Has anyone lost weight without exercise?

Options
Is it even possible? I really really hate exercising. My goal is to lose between 10-15 lbs but the thought of going for a run, lifting weights, P90X etc just sounds kind of dreadful.

I told myself that I would just start by changing my diet and eventually would add in exercise. Well it's been 3 weeks so I feel like I should exercise, but I don't.want.to. I wouldnt say I'm active, but I'm a Mom of 3 and I'm always running around tending to someone's need. I'm not completely sedentary, lol. Has anyone lost weight without exercise?

Replies

• gemzpony1
    Options
    personally i workout but my friend doesnt and she has lost 10lbs in 3 weeks. she writes down what she eats every day
  • stellabobella79
    stellabobella79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's good to hear!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of people on my FL who have children to watch and they still exercise.

Can you lose weight with diet alone? Yes. As long as you maintain a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

Should you exercise? Yes. It's good for your health and your body comp.

Note: You only have 10-15lbs to lose, that is going to take some time to come off. The "last 15 are the hardest" is a common phrase around here. Have some patience.
  • carlaaa_x
    carlaaa_x Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've lost 5 pounds in 4 weeks just by eating the right amount of calories and healthier :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    sure, people lose weight all the time without exercising.

now, getting the body you want without exercising, that is a different story.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    yes you can lose it without exercise but you will also lose lean body mass which result in you looking "skinny fat" its not worth it in my opinion, but if you're dead set on losing weight the "easy" way then go for it.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight by restricting calories alone. Exercise has many benefits beyond just assisting weight loss and you will feel much worse than you might have if you had exercised. Remember to ask your doctor before changing any diet or starting an exercise routine.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    It is most certainly possible. I've lost weight WHILE exercising and while not (I had to stop for awhile due to health issues).

I think it's a bit harder to lose without since exercise cals give you a bit of a buffer with food... but with discipline you can lose either way!
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I lost 12 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks just with better food choices and water... I can honestly say that most days now I exercise so I can eat more, LOL...it will take longer to get to goal my doctor says but its not a race its a journey so do what you feel like hun and just dont give up.. (i wont let you anyways my dear friend)
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Yup. I lost 100+ lbs without exercise.

However, I was left with a body I despised even more than the one I had with 100 extra lbs, so I've been forced to play catch up for the last 8 months.

So yes, you can lose weight without exercise, but it's almost impossible to get the body you desire without some form of resistance/strength training.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I have....but did not like how it was changing my body for the worse.
  • kwseneca
    Options
    I hate hate hate exercise too. By the time I get off school, work, and everything, I JUST WANNA REST. But again...exercise really helps you build muscle and lose more weight than without it.
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Exercise can mean so many things. Do you like to dance? Could you enjoy a walk in the woods or on the beach? Exercise doesn't have to be a "workout."
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can lose weight without exercise, but you'll look a lot better if you do. You might even find that ten pounds you think you have to lose doesn't have to be lost at all.

Dreadful? That's a bit of an exaggeration. I never liked exercise at all, and I'd have laughed in your face if you told me 2.5 years ago that I willingly do the things I do now, but it's not dreadful.

Dreadful was catching a glimpse of my back side in a mirror when I didn't exercise. :laugh:

And really dreadful was having all kinds of overuse injuries because I didn't think exercise was necessary. :frown: Lifting weights or running can be boring, but not nearly as boring as bedrest.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    yes, but it will take longer and it won't change your body composition
  • cara91997
    cara91997 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that weight loss has more to do with the food you are eating than the exercise. BUT, your body will look a lot better and leaner if you do exercise. I would suggest you try to find something that you can enjoy. Exercise can be a variety of different things--walking, hiking, biking, dance, etc. I find that when I enjoy it I am more likely to do it. The trick is to find something you could like. And even if you don't like it immediately, try it a couple of weeks and see where you are. I seriously went from being a couch potato whenever I could (ie not at work, not touting the kids around, etc) to actually enjoying and looking forward to exercise. The more I did it the more energy I had.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    Like others have said, you CAN lose weight without exercise. However, it is going to be much more difficult, because you have to maintain a calorie deficit without the option of going over and burning it off later. It basically makes it more difficult.

The idea of doing exercise can seem daunting, but as the person before me posted, it doesn't have to be going to the gym, lifting weights, etc. Go on a hike somewhere. Dance. Clean the house. Mow the lawn. There are tons of options available.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Just as a FYI to the people who have lost weight without exercise - You look just fine. Don't mind all the people saying you look like crap because you didn't lift weights.

/leaves again
  • jessjoye
    jessjoye Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising, but I agree with everyone else that in the end you will be "skinny fat" with no muscle tone, cellulite, etc. Not really the body that you want. And I have been trying to lose these last 15 lbs too long while being lazy so trust me by saying the last 15 pounds are the hardest and unless you exercise and eat healthy it won't come off long term.

It will also give your kids a great impression of what a healthy life style is so it is good to do things that are fun and get them involved. Walk to the park, play ball with them, while they are playing maybe do some pushups and sit ups, lunges, squats. When they see that mom takes care of herself then they reap benefits too and will grow up healthy as well.
  • staciastacia
    Options
    Just remember, "Dieting is what helps you to look good with clothes on, but exercise is what helps you to look good without clothes on"