorie diets yield rapid but rarely permanent fat loss.

You need to try 1,800 for at least a month. I'd even go so far as to say give it 3 months. Healthy fat loss is not a rapid process. Eat your food, lift heavy things, and track body fat and measurements, not weight.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    at 5ft6 and 130somethign pounds you are not overweight, you just maybe need to 'tone up' a bit....

my advice would be to set your calorie goal at lose 1/2lb, eat back your exercise calories (if you dont already) and try and make sure you eat plenty of protein and good fat, aim to get your 5 portions of fruit and veg a day and look at a decent full body strength training routine so lose a bit of bodyfat.

Before this gets lost in the bickering, the above is excellent advice.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    at 5ft6 and 130somethign pounds you are not overweight, you just maybe need to 'tone up' a bit....

my advice would be to set your calorie goal at lose 1/2lb, eat back your exercise calories (if you dont already) and try and make sure you eat plenty of protein and good fat, aim to get your 5 portions of fruit and veg a day and look at a decent full body strength training routine so lose a bit of bodyfat.

thanks!

and OP, 1700 isnt loads. i am 5ft 5, 127lbs and i lose on NET 1600, (1600 plus all my exercise calories)

if 1700 is a bit daunting, then build up slowly... but surely being to eat lots of nice food (mainly clean, a few treats) and lose weight is better than 1300 cals and not losing weight!?!?

when you up your calories you will also need to give it more than a week to see if it works - patience is key!
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options

^ Yes. I set mine to 1/2 lb a week in the beginning and stuck to it (while eating my exercise calories) and I could track 1/2 lb week loss like clockwork. Don't starve yourself as it just aggravated the whole issue. Strength training and cardio with a mild deficit will definitely yield results. Heck, a mild deficit alone can let you lose weight.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I started with a 1200 calorie a day diet while I lost weight I was really tired and miserable. I uped my calories to 1350 which still allowed me to loose but I felt better overall. Lost about 4 lbs and now I'm starting to gain a bit back. I am still sticking to my calorie intake most the time being a bit under and working out pretty hard almost every day. I am a 23 year old female who is 5 foot 6 inches. Any advice would be great. Thanks everyone !

Focus less on quantity, and more on quality.
  • sfcreighton
    sfcreighton Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lots of opinions here and a lot of god ones. Yes, if you are building muscle, you are gaining weight. But if you aren't consuming enough calories per day, then you are burning fat and muscle. My suggestion would be to examine what type of calories you are consuming. I have cut all processed sugars, all white foods (bread, rice, etc), dairy, alcohol, and caffeine from my diet and am sticking to 1200 calories per day (age 52, 5'8") and am easily losing 2 pounds per week. I am eating a lot of quinoa, fresh fruits and vegetables and only chicken and fish for meat. I have one protein shake per day right after my work out. I would suggest examining your diet closely.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Le Sigh!

I've also heard that to gain muscle you have to eat at a caloric surplus, and I've been eating at a consistent cut for 4 months, lost 40 pounds...

And my bench press has went from 60 pounds x 10 to 150 pounds x6.

My Squat has went from 90 pounds to 225...

And my body feels harder, and people remark that I look more fit. You can absolutely gain muscle while cutting, providing your protein intake is high enough.

People need to keep in mind that there is a difference between a cut and maintenance, or even bulking. Different things, different tools in the toolbox. You wouldn't use a saw to hammer in a nail would you?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Try eating the 1788 cals a day but give it more than a week. A week is not long enough to see any progress. When you up your calories you may see a gain just due to water weight. It is just something that happens when you consume too much sodium, change your exercise routine or increase your calories.

Any changes you do you need to give them a few weeks to see if they will actually work.

If your TDEE is 2235 you were not gaining muscle on 1300. That is too large of a deficit to build any noticeable amount of muscle.

At your height and weight you are in the healthy range. What may be best would be to eat at your TDEE and lift heavy weights for a few weeks. Than drop down your calories to the cut amount and get some cardio in to drop any excess fat. Doing these cycles will build muscle and lower body fat. Muscle growth is what will change the look of your body the most.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options

amirite?

Not necessarily, and not if you don't have an awful lot left to lose anyway, like the OP. Plus if it is new muscle mass, some of the weight may also be water as the muscle builds.

yeah
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

It sounds like a lot because commercial diet programs have pounded the absolute minimum of 1,200 into our heads for so long. Low calorie diets yield rapid but rarely permanent fat loss.

^ THIS! I usually eat 2300 calories on a day when I workout and I have lost steadily without plateauing for a year. Don't be afraid of food it's not the enemy.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are gaining Lean Muscle to me.

Keep it up :D

Haed/desk. Yeah because it's soooo easy to gain lean muscle when your a girl. We just have to look at a pair of 3k pink dumbbells and thats it, we buff up straight away!! :explode:

OP I'd work out your TDEE and take about 15% - 20% from it to produce a small deficit, rather than trying to stick to around 1300.

What on earth are you chatting?

1350 is a good rough estimate for her age and height, so eating less will do no good, 1350 does sound like a good number as her TDEE will be around 1600.

So if she is 'working out pretty hard every day' then it is quite likely that she is gaining Lean Muscle, your assumption of whatever you thought i was getting at is totally misguided and immature.

Can you read? Or add up? No, obviously not judging by your reply to my post. Trollage at its best. You will be a popular and valued member of MFP I'm sure.