What is your resting heart rate?

Options

Replies

• cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The lowest I measure recently was 60, which was when I was stretching. I've never measure when I was 100% relaxed in bed.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
  • Westy5866
    Options
    42, im 46 yrs old.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My hands are always cold at work when I'm sitting at my desk. I have wondered if that may be because of my lower heart rate now. It was never like that when I was out of shape.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Just had a checkup last week, and this was one of the things my doctor was impressed with. I've been working out for six months and have lost 50 pounds, but still have over 100 pounds to lose and I'm 51 years old. My RHR is 60 which, apparently, is pretty good for someone like me.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Don't know mine, but I did read about an athlete his was 32...David Goggins....
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Usually in the mid 50's. It's been as low on a random test as 51. I'm 38 yrs old. It's AMAZING. It used to be consistently at 84!
  • Whipppets
    Options
    mine was low 50s spin 4x a week
  • BigSexy0_0
    Options
    60-67
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    62. It was in 80's when I was heavy.....
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    In the 40s. Last time I had to get anesthesia I kept setting off the 'low heart rate' alarms just by relaxing. Distance running will do that.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options

thank you marathon running
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Need to do a test soon, last one was 57 (am 53yrs old btw).
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I think it may partly be determined by genetics too. Some people just have a higher pulse and some lower.

Like most heart-related measurements, the change over a period of time and taken in the context of your overall fitness is a more useful value than a number by itself. It's kind of like comparing max heart rates that way.

If it drops over several months when you are training a lot, that's a good thing.

If you track it every morning, it can also give you some clues about when your body is wearing down and you need a break or when you have a cold coming on that you have not seen symptoms of yet (both of which are indicated by a 10% or more increase over your normal).

^^^ This.

Mine's around 47 at the moment - 2 years ago, it was in the mid-sixties. In my case, i'm definitely a "low-beater" - HrMax is equally low on the scale - even under closely medically supervised and heavily "encouraged" (read your trainer screaming in your ear to keep going!!) the old diesel engine won't rev above the low 170's either.

As to "setting off medical alarms", I had a bit of an accident maybe 25+ years ago, when I was properly fit, and when I came around 2 days later in the hospital bed, I was pretty much joined at the wrist to a nurse - they were checking my pulse manually every 10 minutes - after a couple of hours of holding hands with the nice nurse, I managed to tell them that my resting pulse was naturally between 38 and 40 because of the cycling, and If they contacted my family one of 'em would bring my training diary in to prove it if they wished...
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Mine is 60 when I'm laying on the couch. I don't know about my true RHR. Maybe I'll sleep with my HRM on tonight.
  • Timehope
    Timehope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Mine is 15 BPM below my age. (How many here can say that?)

My wife used to worry about me but then a few years ago she and a group of women started training for triathlons
    and over time her HR dropped into the 50s. Now she doesn't worry about me any more.
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    174cm, 34 yrs old, male, 200lbs
    RHR 52bpm
    Heart rate when doing cardio for more than 30 mins - 145bpm to 160bpm.

So it shoots up as soon as I exercise. That shouldn't be as much when I lose another 10kg to 15kg of weight! (Hopefully)
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    Mine is 50. It's always been low. Been exercising for 8 weeks now. It might be lower..
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    mines 56 bpm
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    37yrs, 270lb, RHR 55. Heavy lifting bra!