been lifitng weights but not losing any weight

Options
ive been kinda bummed because i have been following my diet and been doing my cardio and been weightlifting heavy weights but i cant seem to loose any weight does anyone know why?its really frustrating and makes me going to the gym very unmotivated.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Open your diary if you want to recieve helpful advice.
  • Luis2787
    Options
    how do i do that
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you need to measure if you are lifting heavy, as you probably wont lose weight, but you will certainly lose inches.
  • Luis2787
    Options
    ohh okay im trying to loose about a pound a week so i am really pushing for it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It's common to see no change or an increase on the scale when you first start lifting due to muscles holding onto water (glycogen). Give it time.
  • kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Heya its hard to 'loose' weight by using weights because your actively building muscle which is denser than fat, so you will loose inches but not necessarly weight loss, I would use lighter weights for toning and resistance rather than muscle building and incorporate more cardio circuit for blasting the fat. x
  • Luis2787
    Options
    yea i am trying to lean out down to 150 for my normal weight and people said to do weight training and 30 mins of cardio and track all my foods.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you doing for strength training? Are you following a set programme?
  • Luis2787
    Options
    monday i do chest. tuesday ill do legs. wedsnday ill do back, thursday ill do abs, friday arms.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to take measurements. Ive been there and found I lost a lot in inches.
  • Luis2787
    Options
    i started about 3 weeks ago and i have only lost a pound idk what im doing wrong.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to take measurements. Ive been there and found I lost a lot in inches.

this!
  • Luis2787
    Options
    this is really upsetting me.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. It will happen.
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    ive been kinda bummed because i have been following my diet and been doing my cardio and been weightlifting heavy weights but i cant seem to loose any weight does anyone know why?its really frustrating and makes me going to the gym very unmotivated.

If you are lifting weights you will not necessarily see the scalel number drop but notice your clothes fit more loose. Muscle weighs more than fat. Don't be a slave to the scale.
  • DivineDee
    Options
    What kind of cardio are you doing and how often? I started doing the strength training but when I started doing the cardio I could see a big difference in the weight and I am losing inches slowly. I try to do cardio at least 5-6 times a week. I also stay beneath my calories. Even if I earn more calories from my cardio exercise I don't try to use them. Also, how much water are you drinking? What combinations of food are you eating? All of these things do matter. I hope this helps. But, don't give up.:smile:
  • Luis2787
    Options
    i run for about 30 mins on the treadmill
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Be patient! I have been lifting and doing cardio consistently for almost six months. It took awhile for the scale to budge, but I am wearing smaller jeans and definitely look better! I love how I am getting stronger and healthier. I can go a few weeks with no change on the scale, then lose two pounds in a week. I would just remember that the number on the scale is one measurement, but it doesn't tell the whole story.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It's hard to make a confident response when a.) your diary's closed and b.) you've been on the site for a month. Any new exercise regime is going to result in retained water, and assuming you just started exercising when you joined MFP (whenever you joined), that could result in that.

Another variable: if your food is being tracked correctly and you're not eating over your TDEE, it's still possible you are losing inches. As others said, and I can attest to, lifting weights during the process of weight loss makes the scale almost useless in the short term. You will be losing inches and dropping body fat % before the number on the scale truly reflects the loss due to the density of muscle versus fat.

P.S. Don't get upset. You've been at this only a few weeks; it takes time to see results, but nothing you're doing is useless. Your improving your bone density, cardiovascular health, etc... focus on fitness and fitness goals to try and distract you from the number on the scale if the measurements aren't working as a balm.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^ This.

I'm confused. I thought she was just here for snark. Must be the new profile pic. Solid advice