To weigh with or without clothes, that is the question

Options
I have always weighed myself with my clothing on minus shoes. Last night, I decided to get on the scale right before my shower, and wow did I like those numbers a lot better. I know from day to day out fits and accessories change which can add a little. How does everyone else weigh in? I guess the number without clothing would be the actual weight of my body. There was like 4 pound difference. Also, if anyone has any tips for the right time of day that would be helpful too. I tend to get on the scales several times on weekends and can see difference in the number throughout the day.

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Only get on the scale in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating anything with just underwear or nothing
  • b_stroke
    b_stroke Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i usually weigh in at the gym, so i make sure im wear the same outfit every time
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I never weigh in with clothes on . I also weigh in first thing in the morning... after using the restroom. My theory... i have less in my tummy. No food, no drink to weigh me down. 1 cup of water is 8 ounces.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm not a trainer, so please take this with a grain of salt. I always weigh in the morning and on the same day without clothes. I've see that morning is usually the best time, but I don't know if that's gospel or not. The main thing is consistency: same time of day and if you aren't obsessed with it, the same day of the week. I usually weight myself once a week, but I know others who weight themselves daily. These readings can flucuate based on water gain and other factors, so I find it more accurate to do it once a week.
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning after I use the bathroom in panties or nothing. :)
  • brandymandycandy
    Options
    I weigh in the morning after I use the bathroom in panties or nothing. :)

^^^ what she said!
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't know why one would weigh with clothes on?
    In the morning after you use the restroom, totally naked!
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    I weigh without..Monday mornings before I hop in the shower.
  • toniraew
    toniraew Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm with the majority. 2nd thing in the morning. I was curious about how my weight changes and how quickly food and water intake affects the scale. So, one day I weighted in second thing in the morning. Then again right before shower (there was about a 2 hour delay in those 2 events). I was surprised to see a 2 pound difference. And that happens pretty consistently. So, I'm sticking for early morning for my reports. I also remember a friend telling me she always recorded her weight on Friday morning, because weekends were prone to heavier eating. She then had all week to get back down and still lose that next pound. I've seen that play out as well, which is why I use Friday Morning 8am (ish) as my standing barometer.
  • aneedell
    aneedell Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Via respiration all nignt, and your early morning urination, by the time you are weighing in you are quite markedly dehydrated. Makes you feel good and its consistent, so nothing wrong with it. But realistically your body weight when reasonably hydrated is probably a better measure for purposes of BMI and Body fat calculations (at least I suspect so).
  • MrsRogers2010
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will definetly be doing it in the mornings and either naked or with underwear lol! :blushing:
  • LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I weigh with my clothes on because honestly.....your clothes don't weigh THAT much. Not unless your wearing armor for your job at medieval times or something. I used to be the person who would always want to weigh myself without clothes but now I realize it's just mind games. it's part of an addiction ( I think of it as a sort of addiction) that's simply trying to make excuses for stepping out of your boundaries....at least that's what I felt i was doing. it was like "oh, yay! I weigh half a pound less this morning without my clothes on, so I can splurge a bit! after all, I lost half a pound!" then you find yourself eating a low fat dessert in the afternoon....which then turns into potato chips...which then turns into a cookie....etc etc. or instead of it being food, maybe instead you just make the excuse, "oh I lost a bit of weight this morning, I don't really need to go to the gym today, I'll go tomorrow. after all, I'm already losing weight." It's also a sign that your not ready to face up to your weight problem. you need to be able to face your weight no matter what you're wearing or how much liquids your bladder is holding or poop you have inside you. There's a huge psychological element to losing weight. Don't let the scale be your enemy. it is simply a tool used to help you along the road. if you let your mind play these games you are only hindering your own success.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Only get on the scale in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating anything with just underwear or nothing

That is exactly what I do!
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Also with contacts not glasses, those weigh almost an ounce :laugh:
  • DonnaCarmody
    DonnaCarmody Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Right after I run in the morning without clothes. Rids all that water I drink!
  • Megz2006
    Megz2006 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I would do it right in the morning (and possibly after peeing although I am not sure if that would help a ton). That's what I have always done. If I were to do it at the end of the day before bed I have drank so much water throughout the day I actually weigh more.
  • jessmastrilli
    jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Mornings, after I pee and no clothes except underwear.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I weight butt nekkid. I like to get the lowest figure I can. Hell, I've often considered shaving all my body hair to get that extra half pound :laugh:
  • hart1028
    Options
    I do underwear only....but whatever you choose to do just make sure you are consistant each time
  • MrsRogers2010
    Options
    I don't think of it as "hey the scale last night said I lost 4 lbs because I didn't have on any clothes, now I can take a lazy day and eat 15,000 calories and it will be OK". I just want to get the most accurate number. I am very girly and tend to wear a lot of bulky jewelry, and since its cold, a lot of layers too. If there had only been a 1/2 pound to a pound difference I would not have asked this question to begin with! Also, I changed my beginning weight on here because it showed I lost almost 5 pounds when I weighed in and I know that's a lie. I want to be honest and true to myself to make sure that I am doing EVERYTHING I can to succeed.