Not Loosing weight...but see difference

Options
I am going on my scale every week but I don't see a difference. It will stay in the 250s range.

I know that I am loosing inches because I can feel it in my shirt and pants.

I eat around 1600-2000 a day... I exercise between 3-4 hours a day which is roughly 1000 calories per hour.

Can anyone suggest something to get me to start dropping lbs along with the inches.

Replies

• sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Burning 1000 calories per hour??? That seems rather high and if it is correct then you aren't eating enough to refuel your body.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    try weights or stretchy bands?.......or totally FLIP your eatting...ie,dinner for breakfast etc...see what happens!
    I also agree w/ the lady above me!...keep at it!!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Possibly water retention caused by excess sodium. That tends to be my issue.

Also, you might be netting too few calories. If you're eating 2000 calories but burning off 1000, that's only net 1000 for the day which is not enough to support your body. Eventually that will slow your metabolism down, which will cause the pounds to stick. There's a lot deeper science than that, but that's the best way I can think of to sum it up. There's a thread here called "in place of a road map" that explains it 1,000x better than I can.

Good luck!
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    id slow up on exercise, or eat more
  • sudowpa2
    Options
    Oh it is correct... I am using a F4 Heart Rate monitor.

When I do 65 Min, I will stop, copy down the calories burn into a book and/or MFP.

The last two days are very accurate calorie loss. I was using the HRM on both days if you want to take a look.
  • sudowpa2
    Options
    This was for today:

Elliptical Trainer 65 1128
    Elliptical Trainer 65 1075
    Stair-treadmill ergometer, general 65 1065
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    So if you burn 1000+ calories per workout, then are eating 1600-2000 calories, you're only allowing your body 600-1000 calories to take care of business.

Eat back the exercise calories.
  • sudowpa2
    Options
    Let's say for instance that your suppose to eat 1500 according to MFP. That is if you do not exercise.

What if you burn 1000 from exercise. How much do you guys usually eat back your exercise calories and still loose weight.
  • sudowpa2
    Options
    Do I have to eat all of them back or can I eat maybe 70-80 percent back and still accomplish the weight loss.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    So if you burn 1000+ calories per workout, then are eating 1600-2000 calories, you're only allowing your body 600-1000 calories to take care of business.

Eat back the exercise calories.
    Let's say for instance that your suppose to eat 1500 according to MFP. That is if you do not exercise.

What if you burn 1000 from exercise. How much do you guys usually eat back your exercise calories and still loose weight.
    ahem...

if you're at 250lbs, you're burning that many calories during your workouts, you can afford to eat back your exercise calories. MFP is designed with a calorie deficit already in play. You're not really doing yourself any good by not getting enough.
  • sudowpa2
    Options
    I know that this question has been asked many many times but I rather just get it straight and now...

What is the point to exercise if I have to eat back all my exercise calories to maintain the functions of my body?

I go to the gym to burn the fat I already have attached to my body.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I know that this question has been asked many many times but I rather just get it straight and now...

What is the point to exercise if I have to eat back all my exercise calories to maintain the functions of my body?

BMR = what you need to exist day to day. If you were in a coma, in the hospital, the dr's would pump that much into you to keep your kidney/liver/heart/brain functioning.

If you're eating below that level (which is a rough estimate provided by MFP) then you're going to eventually run out of gas. Folks get in the mentality that you simply eat less to lose, and that does not have to be the case. Yes, you're going to the gym to burn the fat that is attached to your body, but your body still requires that fuel (calories) to run efficiently.

the number that MFP gives you is with a calorie deficit (what you need to achieve/adhere to to lose weight). Eating less than that will eventually stall your loss or stop it completely. Why let your engine run on 88 octane fumes when you could have a full tank of 93?
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options

The cardiovascular benefits. Exercise makes your heart stronger and increases energy.

It's easy to think that bigger deficit = more/faster loss, but your body has one goal: survival. It's not about getting the biggest deficit; it's about finding a balance between losing existing fat and giving your body the fuel it needs.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am going on my scale every week but I don't see a difference. It will stay in the 250s range.

