Rant space- Picky Eaters

Options
124»

Replies

• funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's picky eaters most of you hate, I think it's just rude, immature, spoiled and self-centered people in general. Because, to me, that's what you're all describing. They're just using being picky as an excuse for acting like jerks. But it's the jerk behavior that bugs, right?
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's picky eaters most of you hate, I think it's just rude, immature, spoiled and self-centered people in general. Because, to me, that's what you're all describing. They're just using being picky as an excuse for acting like jerks. But it's the jerk behavior that bugs, right?

Exactly what I was going to say. There's a big difference between being a picky eater and being an *kitten*. You probably all know lots of picky eaters and just don't realize they're picky eaters because they're not constantly being all pouty about it.

I'm definitely a picky eater, but I pay for almost everything I eat so I don't see why it would bother anyone else. I won't eat anything with peas in it, it's just too much work to eat around them. Same with raisins. I'll only eat cheese if it's on a pizza or if it's melted into a pasta dish enough that you can't really see it. The only meat I'll eat is chicken and processed meat like pepperoni, and with chicken I'll only eat it if there's no bones in it. I don't like potatoes except for scalloped potatoes and my mother's potato salad. I usually avoid dairy, partially because most of it gives me really bad pains in the stomach but also because it all leaves a really bad aftertaste. The only sea food I'll eat is canned tuna, fried clams, fish sticks and sardines in mustard. I'll only eat eggs if they're hardboiled. I can't eat anything spicy, it feels like there are holes burning through my tongue. I don't like most dishes that have a bunch of different stuff all mixed together, like soup, stew or casserole.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I will say I don't care for ketchup much, occasionally on fries - never on meat and I'll cook with mustard, but also never on burgers, dogs or sandwiches.
  • kristina_m92
    kristina_m92 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Only salt and pepper? How...plain :|
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was going to say. There's a big difference between being a picky eater and being an *kitten*. You probably all know lots of picky eaters and just don't realize they're picky eaters because they're not constantly being all pouty about it.

This is a good way of putting it. I have met picky eaters who simply don't fuss and don't pout. Those guys I am cool with.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    To each their own....
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I've tried stuff.. I just don't like allot of stuff..
    I know I'm picky but I'm not so bad as to only eating certain food brands.
    And i mean i don't eat salad, the only thing on a salad bar i eat is crackers, cheese and bacon bits.. And since my grandpa owned a seafood market when i was growing up pretty much rules out me eating seafood too.. And i just don't like streak.and the only vegetables i like is corn,beets and fried okra..

But i do like meat.
    I do like fruit, beans,bread, drinks, rice, potatoes and junk food

..I'm just not a horrible picky eater.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    That's a funny thing to be annoyed about.

I have a friend that won't eat vegetables except corn, tomato ANYTHING, no condiments, no sushi, most pastas and chocolate among other things?
    It's crazy to me. But then again I know what it's like to be disgusted by specific things and you can't help it. When it makes you gag or want to vomit putting it near your mouth there's nothing you can really do about that.

I can't stand milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese, eggs, iceberg lettuce, lima beans, mango (random right??), tofu (unless scrambled, fried, or in miso soup), certain types of crackers, English muffins, meat, blue cheese dressing and noodles that have expanded from water. UGH.

These foods are SO GOOD right??? Well my body hate them unfortunately and I can't get around that. I do however make the most of the situation and enjoy pretty much a vegan diet, love cheese, spices, most vegetables/breads and love all condiments for the most part. I'm not missing out!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    What happens when two picky eaters get together and have a baby....a VERY picky eater is born to drive them both completely nuts bonkers.

That's my house. On a good day. If we have friends and family over we have the pizza and burgers only sis, the carne asada tacos only in laws, the vegetarian cousin and his nearly vegan wife, and the processed foods only "what's that healthy crap?" sister in law...plus the "hold the spices or I'll choke to death" friend, and the other "let's try every country's weirdest food" friend....plus our older vegetarian/carnivore/sushi monger son depending on the week. Then there's hubby who actually HAS to avoid certain foods and me who can be on strike from any food at any time if I watched a youtube about it, thanks to my overactive imagination.

Birthday parties are a nightmare to host.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I've tried stuff.. I just don't like allot of stuff..

