STARVING...how to avoid eating over my calorie amount

Options

Replies

• nemelkb
    Options
    Just wondering what's your BMR at? The 1200 calories is set by MFP or a doctor? If you are still hungry, it means 1200 calories is too less for you. You want to eat -20% of your TDEE.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I dont know, on my food portion, for my goal calories, it states 1200. Then, when I exercise it increases, of course......
  • Try to add in low calorie foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables. Apples are exceptionally good. But, if you add these things in and also maybe such pecans or walnuts, this may help you. Also, make sure you are drinking your water.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Work out more to eat more :)
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good suggestions below but for me the ONLY thing that has stopped me from feeling hungry is to eat 5 or 6 small meals a day. Yes I feel like I am always eating but Two of the "meals" are protein shakes and not only do I feel like I am having a chocolate milkshake but it is high protein, naturally low in fat and almost no sugar (the sugars are natural too).

I am at the point now where I am honestly feeling too full at the end of the day. I would get a vegan protein powder if you do spend the money on one. Vega-one chocolate is awesome! 1/2 cup frozen berries with 4oz unsweetened almond milk and 4 oz of water and one scoop of protein powder or half scoop if you are really close on calories. TRY IT!
  • futurestarz
    Options
    Shiratake noodles!!!! Haha I just bought these and now I swear by them. 20 cal for a large serving and only 2 carbs. Make a nice stir-fry with lots of "noodles" veggies and maybe some chicken with some teriyaki sauce and voila!! Full for a few hours on less than 100 calories.
  • mlima14
    mlima14 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and I noticed that instead of loosing weight I actually put on weight until I upped my calorie intake and since I'm working out almost every day I started to loose weight. So it's just your body telling you it's starving or it'll go into starvation mode and slow down your metabolism. Which is BIG No No. Try eating 5 small meals a day that also helps me to keep my hunger in check.
  • hc83
    hc83 Posts: 23
    Options
    You have to eat fruits and veg!!!!!they are the only foods that will fill you up and nuture your body and give you energy along with boosting your weight loss! check out Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Good luck!
  • bigtrav99
    bigtrav99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i had a similar problem, i talked to a friend who is very fit and knowledgable about nutrition. His advice was to get more "good" fats in my diet like almonds and walnuts and avacados. It helped me curb it some, also make sure you are getting a good Fiber intake, your body likes fiber and its hard to break down so you feel full longer. These worked for me, hope they help you too.
  • lap012165
    Options
    You like i have the same problem. I have discovered that rice cakes ( I like the caramel ones ) are very good for limiting your calorie count and fill you up. Also graham crackers are a good choice. Low calorie and low fats. Give it a try.
    Hope this helps.Keep up the good work.....
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    YOu should probably add a tablespoon of almond butter, almonds or cashews to both of your snacks. It is good to have a little bit of protein every few hours during the day. or try the protein shake after dinner. I really feel like I am having dessert.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I my experience two things seem to trigger the starving feeling you describe. One is there may be too large of a calorie deficit.
    Secondly, I think the quality of the calories you are taking in makes a difference. By that I mean the micro nutirents in the
    Foods you eat. Vitamins, minerals, isoflavones and other phytochemicals. In my opinion, if these things are missing from
    Your dietary intake your body will try to get them by signaling that it is hungry.

^^^^THIS^^^ Your body wants to be fed what makes it happy. Sugar and simple carbs are mostly non-nutritive. Your body does not like non-nutritive "foods" and restlessly seeks what it needs, even if it pushes you to eat more calories than you need. That is why we are a nation of over-fed, under-nourished people. :frown:
  • Renise01
    Renise01 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungry at night - and I'm usually hungry at night, even when I've eaten good foods throughout the day. So what I do now is I save my gummy vitamin for last (I tend to want something sweet) , veggies or I have a handful of peanuts with a few chocolate chips and a full 8oz glass of water. No matter what I have i keep it small and accompany it with a glass of water! Then brush my teeth and go to bed. Once my teeth are brushed, I don't generally want to eat anything else. And I go with a general rule of if I'm not willing to eat fruit of veggies I'm not really hungry. If its a matter of my sweet tooth getting the best of me then a few chocolate chips and peanuts won't hurt my week so long as I don't go crazy.
  • amihalik88
    Options
    I don't know your diet but just some general tips. Sorry if you already know all this but just in case. Certain foods can actually make you hungrier after eating. A fast burning high sugar fruit or eating too few vegetables always makes me really hungry just an hour or two later. Slower burning, complex fruits with a lower glycemic index are best, and it's best to load on a lot of veggies rather than just have a few since they are so low in calories. Obviously any type of white flour product (including white bread or noodles) needs to be off the menu. They are fast burning with very high amounts of empty calories that leave you hungry just an hour or two later. Avoid white rice, any white flour product, pop and juice. These are all empty calories that add to your total calories. They have very little or no nutrients and your body burns right through them, causing your sugar levels to sky rocket then plummet, making you feel hungrier sooner after eating. Complex carbs (100% whole grains, low gi fruits and nearly all veggies) along with proteins and healthy fats will give you sustained energy, even your blood sugar levels, and keep you full through out the day
  • Jojo1859
    Jojo1859 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Spring salads with a light dressing: super low cal and super filing :D
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Shiratake noodles!!!! Haha I just bought these and now I swear by them. 20 cal for a large serving and only 2 carbs. Make a nice stir-fry with lots of "noodles" veggies and maybe some chicken with some teriyaki sauce and voila!! Full for a few hours on less than 100 calories.

Hijack with silly question. When I search my Wegmans app for Shiratake noodles I get fettuccini style, spaghetti syle and some others. Is there one type you prefer for stir fry? Thanks!
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    From your description you're eating well (whole REAL foods) so if you're starving you must be underestimating your TDEE. I started to have success only after I changed my wt loss goal to 1/2 lb per week. Also incorporating good fats as others have suggested and focusing on your macros, but in looking @ your summary you seem right on just not ENOUGH. Try to increase your kcal for a couple weeks I bet you'll have success and feel more energetic.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What's your age, height and weight? Lets see if 1200 calories are enough for you. :)
  • smwildmon
    Options
    I fill my meals with LOTS of veggies, especially those that contain a lot of fiber. Veggies have low calories, but also are filling. For example, I make myself a tuna salad wrap, but instead of fries or chips I eat a banana or an apple. Also, popcorn is another very filling snack that you can eat quite a bit of. I buy the Jolly Time 100 calorie bags, and I can chow on that when I get hungry in between meals. I also learned that if you slow down while you are eating (chewing carefully and drinking water along with your meal) that you feel full with less food. This is because your stomach has time to tell your body that it is filled. Also, Special K cracker chips are awesome, and you can have 30 of them with only 110 calories.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    crossstitch054.jpg
  • Huasnagirl7
    Huasnagirl7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Struggling with the same issue...I wake up at night with huge salt and sugar cravings. Not too sure how to attack this but know going to the kitchen and giving in to these cravings is not the answer. Good luck.