5'10 female. Is 130 too low?

Options

Replies

• ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hello, Im 5'10 and my goal weight is 130. I checked the bmi and it sais im okay but looking at other people who are shorter are aiming for the same goal... What should I be aiming for?
    So 130lbs is on the low end of the healthy range for your height. The high end (BMI of 25) is 174. So anywhere between 130-174 is your healthy weight range. I am 5 ft 2. My healthy range is 109-137. My goal weight is 130. I am shooting for the upper end of healthy. My older sister however is the same height and weighs 110. She looks great, it's just not where I am going to be. I plan on checking out how I look and feel when I get close to my weight goal. I may decide I want to go lower, but right now I chose a goal that seems somewhat achievable. 109 seems a little impossible. Maybe that is why you are seeing shorter people with the same goal. I would say that you should aim for whatever you want as long as it's in the healthy range. If you get close to 130 and that seems to low, it's ok to reevaluate and change.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    That sound VERY low. I'm 5'9" and anything below 150 makes me look sickly. Of course we're all built differently, but 130 sounds very low for someone of your/our height!
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    yes....too low! Every women is different and can hold weight differently. But in my opinion:

A good weight should be apx 145 - 150!

Edit to add: I'm 5'9" and apx 140. If I lose much more I'll look sickly!!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'd say too low.

But I'm 5'5, tend toward muscular, large framed....

Anything below 130 for me and too many bones are sticking out to look healthy or fit.
  • ElkieArnie
    Options
    Yeah I think it is too low too. Listen to what that other people have said but more so listen to your body when you get closer. I am 5"10 and my goal is 140.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hi - It completely depends on your frame size (not anyone else's opinion!!)

I'd suggest do some google searches for how to measure your frame to determine bone structure and then go from there.

I am 5'9" and weigh 120, I have a very tiny bone structure. At 130 I looked pudgey, bloated and overweight....Even when pregnant with my kiddos (20+ years ago) I didn't get any heavier than 155. Babies and I were perfectly healthy!
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hello, Im 5'10 and my goal weight is 130. I checked the bmi and it sais im okay but looking at other people who are shorter are aiming for the same goal... What should I be aiming for?

I think it really, really depends! I am 5'7" and have been steady at 160 for six months now, and while I still have some more weight to shed to really be no longer overweight, I have a very solid bodytype. I think I would not look good at 130. However, I have some friends and co-workers who are just so willowy. At 5'10" and 130 is great for them -- slender, but not *skinny*.

Heck, aim for it and see what happens! You'll know as you approach 145 ... 140 ... 135 if that will be too thin *for*you*.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I love this site. Just remember, this is "self-reported" heights and weights, so take with grain of salt.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html?height=5+10&weight=130&pant=any&shirt=any&zphoto=Large&new=1
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and the lowest I've ever been is 130lbs (and I was NOT eating enough....a little too obsessed with weight at the time....plus was in my late teens). I'm currently 155lbs and my goal is 145lbs....I'm 43 and in good shape.

Good luck whatever goal you set....set smaller goals and see how you look/feel when you get there...you'll know!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and would like to ultimately be 130, so personally I think that's too low for someone so tall.
  • harric88
    harric88 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft 10 as well aiming for 146. I have really really wide hips though so depending on your frame you might be ok however when I used to be 136 I looked like i'd been starved and wasn't looking healthy at all. Just see how you get along. Last time I dropped to 140 I decided it was a bit too thin for my frame. Good luck with your target :)
  • JenniNBond
    JenniNBond Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Im 5'10" and I would look skeletal at 130... literally - people would think I was dying. My doctor told me to shoot for 190... I do have a large frame and am 36 years old with a 14 year old daughter. I think that 130 is definitely too low though no matter what your frame is.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 124....if that helps you.
  • nikmack745
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and have a larger frame, my doctor told me my goal weight would be like 170 to 175.
  • bgoldstein05
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 160 and 130 for someone one inch taller than myself for a female is way too low. Think about why you want that number persay and what is driving it.

Keep yourself around the 140-150 mark.

Remember healthy and strong is always sexiest, not a number on a scale.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 10" and that is way too low for me.. i'd look sick. But let's see a picture of you..your shape and bone structure could be different.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I didnt read any of the comments above I'm sure most of them said thats low.

It depends on body type to be honest - people put way to much stock in BMI, for me at 5'9 and a guy 170 will be difficult to hit cause of muscle mass and bone structure but I have a buddy who is 5'11 and 160 and looks fine. It's all subjective

go to where you feel fit and dont put as much stock in BMI
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I concur that it might be a bit on the low side, unless you are very small framed. For example, my mother is 6'0" and weights about 137lbs, but also has extremely slender shoulders/wrists/etc. She is certainly thin, but no one would think she looks sickly or anything.
    I, on the other hand, and also 6'0" and currently weigh about 170lbs, and people refer to me as thin all the time. I have a much more solid build than my mom, and have been training with weights for about 3 years. I'd prefer to get back to 160lbs, and possibly even as low as 155lbs, but I doubt I could ever drop much lower than that.
    So, pay attention to your body, and go until YOU feel comfortable!
    Hope that helps some.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just stay the course and shoot for it. Keep looking in the mirror and make an intelligent decision about resetting your goal as you get closer. Progress pics will help you view yourself objectively.

Nothing wrong with 130 as a goal, just be smart about actually going to 130 :)
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and my end goal is 145/150; however, my goal is currently 170. I want to see how I look/feel at 170 and readjust from there with a more informed plan of action. It's easy to get a goal weight in your head, but when you're tall, and you've lost the weight, you'll probably find what actually looks good is 5 - 15 lbs. more than what you originally thought you wanted to be.