Yeah, I think there are a couple different things being grouped into "picky" here.

I'll try anything. (I've lived in East Asia - I've eaten all kinds of weird stuff.)

I'll eat whatever someone buys or makes for me.

But I only _like_ a much more limited number of things. But you'd never know this - because I don't routinely list off things I don't like. (Although, at home I tend to only eat things I like.)

And that you can disguise something, let's say eggplant, sufficiently is more of a testament to your culinary abilities than it is proof that I am being juvenile or ridiculous when I say that I don't like eggplant.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    What happens when two picky eaters get together and have a baby....a VERY picky eater is born to drive them both completely nuts bonkers.

That's my house. On a good day. If we have friends and family over we have the pizza and burgers only sis, the carne asada tacos only in laws, the vegetarian cousin and his nearly vegan wife, and the processed foods only "what's that healthy crap?" sister in law...plus the "hold the spices or I'll choke to death" friend, and the other "let's try every country's weirdest food" friend....plus our older vegetarian/carnivore/sushi monger son depending on the week. Then there's hubby who actually HAS to avoid certain foods and me who can be on strike from any food at any time if I watched a youtube about it, thanks to my overactive imagination.

Birthday parties are a nightmare to host.

Whoa, I don't envy you
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So here's a thought. Is "I don't like XYZ" or "I'm really picky" a self-fulfilling type thing?

For example, maybe you grew up only eating canned peas that your mom would overcook and turn to unseasoned, mushy yuck. "I don't like peas." Okay. Fast forward to being an adult. You're at a dinner party. Someone has prepared fresh steamed peas in a garlic butter sauce. "I don't like peas." You haven't even tried THESE peas. These aren't your mother's peas.

I mean, I don't like my mother's squash. It's gross. I spent years telling myself that I didn't like squash. Then I became an adult and went crazy in the kitchen. My squash is delicious. You can roast just about any vegetable and it'll be amazing with some olive oil and sea salt.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Though I have a wide variety of food I'll eat and try.

I also have a large list of things I will NOT touch. I'm a snob, and I don't care. SOO I try not to judge people and their preferences. Usually I'm the one buying the groceries, or paying for the meals out... so really what are you gonna do ?

Perfect example. We were looking for a pizza place a few nights ago. Told my friend I REFUSED to eat at any place named "joe's pizza and pasta".
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    My husband can be pretty picky... it's been a slow process, but I can at least move him past things like boxed hamburger helper. He is starting to eat more things that are homemade rather than overly processed... it's just a slow slow process...
  • sollesch87
    Options
    My bf is picky - no cheese, tomato, vegies in general. I don't eat brussel sprouts, everything else I will give a try (within reason)
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had typed out a long and thoughtful reply to this, but I realize it'll only bring more hostility against picky eaters, so I've deleted it. I will say one thing though. I recommend trying to help the picky eater, not judge them. Judgement only makes it worse, but if you try to help them find new foods, it'll usually work.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My husband is terrible. The only vegetables he will eat are peas, carrots, and green beans and only cooked to mush. If they are the least bit "hard" he thinks they are raw. He won't eat cheese and most everything he likes is fried. He is slowly trying new things and finding out they aren't so bad but it's still a struggle to stay on track on the days he's cooking.

My youngest sister is another picky eater. She doesn't like meat except for turkey and seems to live on junk food--chips, Cheetos, candy, etc. She's diabetic as well so I'm not sure how she survives.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I had typed out a long and thoughtful reply to this, but I realize it'll only bring more hostility against picky eaters, so I've deleted it. I will say one thing though. I recommend trying to help the picky eater, not judge them. Judgement only makes it worse, but if you try to help them find new foods, it'll usually work.
    Personally I do try. My post here was just to vent.
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you try. It can help a lot if the person is ready. I guess it just hurt a lot to see so many people being so cruel about it all. I understand you're all venting, and I get frustrated with myself so I get it lol. It's just hard being on the other side. But I agree that the picky eaters who are just being stubborn or spoiled can be very frustrating. They give other picky eaters a bad name. Not liking something is one thing, but not even trying it is a bit extreme. I have exceptionally strong taste buds so almost everything tastes bad to me, but I'm still willing to at least attempt new foods. And sometimes it even works. I recently I discovered raw carrots are pretty ok!