ANYONE ELSE ADDICTED TO CHEESE?

Options

Replies

• maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying blocks of cheese because I would cut off too big of chunks and eat it plain. Really dense in calories which is bad, even though I'm 23 I found out I have high cholesterol (its heredity...but still, I need to watch fat intake).

I buy finely shredded cheese and use it lightly or I use laughing cow cheese wedges. :-) I still eat cheese, just smaller portions.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

I friggin love cheese but found it not only wasted my calories but was binding. You get a little older and regularity moves up the list of things you love. So I gave it up. After a while I didn't miss it.

Give yourself some time without it and you may lose the craving. Another helpful approach might be to watch a video on how they make cheese, or at least used to. It involved taking spoiled milk and pouring it into the internal organs of farm animals. After it turns into something more disgusting than vomit, with time it becomes cheese.

There's a reason they call it cheese. Did that help?

I think you're referring to the use of rennet, which can be derived from stomach lining. It can be animal or not in origin. As a vegetarian, I always try to buy cheese that has NON animal rennet sources, if I buy it at all. So, you can get around that.
  • supergirljen
    Options
    I am from Wisconsin....I am SERIOUSLY addicted to cheese!
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options

I friggin love cheese but found it not only wasted my calories but was binding. You get a little older and regularity moves up the list of things you love. So I gave it up. After a while I didn't miss it.

Give yourself some time without it and you may lose the craving. Another helpful approach might be to watch a video on how they make cheese, or at least used to. It involved taking spoiled milk and pouring it into the internal organs of farm animals. After it turns into something more disgusting than vomit, with time it becomes cheese.

I think you're referring to the use of rennet, which can be derived from stomach lining. It can be animal or not in origin. As a vegetarian, I always try to buy cheese that has NON animal rennet sources, if I buy it at all. So, you can get around that.

I was going straight for the scare tactic. Cheap but sometimes effective.
  • Snackman88
    Snackman88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I ate it all the time. I would fold the Kraft cheeses into little pieces and eat it like a mouse before dinner lol
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I need support and ideas to help me cut down

I'm sort of lactose intolerant? Like if I eat fatty dairy products I get really bad stomach problems... so I need to cut down

But.

Seriously. If I could put cheese on everything I would. It's bad. How do I cope??

I know what you are going through - I love cheese too.

Ignore it and it will go away. Eventually your cravings for cheese will diminish in time. If you look at your cravings you might find its the salt or the diary fat that you are craving. Also, if you are intolerant to cheese, then focusing on how bloated it makes you feel while you are craving it might be an effective strategy.

Most cheese is very energy dense. So, if you find yourself being tempted at the supermarket, scan the barcode of the cheese product (if it has one) to get an idea of fat content and calories. For me, that's enough to want to go without.
    Try incorporating recipes that do not require cheese. And if you don't have cheese at home, you'll probably be less inclined to eat it.
    All the best,

Ben
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

If part of your motivation for being vegetarian is animal welfare, then you may wish to review your consumption of diary including non-animal-based-rennet cheese. There is a dark side to the diary industry that involves the disposal of the unwanted by-product of male calves, that, in this country, get sent to the slaughterhouse to be processed as veal. And I imagine its the same in the US and other western countries.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I will not give up cheese. It's the #1 thing that will prevent me from being vegan.

Fortunately, mozzarella is probably my favorite type of cheese, & it's one of the lowest in fat & cals.

If you switch a little bit to the type of cheese you eat & the quantity in moderation, it's not so bad. I usually just buy lots of mozzarella to cook with, & 1 or 2 types of fancy gourmet cheeses to much on here & there some nights. If you buy quality cheese you'll find you consume less amounts & are satisfied more.

I try to keep my cheese intake to under 3oz a day. There have been times in my past that I went through a whole pound. That's when I'd try to not eat cheese at all, & then after a couple of weeks I'd break & go on a binge. Learned not to do that anymore.
  • snowshoermom
    snowshoermom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm cheese.. tastes so good..... i usually stick to my 30 grams every other day and also feta cheese has less calories... i wouldnt cut it all out because then you will just go on a binge... a cheese binge.. lol
  • TodayYesterday
    TodayYesterday Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love cheese too! Since counting calories I've only been eating feta (1 ounce) or grated parmesan (1-2 TB). I do full fat feta. Just tastes better to me.

Parmesan for omlets.
    Feta for omlets or salads or with 3 olives.
    Too scared to check the calories of other kinds.
    Cheese & crackers - let's not even go there.
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Alicia, and I'm a Cheese-o-holic.

It's been approximately 29 years since I was cheese-free... and the exact year depends on how early my mom started me on solid food as a baby.

I will never live without cheese. I would be so sad.

^this - except insert my name and the number 46 in place of the 29!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I can't be trusted with cheese, I'll knock of a 12 pack of string cheese in a couple of hours. Cheese is one of my favourite foods ever!!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Brie...goat cheese...Manchego...cheddar...Jarlesburg....Bleu....any cheese...and wine....my 2 big downfalls. I've found some lowfat versions, but mostly I just find a way to work it in (lowfat or not).
  • LPDLPD
    LPDLPD Posts: 25
    Options
    I am so addicted to cheese that I sit down with a brick of cheddar cheese and slice off pieces and eat them while I watch TV. I did not think this was a problem until I realized how many calories are in just 1 oz. YIKES!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Well I thought the morning breakfast muffin at Subway on light whole wheat bread tasted good with the egg whites and cheese. then I realized it was over my calorie allowance for my "1st breakfast" so I brainstormed and tried the following which tastes great to me. I have them put 3 sliced tomatoes and plenty of salt and pepper (no oil) before toasting...it keep the sandwich from being dry and the saltiness is what I figured the cheese was providing. Just an idea....not saying it's gonna taste or feel exactly like cheese but it will be saltier and less dry and less boring than plain. I actually like it better.
  • Ashiieepuff
    Options
    I'm weirdly addicted to goat cheese. ****s delicious.
  • brittany_1202
    Options
    I love cheese! The tilamook pepper-jack cheese is my favorite <3
  • lovelymrsbasham
    Options
    I LOVE CHEESE OMG :D
    of course it's the only dairy product other than skim milk that i'm not allergic to.
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    ChiNESE maybe!
    Not cheese though...
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    So this might take some getting used to...but can you use other kinds of fat to flavor food? Like petso on pasta instead of grated cheese? And sliced avocado in salads in place of cheese? Hummus as a sandwich spread? Might give you some of the richness and flavor you crave without the problems you are describing.

Second this and also cheese made from tapioca, common brand is "daiya" but also now sold at Tjoe's as vegan cheese. Melts great. Looks weird when it melts, but is very gooey. Also love goat crumbles. no cow whey, lots of flavor in small amounts.