Did you throw or give away your old clothes?

Options
I am wondering if you did? I lost almost 40 pounds but I can't seem to want to let go of my clothes that doesn't fit anymore, in case I go back to that weight... What do you think?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I'm still wearing the same clothes lol. I just wear a belt. I was probably pushing it by wearing a size 6 when I was fat but now they're probably at least two sizes too big considering I lost over 30lbs. I just really hate shopping. My jeans bunch up in certain places but I don't really care.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I got rid of them - no temptation to backslide...
  • juliawinslow
    Options
    I took mine to a consignment store... made it much easier! That way you get money back to go buy new clothes that fit :)
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I for one will ditch them in a heartbeat. Actually my one pair of jeans is now too big and they're going bye-bye tomorrow when I get a pair that fits. I don't ever want to see those clothes again, much less wear them! Mine will also go to consignment store.

Great weight loss so far MarieEve!!!!
  • jeanmoreno
    jeanmoreno Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    charity shop! ;-)
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    charity shop with the hopeless ones; and modify the rest
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I get rid as I'm so not going back!!! Things that have cost a lot and are still in good condition I've put on Ebay. Made me some money to buy new stuff. X
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I plan to take mine to a consignment shop. That way I can make a little $!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    DONATE!!!! More incentive to stay at goal, if you have nothing to fall back on!
  • ajswriter
    ajswriter Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I donate to Planet Aid or the USPS bins. I keep stuff that's 1 size too big but no larger than that for the backsliding issue that someone mentioned. If you can't fit into your clothes, it's more motivation to lose! :) You shed the pounds, so shed the clothes, too!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Mine are in a box in the garage. But I'm going to give them away. I will miss those nice linen pants from Nordstrom, but not enough to to back up 4 sizes.
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Donate to Goodwill. Helps out someone in need, and is a tax write off. I would rather these things be put to good use instead of put in a landfill.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Donated all the plus sized stuff. I still have 3 sizes in my closet though I've loaned out some to a friend who is losing weight. I'm getting ready to do another donation run!

I do have some pieces that will go on ebay - a nice business suit and some expensive jeans.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    as for pants, I've only work yoga pants since my weight gain (jeans make me look a lot heavier), so I'll keep those. Tops and sweaters will be reconstructed by me.
  • winterswish
    Options
    Naked Lady Parties!! (ok, that's what we call them here...feel free to call 'em what you will)

Basically, a bunch of really awesome people (aka friends or friends of friends as word spreads) who are within a size or three of each of other who get together with the clothes that no longer fit or they no longer need/want. The clothes can be tossed in big piles, sorted by size, by who brought them, by item type-- whatever suits the group.

Then people just go around trying stuff on and taking home what fits and what they fancy! The only "rules" are that the items you bring are in good condition and that you not walk out with gobs more than you brought in. Most of the time we rock good music, maybe some healthy snacks (yeah...mostly, maybe some wine and beer) and give honest feedback about what that purple striped t-shirt does for someone's new flat stomach.

Leftover items that don't go back to the original owners can then be donated to local charities or saved for the next NLP.
    It saves everyone money, it's a great social gathering and if your group has kiddos in it that can be incorporated, too.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Woman's shelters.

They are always in need of woman's clothing and kids' clothing.

But yes, I plan on donating my items. Don't want the temptation to allow myself to go back up in sizes.....I hate spending $ on clothing.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Donate. I want no excuses to go back to that size.

I'm also shopping in thrift stores (mostly) until I get to goal weight and maintain it. So your donation may become my "new".
  • Joobster
    Joobster Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I donate....
    however when i was at my heaviest i consigned my clothes. I had an executive job....had many end suits and dresses barely worn.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I still wear them. But last night I dreamed I was going through my closet to get rid of them and when my kid came in and asked what I was doing, I told her and said that keeping them was just a safety net that would allow me to get fat again. Maybe my subconscious is telling me its time to let them go. Lol
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have given away LOTS of clothes and just this weekend pulled out another HUGE pile to donate. I have kept a couple of pieces for progress comparisons and put aside a couple of skirts and silk tanks that I *think* might could be modified to still be wearable and look nice 'cause I REALLY like them. However, since I still have at least 25-30 pounds to lose and may decide to adjust my goal downward, it's entirely likely I'll let them go too.

I understand where you're coming from. I had the same thoughts at first. "What if I gain it back? Would hate to be spending money to buy *larger* sizes!" After all, I have before, but then I've never lost this much or at this rate, nor have I ever really believed before that what I was doing was sustainable. This time is different. I have a few items I really like that I've had to let go. I am intimidated by the thought of shopping for a new smaller me. "Where will I shop? What sizes/styles REALLY look good on me? Or even appropriate? Don't want to look like I'm trying to be either my mother or a college girl. Can I spend the money?" But I agree with another poster here. I am making this change to be permanent. I've been successful so far. I know what to do. I won't gain it back unless I let poor habits creep back in, and if the scale or my clothes start to tell me that's happening, it should be the warning kick I need to get back on track. And since I HATE shopping of any sort and clothes shopping in particular, I hope that the extreme negative of actually have to shop for and spend on larger clothes will be a good deterrent.

You'll gain the confidence to believe in your success as you keep moving forward. If it helps, start small. Get rid of too large items that are lower quality, out-of-sytle, or lower cost to replace first. Hang on to only a limited number of pieces of the too large stuff... things that in a severe laundry pinch you could wear if you absolutely had to, belts, pins, tapes, or alteration if required. And as you continue to progress, let go of that crutch and trust yourself to make good choices. Keep a smaller stash of marginal clothing, or only pieces you REALLY like are truly alteration candidates. Someday you'll have an eye-opener moment like I did recently... wait a minute... the ONLY pants I own that will stay up on me are the new scrubs and jeans I bought just a few weeks ago? That will be an affirming moment.

Start to let go... it feels great!