I eat around 1600-2000 a day... I exercise between 3-4 hours a day which is roughly 1000 calories per hour.

Can anyone suggest something to get me to start dropping lbs along with the inches.

Small problem, you typed 1000 calories per HOUR vs. per WORKOUT! Eat when you're hungry.
  • MeanLiftsSpy
    MeanLiftsSpy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to. (min. weight requirements for enrolment / medical etc?

At this stage you're experience what is called bounce back. Your body composition is changing. The muscle that is building under the fat is heavier and denser than the fat you are burning. So you're not experiencing weight loss but fat loss.

If you're a beginner your cals are too low. You've gone too hard too fast. 3-4hrs at 1000cals ph is excessive & too hard/taxing on your body. You will not keep this up for 3-4months. This is when your hear of burnouts, exhaustion, injury & even passing out or fainting.

Sure, you can do, you can do whatever you want to do. And people do! People shovel all kinds of stuff into their mouths without knowing one bit about what that stuff on the label means.

A rare bean can manage to pull 16 weeks of 3-4hrs of 1000cal burning exercise without injury. Visible or otherwise. A rare bean indeed.

Anyway, to answer your question for Weight only sakes,
    You could drop 3 or 4 lbs of glycogen & water in a day or two if you stop eating carbs & cut out salt. You need both to perform your exercise though.
    Similarly you could eat a light watery tomato based vegetable soup for 4 day to 14 days and experience rapid water loss in the first 4 days to a week. Water is weight. So you could lose a few pounds of water AND fat at the same time.
    Your body composition will suffer though. Since you need muscle to perform work which is why your not seeing a change in weight but pant size.

If you cut your cals more you will go into starvation mode and find it very hard to lose fat. But you will lose muscle as a result of those 3-4hr exercise sessions. Making you Lighter on the scale.
    'Plus' side is if you binge or cheat out on your diet you will probably store more fat as a result and also add to the number of fat cells your body has. Making it hard to lose fat in the future and easier to put fat on.
    Your pig out is likely to be poor quality foods & not all natural so the toxins & chemicals will be stored in your fat waiting for when you get back to try and lose that fat again. Blek!

You could try green tea. I can stomach 8 cups per day, just, if i have to, and it will keep you very alert. Alert enough to get through your cal deprived sessions.

You could also flip your diet & routine after 3 weeks / stalled Weight loss by moving from a vegetable fats diet to a meat fats diet or just not consuming all food groups in one meal. Just try eating cabs with vegetables, vegetables with meats, meats with fats, diary with fruits, fruits with vegetables etc. Lumping all these groups in together is less effective than eating from two groups alone.

Then you could try using carb cycling. Eat your carbs 90mins before you exercise. You'll finish them up by 55minutes and the rest is just burning your fat. You then either don't eat carbs if you're not currently eating carbs or you eat a few carbs. Enough to keep your body going.
    You eat moderate cals today, tomorrow a little more, then next day much more, then much much less, then a little more, a moderate amount, less again. This way your body isn't getting the same cals every day, And isn't going into starvation mode on the day you eat more.
    Some eat a small bowl of vanilla icecream for dessert once a week. Say sunday night. Then get back on the train Monday. This helps prevent a binge day or two or week. It's one meal. Restores some much needed sugars etc.
    Others will have two meals like this one after the other. Some still will have a whole day, or two even. Depends on their work load and goals.
    I found eating 1 scoop of vanilla icecream too hard. Id just go get another. and another. and another. Id eat the whole dam thing and not buy any for 6mths. But I manage with half a light single portion baked apple pie & 1 scoop icecream. But then im as intense as anybody, bent to over train, i don't experience lactic acid build up pukes, & can eat, sleep, train 15mins - 40mins - 1-2-3-4hours, more, all-day and without negative effects. Finishing your mixed multi session wo's such as light cardio, cardio, hi intensity, cross training, sports, walks, weights, with ice-cold water sessions, stretching, and yoga will improve your recoveries out of sight if you're not already doing it.

