Getting Abs?? Where am I going wrong?

Options

Replies

• Parks0613
    Parks0613 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I went through and looked at your Diary, Did you set your Macros (Fat, Pro, Carbs)? Did you set your cals? Reason I asked is that your consistently not with in +/- 5 of your Macros. That could play a big factor on results. Also are you doing abs daily? Friend me and I can help you!

I don't watch my macros much. I put the emphasis on eating fresh foods and stopped worrying about the rest. I do not do abs daily but usually about 3 or 4 times a week.

You should really watch your Macros, You can still emphasize on eating fresh but your consistently high with your sugars extra sugar means extra fat is stored. Try some hanging leg raises and do some toes to bars maybe some mason twists as well. You can work your abs moderately everyday But if your doing it hard Every 2 days.

Thanks for the advice :)

Your welcome also I second the maybe you should put on more muscle. I mean you do look great but maybe that will give you the look you want!
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I went through and looked at your Diary, Did you set your Macros (Fat, Pro, Carbs)? Did you set your cals? Reason I asked is that your consistently not with in +/- 5 of your Macros. That could play a big factor on results. Also are you doing abs daily? Friend me and I can help you!

I don't watch my macros much. I put the emphasis on eating fresh foods and stopped worrying about the rest. I do not do abs daily but usually about 3 or 4 times a week.

You should really watch your Macros, You can still emphasize on eating fresh but your consistently high with your sugars extra sugar means extra fat is stored. Try some hanging leg raises and do some toes to bars maybe some mason twists as well. You can work your abs moderately everyday But if your doing it hard Every 2 days.

Thanks for the advice :)

Your welcome also I second the maybe you should put on more muscle. I mean you do look great but maybe that will give you the look you want!

Thank you! I want to look lean but muscular. I don't want to look like a body builder but more muscle is definitely welcome =)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    OP you are looking great - also - a lot of the fitness models actually go through quite a specific routine a couple of weeks out from competing or photo shoots to actually show all the definition.... in real day to day life they most probably dont have abs that is super defined....

Here is an idea of what they do to prepare. - and get to super low body-fat - and "pumped" muscles

http://fitnessinventor.com/articles/807-hints-and-tips-on-looking-sharp-for-that-crucial-photoshoot-stage-appearance-beach-holiday
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I looked at your pics, and I disagree with pretty much all the other responses here- I think you should concentrate more on lifting and even do a small bulk with a slight caloric surplus. You may even want to do some weighted ab-work (not a million crunches and planks). I almost *never* recommend ab work, but I think in your case you're already lean and may need to develop those muscles to get them to pop.

I agree with Bean.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    OP you are looking great - also - a lot of the fitness models actually go through quite a specific routine a couple of weeks out from competing or photo shoots to actually show all the definition.... in real day to day life they most probably dont have abs that is super defined....

Here is an idea of what they do to prepare. - and get to super low body-fat - and "pumped" muscles

http://fitnessinventor.com/articles/807-hints-and-tips-on-looking-sharp-for-that-crucial-photoshoot-stage-appearance-beach-holiday

Thank for the link. I will check it out. Maybe it's just not realistic for me on a day to day basis.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I looked at your pics, and I disagree with pretty much all the other responses here- I think you should concentrate more on lifting and even do a small bulk with a slight caloric surplus. You may even want to do some weighted ab-work (not a million crunches and planks). I almost *never* recommend ab work, but I think in your case you're already lean and may need to develop those muscles to get them to pop.

I agree with Bean as well. Definitely the most sensible, relevant and well thought-out advice given in the entire thread.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

You cant' determine body fat level just by looking at a pic.

Thanks for your input.
  • Parks0613
    Parks0613 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ...but your consistently high with your sugars extra sugar means extra fat is stored...
    No.

If you're consistently high with your calories (as in a caloric surplus), fat is stored. If you're in a caloric deficit, your body doesn't store fat. Calories in < Calories out has nothing whatsoever to do with sugar intake unless you're creating a surplus.

"unless your creating a surplus" that was my point, at the end of the week she has created a surplus of high sugar intake which will in turn become fat. Maybe you should reread what you type to be sure you make since.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Too speed up fat loss, I would look into pushing your carbohydrate intake until the evening and see if that helps. If you don't spike insulin during the day, you will keep coristol up which will help eat away the fat. Just make sure you are eating enough protein to maintain your muscle. I wouljd suggest also upping your fat during the day while you reduce the carbs (ie have a handful of almonds instead of your banana for a snack).

Here is a study --> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2231819/Why-eat-carbs-EVENING-day-lose-weight.html#axzz2JrFpHVpB

Another option is the cyclic Ketogenic diet. I am on it and I am dropping fat like crazy. With one cheat meal a week. I dropped 3% bodyfat in less than a month.

Just an option :).

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got."

Increased cortisol causes fat storage not "burn"
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Thank you. This seems more realistic to me. The "drop weight/body fat" argument seems to apply on to a select few and not me. How much more body fat can a 5'7" female drop when she weighs 110 (I did a few years ago and I didn't have abs!)? Thanks for the advice!

And before I get attacked...I didn't weight 110 on purpose. I weigh in at a nice healthy 130 now.

So if you add muscle mass... your body fat will stay the same or increase. When you cut for your abs what will happen? You will reduce body fat.

The issue with people who are anorexic is they don't have much muscle mass, I honestly don't think their bodyfat is that low. For example, Imagine someone who's really muscular and lean and you pinch whatever skin you can, you can't pinch much(not much fat). Do the same to someone who is anorexic, there is a large chunk you can hold on to. They're always pinching themselves and say "see, i am fat."

