Any Success using the TDEE Formula

Options
hsmart603
hsmart603 Posts: 32 Member
So I was going through some of the sucess storys and I noticed a lot of people saying that they went by there TDEE 20 %. I am debating on trying it since my scale has not moved in the past few weeks. I have been on a 1200 calorie diet and it just dosn't seem like enough some days. Anyone who has had better sucess with there TDEE would be great to help make this decision.

Replies

• dtpurvis
    dtpurvis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I swtiched to TDEE - 20% last week and have already seen the scale move downward- small but still in the right direction. I feel better and the science makes sense to me as a medical person! give it a try....I have read the scale may go up slightly at the beginning. Good luck!!:happy:
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've been using that method for 6+ months and have had excellent success with it. It allows me to lose at a slow pace while maintaining (and hopefully adding) muscle mass through my bi-weekly lifting.
  • MzzNkki
    Options
    bump
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I started using the TDEE -20% about 4 weeks ago after a few months of no positive progress (in fact I was gaining while "maintaining"). Today was my first weigh in, since starting the TDEE method, that I finally saw some weight loss. I plan to keep at it. I heard alot about the TDEE method which is what made me want to try it out because nothing else I was doing was working.
  • QuietRain
    Options
    I'm only on my fourth day, but so far I feel better. Last week I didn't lose [scale-wise], this week I lost 1.8lb. Not really conclusive so far, but I prefer it.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm on my first week doing this and I have lost 2lbs so far. When I was eating 1200 I got similar results, but felt hungry and tired all the time.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I started out on 1200 calories till I learned from my doctor and MFP that it isn't enough for a 5"2 older woman that walked 30 mins/6 days a week and started doing TDEE -20% until I got closer to goal then dropped it to TDEE -15%. So much nicer having a few hundred extra calories a day!
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Im still losing weight eating around 2500 cals/day for the past two months. I think it works..
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have lost 4lbs in three weeks doing this but, perhaps more importantly, I've lost 1.5ins from my waist. This is probably because I've had the energy to do more exercise thanks to the amount of food I'm eating (for me this is 1550 calories plus I eat back most of my exercise calories). I'm feeling good on it, not deprived or hungry and so will continue doing it.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just switched from 1210 calories a day to my TDEE-20% and I feel so much better - not like I'm starving like I was on the 1210 cals. I'm hoping to see some positive results!
  • ktrichards06
    Options
    What is this TDEE-20% you are talking about?
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    My story:

I lost 35 pounds on the 1200 calorie starvation plan (LOL) that MFP gave me. I upped cals to maintenance....and started GAINING!

Why? Because the body adapts and learns to live with what you give it ~~~~~ even if it is not enough.......

I gained 5 pounds back "maintaining", researched the whole TDEE minus a small deficit way of doing things and viola! Losing the last 5 pounds again S L O W L Y.....the way it should have been in the first place.

If you've got a hundred to lose, then maybe the "starvation" plan won't take it's toll too soon....smaller losers are better off with TDEE - minus 10-20%.

Slow and steady not only wins the race, but it lets you eat and not feel hungry, grumpy, deprived, sleepy, low energy. AND, it gives you a fighting chance to make a lifestyle out of this new way of being!

It works. Period!

J
  • lioness0806
    lioness0806 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've been using TDEE- 15% for about four, going on five, months. I can eat about 2300 calories a day, but I don't. I am satiated at about 1900. I've lost about 15# with this method.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I have been following it for about 2 months now and seeing little losses (200 - 300 grams a week)
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just started this week, and even though I have not lost sofar, I was not losing on the 1100 calorie plan. I feel so much better, and I am still working out, but dropped my cardio to 30 min x3 and am lifting more. I finally feel like I may be able to stick to this, I have lost weight in the past with a VLC diet, but I was never able to maintain, and I am tired of that. Since my old method was not working, I figure I might as well try this method. It seems to work for other people. Look for In place of a roadmap thread
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I can echo many things here, I ate around TDEE during the holidays and have cut and started losing again. I blindly followed MFP for the first 3 months or so and was no longer satisfied and starting to slow down losing. I think I blogged about this to here on MFP, if inspired to see more :smile:
  • ocbrenda
    ocbrenda Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have been following it for the last month. Lost 23 pounds for the whole month of January. (I started at 338) After each loss, I adjust it so I am not eating too much or too little.

My problem is, I struggle to reach UP to my TDEE-20. (1600 before exercise, etc.) I average between 1350-1500. My doctors say that FOR NOW, the large loss is all right, and we'll work together to adjust it when necessary. I have some health issues that make my losing at least 50-75 fairly quickly worth the faster weight loss, FOR NOW. Once I hit that goal, and we see that things are doing better, I'll work on losing 10 lbs a month instead of 20.

I also have customized my macros for me. I am watching my sodium to keep it lower, and my potassium to keep it as close to recommended as possible. Trying to reach my protein macro more often, and keep carb/fat lower. I am also watching my vitamins/minerals closely, as I am unable to take any supplemental vitamins/minerals. I cannot take any form of iron. I need to get all mine from the foods I eat and the drinks I make. I'm noticing a difference now that I am eating more cleanly, and in moderation.
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    i did it to just see how much i need to eat, it helped me tons. i do it along with paleo, i rarely go over my cals but i use it to make sure i eat enough along with tracking carbs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!