women who carry their weight in the midsection?!

Options

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Someone got mad at me in a discussion last week because I suggested in might be unrealistic for women to strive to have a 6-pack. But truthfully, we're supposed to have more fat in our midsections and it's extremely hard to remove it. I'm down to 108 pounds, and I'm starting to look too skinny in some places, but I still have a belly that won't go away. I eat healthfully and do cardio and core work, so there's not much more I can do. I've come to accept the fact that it's just part of being female. :)
  • Mohineeta
    Options
    This has been the hardest area for me as well...I changed the way i eat, do tons of cardio and can't seem to get rid of the belly :(
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Try to eat more whole foods (whole grains, fruits, vegetables, unprocessed meats, fish, etc) and fewer processed foods. Doesn't mean you can't have any of that stuff, but higher quality food within your calorie range may help. It's helped me, and I have the same tendency to gain in the middle. Even when I'm thin!

Also, even within the category of whole foods, there are various vegetables that can make you more bloated than others, so pay attention to your body after you eat.
  • LisaMia66
    Options
    Someone got mad at me in a discussion last week because I suggested in might be unrealistic for women to strive to have a 6-pack. But truthfully, we're supposed to have more fat in our midsections and it's extremely hard to remove it. I'm down to 108 pounds, and I'm starting to look too skinny in some places, but I still have a belly that won't go away. I eat healthfully and do cardio and core work, so there's not much more I can do. I've come to accept the fact that it's just part of being female. :)
    I agree with you. I believe genetics plays a huge roll in it too. For example, my husband never, ever lifts weights but his arms (biceps and forearms) and legs (thighs and calves) are HUGE! I always tell him, "Imagine how buff you'd be if you actually lifted weights regularly!" :bigsmile: *hint, hint* And he always says, "Yeah, whatever." :huh: Seriously! He's has the genetics but no inclination which for most of the population it's the complete opposite. We have the inclination but no genetics so it's a constant uphill battle! :sad:
  • aoifebos1
    aoifebos1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Me!
    I've always had skinny arms and legs, no butt and a belly. Heavy lifting is totally changing my body and I've only been at it about four months. I highly recommended it to everybody, I've stepped off the threadmill and quit the crunches and I'm seeing changes I never thought possible
    :)

0212_zps507c899b.jpg
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

I am sure that if I saw you IRL, you look fine. It's all in your head - same goes for anyone else out there that believes that they can never get a 6 pack. This is coming from someone who used to say the same thing.... you can. While I am not there yet, 6 pack is 90% diet. Do the right exercises, watch your macros, what you put in your mouth and anyone will get there. I don't believe in just doing core workouts, I have to work all the muscles in the body while doing cardio to get anywhere. Sometimes what we think is fat is actually skin too, especially if one has lost a great amount of weight. I have known many body builders of different races, sexes and body types that have shed that "fat" so I dunno......
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Me!
    I've always had skinny arms and legs, no butt and a belly. Heavy lifting is totally changing my body and I've only been at it about four months. I highly recommended it to everybody, I've stepped off the threadmill and quit the crunches and I'm seeing changes I never thought possible
    :)

0212_zps507c899b.jpg

GREAT advice about heavy lifting! You look great!
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Me me me! It's the first place I gain and the last place I lose :sad: . Making some progress though:

Before:

Round1Day1rightsidesmall.jpg

In progress:

Round2day1rightsidesmall.jpg

Great job!!
  • Lattegurl
    Lattegurl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • shquig
    shquig Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I carry the majority of weight in my mid-section. I still have a little extra fluff there that I'm working on but I find that a LOT of core work is the key. I'm in a couple yoga classes as well as a team fitness class and then I do core at home, too. It is making a difference. I can actually feel muscle under my fat layer, lol. My body fat is about 22/21% now and my goal is 15%. There's no way I'll have this little roll at 15% so I keep on keepin' on and it'll be on its way out! I do have pics on my profile.
  • slywon
    slywon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the comments that you have to eat clean and exercise and that eventually even your trouble areas will come around. The only little extra I have to add is this........ It has only been four days that I have made this small change so I don't know yet if it is helping. I have started taking two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar in 2 cups of water once a day right before my supper. Apple cider vinegar has many benefits internally and externally. For me the three main reasons I am taking it is because it is said to 1: help to break down belly fat 2:remove toxins from the body and 3: curb hunger/cravings. Check it out. Decide for yourselves. Has anyone had any success with Apple Cider Vinegar for these purposes?
  • Sofitin2013
    Options
    I just wanted to jump in and say that eating south beach style has really helped bring down my belly over the past few weeks. I started Jan 1 in phase 1 and I am down 18 pounds. Belly fat is the first to go on this program :)

Amazing work by many ladies in this thread!!!
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on this thread have said it is down to 80-90% diet, it makes sense but at this stage im wondering what should be cut out, what is safe to eat....is it alright to eat two slices of wholegrain bread every day?...I'm worried my diet will overall hinder my exercise progress!
  • teresa_c
    Options
    I haven't read through the replies, so this might be repetitive... but in my experience the best way to lose abdominal fat (aside from the obvious cutting back calories and exercising) is cutting way back on SUGAR (!!) and cutting out diet drinks (cutting out regular soda goes with the cutting back on sugar part).

Good luck to you!
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    A lot of people on this thread have said it is down to 80-90% diet, it makes sense but at this stage im wondering what should be cut out, what is safe to eat....is it alright to eat two slices of wholegrain bread every day?...I'm worried my diet will overall hinder my exercise progress!

I think so.. if you feel you need to eat bread everyday, opt for bread that is not white or processed, high in fibre, etc,.
  • LisaMia66
    Options

I think so.. if you feel you need to eat bread everyday, opt for bread that is not white or processed, high in fibre, etc,.
    I agree! I eat Udi's gluten-free bread and it really is yummy! I was so afraid to try it but awfully glad I did now. :happy: However, pretty much all breads are high on the glycemic index and that's why protein and vegetables are stressed so much. I try to limit how much bread I eat and focus on eating as much lean meat, proteins, and vegetables as I can. Pay close attention to the glycemic levels in the foods you eat and I bet you'll start losing that tummy in no time.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Same issue for me! I am also 5'4 all my weight is on my stomach,butt, and thighs... Hopefully me keep going I know eventually it'll come off.
  • dhealthy33
    dhealthy33 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Gettng rid of belly fat has always been my problem. I carry most of my weight in the midsection, and I am tired of looking like I could be pregnant. I have been told a tablespoon everyday of apple cider vinager helps to decrease belly fat. Has anyone tried this?
  • LisaMia66
    Options
    Gettng rid of belly fat has always been my problem. I carry most of my weight in the midsection, and I am tired of looking like I could be pregnant. I have been told a tablespoon everyday of apple cider vinager helps to decrease belly fat. Has anyone tried this?
    Actually what apple cider vinegar does is slows down the metabolism process of converting carbohydrates into fattening sugars. It really only works with bread and grains. I've read that if you drink a little ACV before a heavy meal that it will make you feel full faster too.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Definition in the abs takes work, but is possible. I am sure some women have the muscle structure to do it and I know I've seen women with six packs in other posts. I'm getting close to having that definition, but it has been a battle against the BF%. I don't know how much more I will work to drop the last 2-3% to get me to goal. The difference in the photos is 143 lbs to 127 lbs and close to 10% body fat lost.

3b1976f4-f37e-48a1-ad81-0d965c21321e_zps14491bbf.jpg

edit to say I seem to have a perma-scowl in all my pics. I can't seem to hit the button and smile at the same time :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!