Has anyone lost weight without exercise?

Options

Replies

• one15ts
    Options
    i have, but i honestly looked a lot better with exercise esp. with weight lifting. skinny fat just doesn't look good on me, and i don't really like exercise myself.
  • scottelle
    scottelle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from. I mean, seriously, in this day and age..who has the time OR energy to work out after kids, jobs, spouses, friends, etc. I felt the exact same way!! BUT..I finally had enough at the beginning of this year. I had spent 10 years feeling tired, depressed, fat, and just overall unhappy. I am a stay at home mom to 5 kiddos (Yep..I said 5..haha:). I started DVRing Gilad on FitTV each day. Every day, I squeeze those 25 minutes in whenever I can. After 1 month, I feel like a different person. I'm so much happier and in turn...I'm a better mom, wife and friend. It truly becomes almost an addiction and you don't feel as good unless you get your endorphins going at least once a day with exercise! Just give it a try. What do you have to lose? You don't have to run a marathon or work out for 2 hours/day for it to make a difference. HONESTLY. My body is changing (for the better) every day. Once you start seeing those results...you'll be DAMN SURE to get that exercise in each day. Good luck!!!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    50 lbs. lost with almost zero exercise. Am I happy with the way I look? Nope. I'm just smaller. So I have started exercising to hopefully put on some muscle weight.
  • allie_rat
    allie_rat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Exercise can mean so many things. Do you like to dance? Could you enjoy a walk in the woods or on the beach? Exercise doesn't have to be a "workout."

^^This.

I really enjoy exercise because it gives me time to switch off or think over things and I feel good knowing I'm doing something that is good for me. You just need to find something that you enjoy.
  • gespo89
    gespo89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It can be done, but I've done both and honestly find diet + exercise a lot easier than diet alone. I've been shooting for 750-1000 calorie deficit a day and it was easy when I was burning 600 calories from exercise and cutting 400 from food. I have less time for exercise now and days I don't get any in, you start to miss those 600 calories of food a bit.

Plus, while it's difficult if not impossible to gain muscle on a calorie deficit 95% of the time, if you haven't been exercising at all, you are at one of the few points where you can actually have some success doing both at the same time and it will make you look much better when you actually lose the weight you want.

That said, healthy diet without exercise is better than no diet at all.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Unless you are running miles and miles every day, exercise probably onlyvaccounts for 20% of a person's weigh loss. The other 80% is what you put in your mouth. Sure you can lose weight by diet alone. But I suggest you try different physical activities until you find one you like. There's so much to choose from. Walking, swimming, dancing, zumba, skating.....exercise should not be unpleasant. The health benefits as well as mood, physique and quality of sleep will all improve.
  • milygrisel
    Options
    yes , it's posible, with the correct diet, and trying to be responsable with the breakfast, lunch , and dinner, BUT IT MAKES YOU NOT TO EAT TO MUCH CALORIES AND LESS FOOD!
  • caroleh78
    Options
    just walking for me at the moment
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Never mind
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Only time in my life prior to this that I lost weight was a 2 week bout with the flu. Didn't move much from bed and no exercise was had during that time. Wouldn't suggest it though to anyone as a weight loss strategy...
  • kellyflesch
    Options
    I started out a few years ago at 5'1, 180lbs. I used weight watchers my first year and lost (and have kept off) 40 lbs of that, and I didn't do much for exercise besides walking maybe 30 min a day on average. Now that I'm trying to get the last 20 lbs off, I'm finding it more difficult to do with diet alone. I think when you have a lot of weight to lose, it can come off pretty easily with diet alone, but once you get down to the last 10-20lbs, it becomes harder without exercise.
  • lcanon
    lcanon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost 19 pounds without exercise. It took a about 6 months. I had to track EVERYTHING I ate and drink a lot of water. I kept calories between 1200 and 1400. Over the holidays I gained back a few pounds. Now I am working out and seeing results much quicker.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is it even possible? I really really hate exercising. My goal is to lose between 10-15 lbs but the thought of going for a run, lifting weights, P90X etc just sounds kind of dreadful.

I told myself that I would just start by changing my diet and eventually would add in exercise. Well it's been 3 weeks so I feel like I should exercise, but I don't.want.to. I wouldnt say I'm active, but I'm a Mom of 3 and I'm always running around tending to someone's need. I'm not completely sedentary, lol. Has anyone lost weight without exercise?

