To have 1 or more kids

Options
13»

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It is a selfish basis for deciding whether or not you want another child. BUT, we are a selfish species. I didn't realize just how selfish I was until after having kids.

You mentioned trying for a girl - if you can not love your body, how are you going to raise a daughter to love herself? How will you influence your son on the types of women he will think are attractive? No parent is perfect, and I am not judging at all, but these are things that you need to realize will have an effect on your parenting.

No 2 pregnancies are alike, what happened during 1 may not always be the case for subsequent pregnancies, and many many many people have health and vanity issues during pregnancy and beyond - but their desire and longing and instincts to have children, to raise children, to be a mother far outweigh all of that.
  • Mrder37
    Mrder37 Posts: 904
    Options
    Two is great I came from a family of ten kids some got more love than others 2 is perfect to share the love ,also 3 or more just **** it up when you book a holiday :))
  • FloweringPeony
    FloweringPeony Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is a selfish basis for deciding whether or not you want another child. BUT, we are a selfish species. I didn't realize just how selfish I was until after having kids.

You mentioned trying for a girl - if you can not love your body, how are you going to raise a daughter to love herself? How will you influence your son on the types of women he will think are attractive? No parent is perfect, and I am not judging at all, but these are things that you need to realize will have an effect on your parenting.

^^^ This is very well said.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with what others have said. I have 5 children and really wanted 6, but due to health reasons stopped at 5. No matter how much they have changed my body, I wouldn't change a thing!!
  • mcshoelovin22
    mcshoelovin22 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I blame my son for my stretch marks and he calls me a tiger (my sister taught him that bs) which makes me want to claw his eyes out lol, but I love him and I cant wait to have another one day.
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You either know without a doubt that you want another, or you don't. It's that simple. I have 3 beautiful boys that destroyed my body, had I stopped just because of that, I would have never made it past the 1st one. I knew I wanted 3, and that's what I had and wouldn't change a thing. I'm working to get my shape back, but the stretch mark "battle scars" that I have will only go away with a tummy tuck. But I kinda like them in a weird way. They remind me that my boys were in there, part of me, and that's a beautiful miracle.
  • 3lilangels
    3lilangels Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    VERY WELL SAID BEAUTIFUL AND SO TRUE.....I HAVE 3 AND WOULDN'T CHANGE IT FOR NOTHING.........
    You either know without a doubt that you want another, or you don't. It's that simple. I have 3 beautiful boys that destroyed my body, had I stopped just because of that, I would have never made it past the 1st one. I knew I wanted 3, and that's what I had and wouldn't change a thing. I'm working to get my shape back, but the stretch mark "battle scars" that I have will only go away with a tummy tuck. But I kinda like them in a weird way. They remind me that my boys were in there, part of me, and that's a beautiful miracle.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    We have 3 children and I would love to have more, I am currently getting my body back from the third, and so far, I can already tell that my stomach is shrinking, now as far as if I will have loose skin or not, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't trade my babies for anything. To me some of the best pros of having 3 children is that they always have someone to play with, they learn to share and just get tons of socialization skills from that. Other great things is that mine are so close to eachother and are super protective of eachother too. I love having a houseful, it's so much fun and I love watching them love on eachother it's just the most amazing thing ever!!
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For+every+woman+unhappy+with+her+postpartum+marks,+is+another+who+wishes+she+had+them+.jpg

Just something to think about.
    There are worse things

This and want strawberri said. Many of us have tried for years with no luck.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    At the risk of putting myself under fire I can say I understand both sides here. I think its frustrating for women who want children to hear that body changes are a concern for someone that has children.
    However no one here knows the OP's history. Many people have issues about their bodies that extend into many areas of their lives.
    I am a good mother. I wanted a child desperately. I also didn't think I could have children. I am so so so grateful for my son, but it was difficult for me to watch my body change so drastically after YEARS of emotion abuse surrounding my body.
    It seems incredibly unfair to deny those feelings or equate them with bad parenting. Sometimes its agonizing for me to look in the mirror and hear those words in my head. 'You're fat, you're gross'. I am a very logical person. But emotions are not always logical. It doesn't make me love my son any less because I don't like what pregnancy did to my body. I accept it. I work hard to improve it. Yes it was worth it, but that doesn't change my emotions surrounding it.

Very intelligent response. I have 2 & I'd like another. When finances are better...
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    At the risk of putting myself under fire I can say I understand both sides here. I think its frustrating for women who want children to hear that body changes are a concern for someone that has children.
    However no one here knows the OP's history. Many people have issues about their bodies that extend into many areas of their lives.
    I am a good mother. I wanted a child desperately. I also didn't think I could have children. I am so so so grateful for my son, but it was difficult for me to watch my body change so drastically after YEARS of emotion abuse surrounding my body.
    It seems incredibly unfair to deny those feelings or equate them with bad parenting. Sometimes its agonizing for me to look in the mirror and hear those words in my head. 'You're fat, you're gross'. I am a very logical person. But emotions are not always logical. It doesn't make me love my son any less because I don't like what pregnancy did to my body. I accept it. I work hard to improve it. Yes it was worth it, but that doesn't change my emotions surrounding it.

I think this was well said.

Absolutely. I have 2 children, and I put on a lot of weight with the 2nd. With the first I was able to go to the gym a lot, have time to myself etc while I was pregnant, whereas the 2nd time I didn't, so I kind of let myself go. Of course I knew at the time I was putting weight on, but I just told myself I'd lose the weight after, which I have done. It can be depressing looking in the mirror, but you know it doesn't take that long to improve! And children are so worth it. My children are my world.

I would like another one, and of course the weight gain worries me, but I think I'm so used to my MFP logging and exercise that I wouldn't gain anywhere near as much as I did the 2nd time. Plus I have my 2 who keep me busy :laugh:
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Just a thought...but what the sweet 'F' are ya gonna do if you end up preggers with twins? I didn't plan or expect it when I did...and if you think one baby messes up your body, then sunshine, you'd be in for one seriously rude awakening!!
    First pregnancy with a singleton was eat everything in sight and hope the 'baby weight' disappeared when my bundle of joy arrived, it did not.
    My second pregnancy with twins was a little more diet conscious and the years since have been a learning curve between diet and fitness...not consistent, but things eventually came together for me so I now have the tools and education to reach my goal. Twelve years on and I'm still trying to repair the damage twins did to my body.
    In all honesty though...I couldn't care less about what my body looks like as a result of being preggers...I'd have another baby (or multiples) again in a heartbeat!! They are the best things that ever happened to me without question or doubt.
    I would gladly gain another 100lbs to have that unconditional love and those ever so special cuddles or super silly moments, randomness and clever wit that they are so full of. Not to mention everything else in between...yes, that includes washing vomit off bedding and walls at 3am or not sleeping for a week while they tag team the flu.
    People call children gifts...but the truth is, they are far more than that. They should be your whole world and worth living and dying for.
    If your vanity is interfering with your judgement that you need to come here and ask....don't even adopt...those kids will probably have issues enough of their own to deal with without being afflicted by yours as well.