Getting Healthy is Killing me!

Options
13»

Replies

• BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It's your age. I'm 53 and felt just like you. I was Sore all the time at 3 times a week - Not Fun!.

Switch to 2 times a week for your strength training - you will feel a lot better and isn't that what it is all about?

You just need to accept the fact that you will not progress as fast as you could when you were 20:)
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    It's your age. I'm 53 and felt just like you. I was Sore all the time at 3 times a week - Not Fun!.

Switch to 2 times a week for your strength training - you will feel a lot better and isn't that what it is all about?

You just need to accept the fact that you will not progress as fast as you could when you were 20:)
    I call BS
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have not read all of the responses but I really want to say it is not age. I am 58 and I did P90X, P90X2, Insanity and am currently doing Les Mills Combat while doing P90X2 again. I know you will get good answers here so I will only add one thing. Get a foam roller. It was designed for body builders that have over trained. Use it. It really works.
  • Beastx10
    Options
    Keep at it! 49 is not old!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I'm an old geezer too at 49. Have re-introduced weights since November. I used to do a lot of resistance training when I was younger. My workouts are still stuck in the 80s (ie lots of isolation exercises, not so many compound moves).

Maybe an 80s style workout is good for managing the soreness? I do delts, lats&traps, delts&arms, legs&hips for four days running and then repeat. Gives each muscle group plenty of time to recover between workouts.

Criticism and recommendations welcome to help get my exercise into this decade.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Whoops. Day 1 is pecs.
  • Will606
    Options
    I can relate to what you're going through, kinda in the same boat. Just turned 44, never really lifted weights and just started a couple of months ago. I do strength training every other day (gives muscles time to heal, we need longer recovery time as we mature) I make sure to get some protein and carbs prior to lifting and have a protein shake afterwards. I still have D.O.M.S. you describe but not nearly as bad as when I started (unless I overdo it) Streching/cardio before lifting and stretching after are good. Nice hot shower after makes me feel better too. Remember...pain is weakness leaving the body. Don't quit and good luck to you.
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and a few weeks ago starting doing Stronglifts 5 x 5. Yes ...the DOMS.... it does usually last over until you lift again two days later!!!! I have been told that it does eventually go, but tbh, it kind of feels good. I can feel that the compound lifts really have worked almost all of the muscles in my body.

Yes, drinking loads of water does seem to be helping and I also do a Dynamic Stretch Routine every day if I can which also helps.

We shouldn't let our age put us off, if anything we should more so be doing this.

You are officially awesome...I don't think I've ever come across a woman of your age lifting heavy....you are awesome!

I'm about to turn 57 and I lift as heavy as this seasoned bod will let me! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

There are lots of us "Woman of a Certain Age" that lift!!!!:wink:

I reply to the original post I found using a foam roller helps.... as well as the other things suggested.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I call BS

Me too. I accept that if I can't do something - okay. But never because of my age. I lift 3X a week. Heavy with a barbell. I feel AWESOME. I have never lifted (or been athletic) in any way, shape or form since high school in the 70s. All I did then was run track. I am overweight (still have few to lose) and I don't accept that age thing.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Whoops. Day 1 is pecs.

If this is working for you that's wonderful. I'm wondering if you would like a program like Stronglifts. It may not be challenging enough for you, but I find it uses compound lifts and therefore it cuts my lifting to 3 days a week. Again, just a thought. :flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I know just what you mean. I'm 40, and hadn't lifted weights regularly for 20 years when I started working out last year. I was amazed at how long it took me to recover from things as compared to the old days. I'm sure age plays a part, but as I've continued training, I've found that I'm recovering faster and feeling less soreness.

If I were you I'd take it easier for a while and just ramp things up slowly. Listen to your body and don't push it too hard when it's already trying to recover.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Getting Healthy is Killing me - - - Not getting fit and healthy will kill you faster - stick with it - you can do it !
  • ProjectActionFigure
    Options
    P90X is a great program. see my before and after pics on my blog. http;//www.XFitOnline.com

I started at 255lbs and 41% body fat. 9 months later, under 200lbs, I was in a 32" waist from a 40", my angina attacks stopped, my hair grew back from Alopecia, (look close at my before pic, you can see the baldness under the cover. and no more Fatty Liver Disease.

I'm 40!

my blog http://www.XFitOnline.com