How much do you spend on groceries?

Options

Replies

• lilteepot
    Options
    It's just me, and I keep a separate budget for pet supplies/food, as well as personal items (tp, shampoo, etc). I budget $120 a month on groceries for myself, and I only allow myself to eat out about 2 meals a month (typically special occasions, girls night out, etc). I live close to my office, so I go home for lunch every day, but if I depend on Subway for lunch or dinner on a busy day, that comes out of my grocery budget. There are months when I don't spend it all, but the extra gets left in the budget and typically gets spent the next month or so to replenish the freezer (meat) or more expensive items. I'm in Ohio, and the overwhelming majority of my shopping is done at Kroger or Aldis.
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Family of 4 we spend about $150 - $175 a week on just food groceries & eating out (not counting household items like cat food, toothpaste, TP etc.)
    With a "big eater" husband and 2 very active kids in sports they can EAT!
    We do spend a large part of that on fresh fruits & veggies, seriously my family goes through a bag of baby spinach, bunch of bananas & 6-8 apples each day! Not counting other fruits & veggies we eat.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    We spend about $100 every two weeks, give or take $20... this is for two people and includes most additional stuff, like cleaning supplies and health products. We probably spend a little over $200 a month on groceries.

But, this doesn't include dog food, eating out, or vitamins/supplements. Can't wait until it's farmer's market season again :)
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Since eating healthier 125-175 a week for a family of 4
  • HeatherOberholtzer
    Options
    Family of 6 here and we spend about $150 a week (with coupons) this includes paper products, cleaners...etc :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    We live in Tempe, and we spend about $250 a month for myself my husband, our toddler and our cat. We might go out to eat once, MAYBE twice a month, and that might add up to an extra $50-$75/month. (And every three months or so we spend $70-$150 at Costco to stock up on frozen chicken breasts, cheese, ground beef, toilet paper, diapers and wipes, and other here-and-there staples.)

We do it by building meals around produce that's in season/on sale, buying and freezing meat on Manager's Special, and avoiding prepackaged things, like frozen pizzas, chicken nuggets, french fries, etc. If we want those things we make them at home, and they always turn out better anyway. And we don't drink alcohol and VERY rarely buy soda, so I'm sure that saves a lot, too.
  • devan33
    devan33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    We have a family of 6...with 2 teenage boys. We budget $300 every 2 weeks. That includes household items. We probably spend an extra $20 or so if we need to restock fruit, milk and bread through the week. We don't buy much in the way of snacks. We eat out once a week usually...and the cost of that depends on where we are going... Sit down meals are expensive...pushing $80 including tips...But we can keep it closer to $25 if we have pizza or some other carry out. Saturday is our "free day" and that is usually when we eat out.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    wow i'm surprised how little some of you spend a month on food!! i feel like i spend a lot more probably 600 a month for me and the boyfriend (he eats a lot)

what stores do you guys usually shop at?? thanks!

I shop at Target and our Safeway store (Tom Thumb)... I comparison shop between the two, since Tom Thumb has made that pretty easy with their store app.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    About $600 per month including non-food stuff like soap, cleaners, TP. This is for a family of 4, hubs, me, and two upper teen step kids so they eat like adults. Right now hubs is working in another state so I expect it will go down a lot. I work and go to school full time so don't have time to cook for the kids so we buy them easy to prepare stuff because they don't want to cook and hate my food anyway. So my portion of the bill is lean protein, veggies, fruit and a little whole grains. Their portion is frozen chicken patties, frozen burgers, instant potatoes, burger, hamburger helper etc.

We live near Portland, OR. Last gallon of milk I bought was 2.50. eggs were 2.50 for 18. Produce has been about $1 per lb depending exactly what it is. I have several special dietary needs which I think makes our bill a little higher. When I have time to cook, grow a garden, have chickens and rabbits etc the bill can be quite a bit lower.
  • Wanting2BSkinny
    Options
    bump
  • mcg6242
    mcg6242 Posts: 84
    Options
    Its just my husband and I and we budget $600 a month, but this includes and odds and end such as TP, soap, shampoo and dog food. This also includes any eating out we may do that month!
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Usually around $120-150/week for just my husband and I. This doesn't include things like ziplock bags, paper towels or personal care products. It seems like we spend a lot on food, except in the summer when my garden is at it's peak. I try to buy some organic produce (not all) and we buy a lot of meat, so I guess that's why.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Just curious...how much does you family spend on groceries each month? Eating out? For how many people?

My hubby and I are working on our monthly budget but wanted an idea of what is feasable for feeding a family of 2 (and eventually probably 4).

Thanks!

I spend no more than $250-275 in total per month for my husband, myself and our 2 dogs.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I probably spend around $300/month. We try not to go to the grocery every week. We stock up on what we know we will need for lunches, upcoming dinners, snacks, etc and then try not to go to the grocery, unless we have no choice. This doesn't include dog food ($62 for a 28 pound bag because our dog has food allergies, and then $30 for the 35lb bag for our other dog, who eats EVERYTHING) Also doesn't include their costs of poop bags and other misc. odds and ends. We just spent over $200 on a new vaccuum last weekend. So if we're only talking groceries, its around $300. If it's a week where we need dog fixins', we're looking easily at around $300 just for that week.

In terms of eating out, we spend easily $200+ per month, with both of our work schedules and me going to bed by 8pm nightly so I can get up at 4am to workout, we rarely have time to cook much food. I tend to cook on Saturday or Sunday nights. We were talking about this today and are resolving to stop eating out so much! It's seriously ridiculous!

Speaking of the grocery, the fiance and I are going tonight.
  • rae_rae330
    rae_rae330 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump...for later!
  • Jaramys
    Options
    I spend about $340 on myself a month thats not including tooth paste, paper just for flat out food.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat out and when I do, it has to come out of my grocery budget.

My grocery budget is between 40 and 50 a week and it's just me. Of course that also includes household stuff like laundry detergent, shampoo, cat litter, toilet paper, etc.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    140-160/month, just for one person
  • JasMikkol89
    JasMikkol89 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a family of 4 and we spend about 650 a month.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    About $250 per week between the wife and I. This includes protein powders, bars, supplements, and our diet is about 90% meat.