should one eat bread if trying to lose weight????

Options

Replies

• rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Do you have any gluten intolerance?

It might make you drop some water weight (just lower carbs in general), but aside from any intolerances or medical issues there is no reason to exclude a specific food to lose weight. Count your cals and you should be golden.

Now if bread is something you tend to binge on, then maybe try getting rid of it for a little while. That's what I've done in the past and then allow myself to have it when I go out to eat (forced portion control). I've learned moderation over the past year or so for things like bread and cheese so I don't worry about excluding or restricting them anymore.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    eat whatever you want just do it in moderation
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat bread daily also.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of bread.
    White bread? No.
    Whole wheat/multi-grain? Yes.

Yeah, because whole wheat bread/ multigrain has some magical properties where the calories don't count? :noway:

MagiCals
  • huggiebear96001
    Options
    I eat bread almost daily- and am still loosing. I buy the Sara Lee 45 Calorie whole wheat or multi grain. It is rather good and only 45 calories per slice.
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There is a bread by nickles that is 35 calories a slice as opposed to 70 calories a slice for regular bread. They make white and whole grain versions of it. You can have bread if you want but you'll still need to count it of course. I personally limit bread and carbs though just because I feel it leads me to crave things.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love white/brown bread and i could eat it with every meal. It must have some effect on my body????anyone have any feedback on it?????:happy:

I love bread too! I eat it every day, just about. Just keep to your carb goal and your calorie goal and you'll lose weight.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of bread.
    White bread? No.
    Whole wheat/multi-grain? Yes.

Strike that. Reverse it. Multi-grain bread is nasty.
  • jerknoir
    jerknoir Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some sort of sensitivity or allergy where a bite of toast makes you blow up like a parade balloon, I still say everything in moderation. Personally I'm easing my way into Paleo so the processed loaf of whole wheat in my fridge is off limits, but I know slipping and putting a PB&J in my lunch when I'm broke isn't going to kill me. Love me some bread.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I personally think bread has a negative effect on the body... But when i do eat it, i strictly only eat 100% whole wheat bread. But it all depends on what your goals are. If you wana get ripped, then dont eat it... And if you dont think you can go the rest of your life without bread, then dont cut it out because youll just gain your weight back..
  • kew1952
    kew1952 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    eat whatever you want just do it in moderation

This is my philosophy. I'm doing this for a long term life style change, so I have to be able to eat things I love or I will not be able to continue. Moderation is the key, which can easier said than done!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I have a family history of Type 2 Diabetes, and I carry my weight in my midsection. I am not diabetic, but tend to be a bit insulin resistant, so I do better when I stay away from processed flours and sugars. That said, I do occasionally have bread products. I really like the WhiteWheat bread. It has the taste and texture of white bread, but with added fiber. One slice is only 70 cals I think, and it makes a great toasted ham and cheese sandwich when I really get the urge for one.
    I also like flour tortillas, and I use the Mission Carb Balance tortillas, that are just like reg flour tortillas, but have a TON of fiber in them, so the net carbs for a medium is only 6 I think.

If you have no problems with wheat or other bread, and can eat them in moderation, they go ahead. For some, bread will trigger binges and they can't restrict it to moderate levels.
  • fitfreakymom
    Options
    white bread pocesses differently than whole wheat just like white pasta, rice and so on
    It is recomended that you limit white bread , rice pasta due to the way we process it.
  • 6Petite
    6Petite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I read that one should only eat "sprouted grain bread" as it also helps lose belly fat. It is good, sweet and filling even with just one piece. I buy Country Harvest-100% Whole Grain SPROUTED Multigrain.. 1 slice has
    120 calories
    3g Fibre
    1.5 Fat
    180 Sodium and
    6g Protein.....

IT must say "sprouted on the package....... try it, I love it :
    :love:

I've been reading alot of articles about studies saying that whole wheat is BAD for belly fat... I will have to look for the "Sprouted" variety.
  • fitfreakymom
    Options
    But that said I make my own bread and will be making both white and ww today
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I started eating Ezekiel bread and I been losing weight; love it! :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    And the posts above are a classic example of why people get confused. One says stay away from white bread because of how we process it differently and one says whole wheat breads leads to increased belly fat!! lol

IIFYM = If It Fits Your Macros eat whatever you prefer. More diet fail from trying to follow a bunch of useless rules than from fitting bread into your calories and macros. That's if you like bread of course. :wink:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Musta been the Ezekiel bread and not the calorie deficit. I'm positive!!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Musta been the Ezekiel bread and not the calorie deficit. I'm positive!!

I agree!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    if it fits in your calories and you're getting the nutrition you need, go for it. I avoid bread for the most part as it's not something I do portion control with it too well. Just my personal preference.