More,
    the products that pharmaceutical companies are selling that contain banned substances are basically foods you can eat at 3 intervals throughout your day. say before breakfast, before lunch, and before afternoon lull. they are,

1 shot of espresso
    1/3 small square piece of dark 85%+ cocoa chocolate
    1/4 green apple
    2cups of green tea

apart from banned substances these all contain the main active ingredient in weight loss products.
    i do it. it feels pretty good to enjoy this 3 times a day. i don't have mid afternoon lulls. im not tired in the morning or midday. i have energy to burn. and i get a kick out of enjoying things that others feel are shameful or wrong of them to eat because they are counting their calories.
    best of all i don't crave chocolate ever.

you're drinking lots of water of course. when your hungry to suppress your appetite and to replenish your fluids. you'll need lots of electrolytes. water is great but you need more than tap water. you need electrolytes. and if you don't know exactly what they are and where to get them find out now. calcium, magnesium and potassium SALT. if you cut your salt you'll need to add it to your water.

ONEADAY vitamin is basically an electrolyte pill with not much Pot, Mag120mg 30pc, 210Cal 21pc RDI's
    Coconut water 569mg pot 16pc 60cal good sugars
    Banana 500mg pot 10pc
    AB Calm 200mg Cal 35mg Mag anti cramping
    Gatorade 120mg pot

I mix a little salt, say 1/4tsp into my water, with 1tsp sugar which is the formula for lucozade. you could try .5c of orange/lemon juice. if you get tight or cramped muscles you need some electrolytes. most football codes will promote how to make your own sports drink and the coach carries Potassium pills for you.

If your diet is healthy you may already have all the electrolytes your require in your 1600cals. eg, i have 5,150Potassium in my 1600cals. Recommended daily intake is 3500/4700 depending on your reference.

There's a more drastic way to lose weight and that's with meal replacement drinks. You could skip the meal, take 2-3 capsules of selenium husk with a chocolate whey shake in tap water. You'll get 26-60g Protein from the whey and that's pretty much about it.
    Or even skip the Whey and just drink a nosugar flavoured powder in tap water,

eg, A Chemist Diet. You pop a pill, drink a shake, and eat a bar of oats. Basically restricting calories.

Doing long marathon hours of anaerobic work like long distance running will break down your fat & muscle tissues leaving you Lighter.

Of course, all this could give you a really really bad disfunctional metabolic system that you never fully recover from.
    Or even death.

• lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    How long have you've been working out and losing weight?
    If you are new to this, it will take a while before you'll begin to see weight loss. It took me 3 months to start seeing the weight go down on the scale.
    How do you find time to work out that much each day? I'd also speak to my health care professional there could be other factors that are preventing you to lose weight. Print out your food and exercise journals and take to the doctor's with you.
    Never give up!
  • MeanLiftsSpy
    MeanLiftsSpy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Needs be careful of Bradycardia (enlarging of the heart muscle) with long exercise session the muscle becomes so big it's pushing against the chest. A lower than normal waking resting exercise hrt is a typical sign of an enlarged heart.

The cardiovascular benefits. Exercise makes your heart stronger and increases energy.

It's easy to think that bigger deficit = more/faster loss, but your body has one goal: survival. It's not about getting the biggest deficit; it's about finding a balance between losing existing fat and giving your body the fuel it needs.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    you exercise 3-4 hours a day and burn 1000 calories per hour? Um.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Well..... I wouldn't want to give a suggestion or advice without knowing a little bit more about your situation.

But... How long have you been at this new diet & exercise thing? It makes a big difference if you've been at it a few months & haven't seen a difference, or just a few weeks.
    If it's only been a few weeks, this is completely normal. It took me almost 2&1/2 weeks before I lost my first pound, but there was already a big difference in my tummy.
    Try & be patient & keep at the good stuff. :)
  • ximills
    ximills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    you exercise 3-4 hours a day and burn 1000 calories per hour? Um.
    yeah, something seems off with that number