Has anyone lost weight without exercise?

Options

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I have. Ok I run about once a week, but it's an easy slow run. I think food influences weight loss more than anything else.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Isn't there some saying that weight loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym? I agree with this but....I would be a mess without exercise. Endorphins are a beautiful thing. Without exercise, I would get nothing done! Exercise keeps me sane. There are so many different things you can do. The key is finding something that you like:)
  • cem9532
    cem9532 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes Mam!! I have lost 27lbs without exercise. I hate exercise so much, i know if i start a routine I might make myself do it for a week or two but then wont be able to make myself do it. To me exercise is dreadfully boring. Aside from the occasional walk or something I havent done any. I do wish I had the drive some of the people on here have but I just dont. I actually have an oppurtunity right now for a free 1 year gym membership and was like no thanks.
    They say its 80% diet and I think that must be true because its working. Im hoping maybe as I lose more weight I will have more energy to want to exercise. Right now about all I get is housework, but sometimes thats alot of work especially on days with sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, and laundry up and down stairs. I can make myself very sore from it on the days I clean for several hours.
    Good Luck!!
  • ewelsh92
    ewelsh92 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I myself hated exercising as well, but once I started, I've realized how good it has felt! It gives you a boost in your mood as well as energy, you get so many endorphin's which can help relieve you of some stress! That's one of the main reasons I've started working out more often. They don't have to be long exercises either, I work about 3-4 times a week for 30-45 minutes each time, granted I work during the week and walk for basically 5 hours a day lol But It's not too bad and I feel awesome afterwards! :)
  • d4ley1
    d4ley1 Posts: 73
    Options
    if you keep under your cals you ill lose with or without. i have lost 20lb so far with little exersise and a desk job. having said that when i lose a couple more stone i will exersise more because it will be easier without the weight hope this helps add me if you like
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I originally lost the first 23 lbs. just kind of casually watching what I ate -- as in not snacking so much, not taking seconds but not really being intentional or methodical about it or putting alot of thought or effort into it. There was alot more up and down yo -yoing that way and it took ---oh I'd say around 18 months to get that far. I am not a big fan of exercise either (anyone who has known me very long can testify that that is the understatement of the year!!!!) but when it dawned on me that the only way to convince my doctor that my knee pain issues were more than just weight (he believes me now!!) was through actually losing the weight, I decided that I hated pain worse than exercise and that is REALLY saying something for me. ha ha My first aha moment after getting intentional about the weight loss and starting to exercise in spite of myself was when I realized about 6 weeks into it that I had literally doubled my total weight loss in a fraction of the time. I went from 23 lbs in 18ish months to 23 lbs in the first 6 weeks for a total of 46 lbs. gone. That totally motivated me to keep doing it even though I was not, am not and will never love Love LOVE exercise like some people do. I've learned to tolerate it and actually NOT completely hate it --- maybe not actually like but not hating it is a big step for me. I've learned that there are things my body CAN do in spite of my bad knee and how to modify exercises that I can't do the traditional way and I CAN get through it -- I just have to not think too much about it or give myself the option to choose not to. I just get up and do it first thing and get it over with so I can go onto doing the rest of my day which can only get better from there!! And actually the not liking it is part of the motivation to keep it up because I can get to goal faster that way and get it over with! Instead of trying to love something that I probably never will, I spend my energy just actually doing it. I don't have to love it, I just have to do it to get where I'm going as quickly as humanly possible. As I told my aunt last summer, I can't say I actually LIKE walking and biking --they are just the ones I DISLIKE the LEAST. As the weather turned cold and rainy, I rely more on low-impact Fitness Blender videos from fitnessblender.com when I can't be outside or don't want to be, because I find their style more tolerable than most fitness workout videos and they are free (which fits my budget perfectly) and they have enough different options in the low impact category that actually ARE low impact (I have to wonder if some of them fitness nazis out there really know what low-impact means--awful lot of bounce in most of them!!) so I CAN do them in spite of my knee limitations. So don't push yourself to actually LIKE it at first, concentrate on finding something you can tolerate and that you are physically capable of doing....and discipline yourself to do it, no matter how you feel. You may not ever love it, like me -- no matter how many people preach the "fitness high" that theoretically makes you not want to stop after 15 minutes or 40 days or whatever their bandwagon is, it has never happened to me nor do I expect it ever will. If it ever does, it will be nothing short of God because there is nothing in me that craves this at all, in the least little bit. I can't waste my energy trying to make that happen when I need all my energy just to do it!! That being said, if you've only got 10-15 lbs. to lose and young children to chase around, it is probably completely doable to just watch your nutrition, and lose with portion control and not grazing/snacking and lose the weight. Try it. If it works, great! If not, try to find the one thing you can tolerate to add in a little extra exercise to your daily routine. God luck!!
  • hypocritelecter
    hypocritelecter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I went from 180 to 145 in the past I was still flabby/soft, and this was just from eating clean and not exercising at ALL. When I jumped to 208 and now that I'm in the 160s, I'm a hell of a lot more toned and firm and am way more confident now. I don't go crazy when exercising (I don't even go to a gym) but little things you can do at home like crunches, leg lifts, jumping jacks, russian twists, tricep dips, burpees, squats(!) as well as going for a light jog really do wonders. I'd recommend working a little something into your routine.
  • bubbli71
    Options
    Of course you can!! But why would you want to?
    You'll end up all flabby.
    And who the hell suggested to you that you should do something like P90X??
    For someone who hates exercise that much, I would certainly not be telling you to go to extremes.
    For you, its going to be important to find something you can do that you can live with.
    Walking? Dancing? there are heaps of DVD's out there that... there are even ones that only go for 10 minutes.
    My suggestion would be to do something instead of nothing, and NOT to do something extreme which will make you hate exercise even more than you do now.
    Exercise is good for everything, and you'll feel better for it after a awhile.
    Just do a bit of something every day.
    Good luck!!
  • mag2906
    mag2906 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you are only interested in number on the scale then yes, it is possible.

