Banana Pancakes.. with egg whites?

Options

Replies

• almostgoodbye99
    almostgoodbye99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sorry, did I not say that in my first reply?

Yes, you can make them with just egg whites. It's a slightly different flavour and texture, but I find it gives a fluffier result.

Thanks for the information. I have been putting off making them for a couple of months now because I didn't want to end up having to throw it out if it didn't work with egg whites. Now I know I can give it a go! :)
  • almostgoodbye99
    almostgoodbye99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do these all the time - I only use liquid egg whites, one good glug (approx 2 whites) to half a mashed banana. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of flaxseed or chia seed. Cinnamon or nutmeg works well. Add a few blueberries and/or raspberries when they're done (i give mine 1 minute in the microwave, check it's done, then eat straight from that shallow bowl.)

And yes, you did, and I apologize. I misread your post the first time so I went back and reread it...again, thank you.
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I make them with just egg whites and banana and they come out fine! Sometimes I also add blueberries, raspberries or half a cup of oats and again they're fine :)
  • cjeschke
    Options
    I make a chocolate peanut butter variation, but I also use oats: 2 egg whites, 1/3 cup of oats, 1 mashed banana, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder...and then i top them with organic peanut butter instead of syrup :)
  • epursey
    epursey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've made these to. Very yummy! I'm going to try cjeschke's variation with oats tomorrow :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i just do one egg and one banana, not sure if egg whites will work.
  • 3DCAKE
    3DCAKE Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is so interesting....So do you put the banana and egg white in a blender then cook it just like you would a pancake?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I get a shallow bowl.

I mash half a banana in that bowl, and squish it to one side.

I pour in a glug of egg whites (1-2 egg whites worth)

With a fork, I whisk up the egg white till frothy.

I stir in the banana until the mixture is evenly mixed.

I add any other flavourings I need and stir those through.

Cook in microwave.

Eat from same bowl. With the same fork.

I'm lazy when it comes to washing up.
  • zumbarock
    zumbarock Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sounds great and easy! Microwave goodness :) Pancakes would be nice too, like a crepe! thanks guys
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I love whole eggs, nothing nicer than a soft boiled egg with dippy soldiers. But for pancakes, i find the whites fluff up better.

You just gave me a craving for eggs & soldiers.

soft-boiled-eggs-66751.jpg

:love: :love: :love:
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Yep....I use a 1/2 cup of egg whites and do it....it's deliciousness. Add in some PB2 for even more magnificence. I even make them in those microwave egg white makers....though skillet is more pancakey :)
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I make a chocolate peanut butter variation, but I also use oats: 2 egg whites, 1/3 cup of oats, 1 mashed banana, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder...and then i top them with organic peanut butter instead of syrup :)

Well, I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow!! Yummy!
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    absolutely delicious!! Give it a go :)
  • Melissakay1222
    Melissakay1222 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just in case anyone is interested . . . . I made these last night and I used one very ripe banana (small) and 3/4 cup of the liquid eggs. I used the Break-Free brand from Krogers. Mine turned out fantastic and it made 3 large crepes/pancakes! I also added some ground cinnamon and a teaspoon of vanilla to the batter. I fried them in a teflon pan with non-stick spray. It was extremely low cal (about 150-160 for all 3) and completely filling and satisfying! This will be a regular of mine for sure!
  • Tammyinbali
    Tammyinbali Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I make them with just banana & egg whites. Nice & thin crepe style (splash of unsweetened almond milk if needed)...and I top with Smucker's No Sugar Added Wild Blueberry Jam. YUM!!!
  • cjeschke
    Options
    Just a quick tip for anyone who is going to try the recipe that i posted with the oats: if you are not using quick-cooking oats, you should mix the batter ahead of time and refrigerate it for a while (i would say at least 30 minutes). This gives the oats time to soften a little bit before you cook the pancakes. Enjoy!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've made them with 1 whole egg and 1 egg white! SO GOOD
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm I think these sound more like banana omelets.
  • zlrichardson
    Options
    Instead of using Banana (which I'm allergic to), my old trainer gave me the following recipe that is awesome for pancakes!

Ingredients:
    0.5C Low/Non-fat Cottage Cheese
    0.5C Liquid Egg Whites
    0.5C Raw Oats
    2Tbsp Creamy Peanut Butter (optional)
    2Tbsp Light Agave Nectar (optional)

Directions:
    1. Blend all three ingredients together until very runny (I typically add the oats, then the cottage cheese and finally the egg whites as it makes the blending go more smoothly)
    2. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat
    3. Pour blended batter into three evenly distributed pancakes (or more if you make them smaller)
    [Optional]
    4. Top pancakes with peanut butter and lightly drizzle agave nectar over the top

Another thing I used to do was to make a batch of these for the whole week and then freeze them in single serving sized ziploc bags. Then I would just pull them out of the freezer, pop them in the toaster and a couple minutes later breakfast was ready. If I cooked them fresh each morning, which tastes better, the entire process took me about 10-12 minutes to complete.

Enjoy! :smile:
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I get a shallow bowl.

I mash half a banana in that bowl, and squish it to one side.

I pour in a glug of egg whites (1-2 egg whites worth)

With a fork, I whisk up the egg white till frothy.

I stir in the banana until the mixture is evenly mixed.

I add any other flavourings I need and stir those through.

Cook in microwave.

Eat from same bowl. With the same fork.

I'm lazy when it comes to washing up.

Thank you so much for the details! I am a microwave & least washing when it comes to cooking!