Yes, it's possible, especially since you don't have much to lose. Just plan to keep your calorie deficit small in order to minimize loss of lean body mass. Figure your TDEE and do a 10% cut. That should cause you to lose about a half pound a week.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I haven't worked out since September 2012, but I continue to lose weight. It's possible, it's just not the same.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I can count cleaning the house as exercising? Well never mind then, I exercise constantly LOL!

Seriously though, my goal is to look good in a swimsuit at the pool this summer. Maybe I'll try sit ups, pushups, and lunges to start.

Squats!!!!!!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some people have, but how do you expect to keep it off? I don't believe I would have ever kept my 70lbs off for over 20 years without exercise!
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My dad lost about 35 pounds just by eating healthy BUT he can't get past the 190 mark (which for 5'6 is still unhealthy) and I told him he needs to at least start walking (he's 70)...I would check out Jillian Michaels Body revolution- its only a half hour a day. I never liked working out but I can do ANYTHING for a half hour! And I got results, plus she is so motivating and has funny quotes that just keep me interested. Feel free to check out my before and after pics on my page. I am on round 3 of Body rev and loving it.
  • sphira
    sphira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same. I started out good without exercising. I lost about 24lbs in 7 weeks. Then I hit a plateau (which I didn't think would happen until further down the line, I don't know why). I began to question whether I would have to result to exercising, because like you, I hate it! To motivate myself, I began to research home gyms and have decided to get one, plus a set of dumb bells. I started at 253 and am now 228, but gained 3 lbs in the last two weeks, while still on the same 1200 calories allowed. I am dreadfully looking forward to putting forth the effort. As earlier stated, I think I would rather lose weight and have a good looking body to go with it. I still have a long way to go but I'm shocked to have gotten this far. So, asking again, have I hit a plateau because I HAVE to include exercising, or do I increase my calorie intake by 100-200 to "kick start" my metabolism? Please tell me I still don't need to exercise right away. LOL Am I fustrated? Yes. But I refuse to give up so any advice will do.

You need to eat more. Your body needs fuel for the workout. I highly recommend reading IPOARM . Here is the link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I lost my first four pounds just by monitoring what I ate on MFP and doing yoga. But definitely lost more weight, and toned!, with extra cardio and lifting...how about finding a fun way to exercise, so it seems like less of a chore? Hiking, roller blading, tennis, heck even cleaning and gardening can be cardio work! :flowerforyou: Find what works for you, there's something out there, I promise!!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I was wondering the same. I started out good without exercising. I lost about 24lbs in 7 weeks. Then I hit a plateau (which I didn't think would happen until further down the line, I don't know why). I began to question whether I would have to result to exercising, because like you, I hate it! To motivate myself, I began to research home gyms and have decided to get one, plus a set of dumb bells. I started at 253 and am now 228, but gained 3 lbs in the last two weeks, while still on the same 1200 calories allowed. I am dreadfully looking forward to putting forth the effort. As earlier stated, I think I would rather lose weight and have a good looking body to go with it. I still have a long way to go but I'm shocked to have gotten this far. So, asking again, have I hit a plateau because I HAVE to include exercising, or do I increase my calorie intake by 100-200 to "kick start" my metabolism? Please tell me I still don't need to exercise right away. LOL Am I fustrated? Yes. But I refuse to give up so any advice will do.

You need to eat more. Your body needs fuel for the workout. I highly recommend reading IPOARM . Here is the link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I completely agree with sphira!
    You need to eat more. Ask yourself if you'd rather lose slowly and keep it off or lose quickly and risk yo-yoing back up! In under a year I've lost over 30lbs (from 189 to 155.5) by eating anywhere from 1600-2500 calories a day. I have not plateaued at all so far, and the only thing I've adjusted over the course of my losing is slowly increasing the intensity of my workouts as i become stronger.

as for the losing weight without exercise: yes you can, I did. then I gained it back. then I lost it again. then gained it back. the only thing that has worked for me is working out, start easy, take your kids for a walk a few times a week and look up the 200 situps, 200 squats, 100 pushups programs. sounds intimidating but it slowly works you up from wherever you are now to being able to do that many of each exercise. I love love loved doing couch to 5k (had to stop due to some foot issues so I can't run on a treadmill anymore but as soon as its warm enough to hit my local highschool's track I'm on it!) You will be amazed at the changes in your body when you start working out, I have definition in my arms that I've never had, I can pick things up that I used to have to drag or have my husband get for me. I can take stairs without getting winded! Its worth it and its addicting, you say you don't like it but once you start you'll find something you enjoy and it'll make your weight loss so much better.

Also I would like to point out RobynMWilson's profile pic. She weighs exactly the same in those pictures, she got that radical of a change just by working out!