Raw almonds? What can I use them for?

Options
13»

Replies

• adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I add a hand full to my green smoothies.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    double post
    Almonds sold to the public are supposed to be pasteurized, either by steam or have chemicals used on them. Eating fewer chemicals is one reason why I bought them. I just don't want to get sick from eating them either.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Eat em up yum?

Something wrong with just eating them?
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I eat them just like that, love them raw!
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Roast them then dice some. Get some dark chocolate and melt it down mix them and then make little bite size balls. You now have a nice treat that you can share with coworkers or random MFP members who enjoy chocolate and almonds together..
  • 05HeatherLouise05
    05HeatherLouise05 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'd make Almond Milk out of them
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    Eat em up yum?

Something wrong with just eating them?
    I certainly do plan on eating them... I have 6 POUNDS of them and needed ideas or recipes. Thank you for your input. :)
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    Roast them then dice some. Get some dark chocolate and melt it down mix them and then make little bite size balls. You now have a nice treat that you can share with coworkers or random MFP members who enjoy chocolate and almonds together..
    Omg that sounds amazing. TY
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    double post
    Almonds sold to the public are supposed to be pasteurized, either by steam or have chemicals used on them. Eating fewer chemicals is one reason why I bought them. I just don't want to get sick from eating them either.

ah, I see - these are right off the tree.

Thanks for seeing my post before I edited it - I thought I double posted! ooops... brb gonna go learn how to internet...
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Pure maple syrup!!!

Did anyone say that yet???

My mom always makes them, and they are killer. You mix a pound of almonds with 1 tbsp of pure maple syrup.... spread on a baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse sea salt then roast them. (Or lately I've been making them without salt, still tasty!!!)
  • Anglzwachn
    Options
    6lbs might last a week in my house my kids love them raw or roasted and I use them to bake. Raw almonds are great for several things, you must keep them fresh they will go bad in a month or two you can keep them in the freezer for up to six months. As said before you can eat them raw or roasted. I would recommend freezing in two lb bags and then use one bag at a time. if you are having and almond thing then six lbs is a piece of cake..no pun intended to use. grind half and start baking they combined well with golden flax and chocolate chips to make cookies pancake and yes glorious high fiber lower glycemic (for the most part) Pizza Dough yes it taste good... so have pizza one night, chocolate chip cookies that have about 6-to 8 carbs. top yogurt roast some eat some raw they are great for controlling blood sugar and pack in the nutrients as well as healthy fat. 23 almonds is only 15 carbs so that is one carbohydrate selection if you are diabetic. Prevention.com , Web MD both have recipes for baked goods made with almond meal...(almond flour)
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    When I did my daily 5k speed walk, I'd count out 12-24 & eat them after my work-out. They're a great source of protein. :happy:
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    In case anyone wants the recipe, BIG party hit too

SWEET & SALTY ROASTED ALMONDS

1 TBSP MAPLE SYRUP IN BOWL
    ADD 300g OF NATURAL ALMONDS OR MORE
    STIR UNTIL FULLY COATED
    PLACE ON BAKING SHEET
    SPRINKLE WITH COARSE SEA SALT
    ROAST IN OVEN AT 350ºF FOR 8 MIN
    TURN ALMONDS OVER
    SPRINKLE WITH A LITTLE MORE SALT
    ROAST FOR 8 MIN OR MORE
    (NOT MORE THAN 20 MIN TOTAL)
    COOL COMPLETELY
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, almond butter, almond in smoothies, toasted almonds with garlic and fresh herbs, almond in granola, energy bars and again almond milk!

^^^ this ^^^ and almond pate... if you do a google search for raw almond recipes you should hit the mother load. If they are truly raw, soak your almonds first ; )
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Flourless chocolate cake recipes use almond meal so grind some up for it or there is an orange cake with almond meal too where you boil whole oranges the process skin and all. Sounds odd but very yum!
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I buy the large bags of roasted almonds at Sam's Club. They freeze beautifully. I have a few every day for a healthy, filling snack. Not sure, but I would think that raw would freeze well, also. Why not try freezing a handful overnight, then try roasting them and see how they turn out? If you can freeze them, you won't have to worry about using them up in a hurry.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I buy the large bags of roasted almonds at Sam's Club. They freeze beautifully. I have a few every day for a healthy, filling snack. Not sure, but I would think that raw would freeze well, also. Why not try freezing a handful overnight, then try roasting them and see how they turn out? If you can freeze them, you won't have to worry about using them up in a hurry.

Oh yes! I forgot to say this. I always keep mine in the freezer but they are roasted ones and you can eat them straight from the freezer and can't tell they are frozen. They taste like they were just freshly roasted everytime!
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I chop up raw almonds till they're very fine and use the powder as a sub for bread crumbs in meatloaf.