I'm guessing you want to lose weight to look better as well and it will be hard to achieve without exercising.
    I'm not a big fan of exercise either, I treat it as necessity but "the pain" is really worth it once you see the results.
  • stellabobella79
    stellabobella79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sooooo...I walked a 5k this morning. A friend of mine was unable to do the Color in Motion run so last minute she asked if I wanted her bib numbers. Two of my friends were going with their daughters and my daughter came too. It was actually fun. We jogged a little but walked the majority of it. I really loved the time with my friends and sweet kiddo. I was wiped out when we got home but I was in the best mood all day. I think I could handle more walks in my future. :)
  • emobarbie7
    Options
    Just as a FYI to the people who have lost weight without exercise - You look just fine. Don't mind all the people saying you look like crap because you didn't lift weights.

/leaves again
    Thank you...some of us in all honesty don't have the time or the money to get into the gym or work out in our living rooms, I lost a ton of weight by eating right and watching my calories, I may not look "fit" but i am happy with my dedication, and will power.
  • Blakester526
    Options
    I have learned that the ONLY way to lose weight without any exercise is to drastically reduce the number of calories you take in a day. You should still have 3 meals a day and ALWAYS eat breakfast plus 2 100 calorie snacks a day. Most of us have anywhere from a 2500 to 3000 calorie daily diet (on average). Try eating 1500 calories a day or less. Mind you, it is VERY hard to do and you have to be honest about every bite of of food you put in your mouth. It can be done though.
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Is it even possible? I really really hate exercising. My goal is to lose between 10-15 lbs but the thought of going for a run, lifting weights, P90X etc just sounds kind of dreadful.

I told myself that I would just start by changing my diet and eventually would add in exercise. Well it's been 3 weeks so I feel like I should exercise, but I don't.want.to. I wouldnt say I'm active, but I'm a Mom of 3 and I'm always running around tending to someone's need. I'm not completely sedentary, lol. Has anyone lost weight without exercise?

Sure, anything is possible... but you should at least try walking or something. I HATED exercise but now I feel guilty if I don't do my scheduled exercises. I also hated running but lost quite a bit of weight after starting the Couch to 5k program. Find something you might enjoy and go for it! Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • martini83
    martini83 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have four young ones, i hate hate hate exercise to, and really had to force my self for the first two weeks and although i still hate it more then anything while doing it, its the fact i feel proud ive done it afterwards that keeps me doing it, i dont just want to loose weight i want to look toned too! today im so sick i cant even get out of bed, and all i cant think is maybe i should do half an hour really slowly on the treadmill, i feel totally guilty.
  • alrena3
    alrena3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have lost 16lbs since Jan. 4th and have not really exercised...just been eating a lot better, and have completely given up carbonated drinks!
  • lynnetteebert
    Options
    Yes, I am 72 years old and have lost 71 pounds in a year and a half without any exercise.
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. Even a little bit of walking will help. :)
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I saw a post one time that seems to be true:
    If you want to look good with clothes on, diet. If you want to look good naked, diet and exercise.

I lost my first 50 pounds with no exercise. I'm about 15 pounds from goal and it is getting harder to lose. Going very slowly but it is still going!!
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    I babysit up to 6 kids a day, ages ranging from 9 months to 3 years, 7:15am - 5:30pm, plus I have a teenage son and a husband to care for. I get up at 5am because as much as I HATE exercise, it's a priority...really isn't an option in reality, and I am worth it. There are always excuses, but they can always be overcome, so do it!!!
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    Just as a FYI to the people who have lost weight without exercise - You look just fine. Don't mind all the people saying you look like crap because you didn't lift weights.

/leaves again
    Thank you...some of us in all honesty don't have the time or the money to get into the gym or work out in our living rooms, I lost a ton of weight by eating right and watching my calories, I may not look "fit" but i am happy with my dedication, and will power.

If you have time to get online, watch television, update Facebook, etc, you have time to work out. It doesn't need to cost anything more than a little motivation and walking around your neighborhood or even inside of your home if you need to. Get up and jog around during commercials. Dance to a couple songs on the radio. Go up and down the stairs several times. Just move!!!