Well, something to keep in mind about women is that they sometimes have children. I have had two children. When I am standing there is not much skin to be able to grab at (it just slips out of my fingers and bounces back to my body). In some positions I can grab at some skin. I asked a personal trainer at the gym and she explained that it's normal after having children and that it's not fat. She said that I do not have much at all and that she has much more to grab than I do and she competes in figure competitions. She showed me her own, so I could see. Women tend to be overly critical of themselves.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options

You cant' determine body fat level just by looking at a pic.

I agree but as I've stated, it's pretty low. You can pinch a little skin but I'm pretty solid and my abs are like rocks...just smooth rocks instead of what I want :ohwell: :frown:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    low carbs do not equal abs.

Reduced bodyfat = abs.

OP are you losing weight? If you're not that's what you need to do.

Correct. I eat fairly high carb but my body fat is fairly low and I have nicely defined abs (not a six-pack, I'm not hardcore like that). :drinker:
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options

Thank you. This seems more realistic to me. The "drop weight/body fat" argument seems to apply on to a select few and not me. How much more body fat can a 5'7" female drop when she weighs 110 (I did a few years ago and I didn't have abs!)? Thanks for the advice!

And before I get attacked...I didn't weight 110 on purpose. I weigh in at a nice healthy 130 now.

So if you add muscle mass... your body fat will stay the same or increase. When you cut for your abs what will happen? You will reduce body fat.

The issue with people who are anorexic is they don't have much muscle mass, I honestly don't think their bodyfat is that low. For example, Imagine someone who's really muscular and lean and you pinch whatever skin you can, you can't pinch much(not much fat). Do the same to someone who is anorexic, there is a large chunk you can hold on to. They're always pinching themselves and say "see, i am fat."

Well, something to keep in mind about women is that they sometimes have children. I have had two children. When I am standing there is not much skin to be able to grab at (it just slips out of my fingers and bounces back to my body). In some positions I can grab at some skin. I asked a personal trainer at the gym and she explained that it's normal after having children and that it's not fat. She said that I do not have much at all and that she has much more to grab than I do and she competes in figure competitions. She showed me her own, so I could see. Women tend to be overly critical of themselves.

Just to assure everyone just in case, I'm not critical of myself. I'm just reaching for a goal. I won't cry if I don't reach it =).
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options

I see what you're saying. I just don't have much body fat as it is. I wouldn't know where to guess myself but you really can't pinch much more than skin on me. I know I have some body fat but I can't see it being enough to hide my abs. I can rub my ab area and I don't feel any bulges. I wonder if I'm just lacking muscle there? Although my abs are hard as a rock.

You need to know your body fat to make a proper assessment. Do you have too much fat, or not enough muscle? This can be determined by your bodyfat %.

If you're at a low bodyfat % and still have no abs then it's a muscular issue. If you have normal bodyfat % and no abs then it's a fat related issue.

Figure out your bodyfat % before you make changes.

Thank you. I need to figure out what it is.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    And for what it's worth, I would take your abs any day:wink:

I'm 5'7" 122# and don't have near the tautness that you do.

Maybe I should consider some of this "advice"
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Abs are like any other muscle in terms of training; you can't 'show' what isn't there. You said you lift weights 2 x per week... do you do weighted ab exercises? You can get very lean and down to a very low body fat percentage but if you don't have the actual muscles built up underneath the small layer of fat you have, there is nothing there to show anyway.

Without building your abdominal muscles the best you can hope for is a firm, flat stomach. That's certainly nothing to shake a stick at, but if you want no-kidding ABS you have to build them AND keep your body fat low enough for them to show.
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options

Another vote for this. If you can't feel the bumpy muscles trying to lose more fat is not going to help. A small bulk might earn you some extra fat but you can lose that later, concentrate on the heavy ab work.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...but your consistently high with your sugars extra sugar means extra fat is stored...
    No.

If you're consistently high with your calories (as in a caloric surplus), fat is stored. If you're in a caloric deficit, your body doesn't store fat. Calories in < Calories out has nothing whatsoever to do with sugar intake unless you're creating a surplus.
    "unless your creating a surplus" that was my point, at the end of the week she has created a surplus of high sugar intake which will in turn become fat. Maybe you should reread what you type to be sure you make since.
    ...or maybe you should be more specific in what you're saying so it's not so easily misconstrued as bad/incorrect advice, like most of the advice in this thread has been. Just a helpful suggestion for you. My response made "since" (sense) within the context it was posted.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    Abs are like any other muscle in terms of training; you can't 'show' what isn't there. You said you lift weights 2 x per week... do you do weighted ab exercises? You can get very lean and down to a very low body fat percentage but if you don't have the actual muscles built up underneath the small layer of fat you have, there is nothing there to show anyway.

Without building your abdominal muscles the best you can hope for is a firm, flat stomach. That's certainly nothing to shake a stick at, but if you want no-kidding ABS you have to build them AND keep your body fat low enough for them to show.

Yeah, I have a "firm, flat stomach" which I am very happy with but there is no "ripped" look to it at all. When I rub my muscles they are solid and I don't have any squish but no bumps to indicate a 4 pack or 6 pack. I don't usually target my abs but that may be my very problem. I need to build them up. Thank you.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options

Another vote for this. If you can't feel the bumpy muscles trying to lose more fat is not going to help. A small bulk might earn you some extra fat but you can lose that later, concentrate on the heavy ab work.

Thank you. I'm going to start tomorrow =)