I just ate an entire pound of strawberries.

Options

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    You spent $4 on a pound of strawberries? Of course produce is expensive out of season, they have to ship it from timbuktu.
    or California.

i don't know if they're in season in california right now, either.. if they are, it would be under rather unnatural conditions.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    You spent $4 on a pound of strawberries? Of course produce is expensive out of season, they have to ship it from timbuktu.
    or California.

i don't know if they're in season in california right now, either.. if they are, it would be under rather unnatural conditions.

If not in season now, then they will be ripe in a month. We're I lived they grew them year round. 3-4 crops a year. There wear always fresh strawberries at the farmers markets.

I am pining for my California home this weekend.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I wonder how much sugar is in a pound of strawberries...
    ._____.
    Strawberries are actually pretty low sugar for a fruit. A pound is around 20g sugar IIRC.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of healthy, tasty foods that you could have eaten instead of strawberries. Strawberries are not in season now and will be much cheaper in the summer. For now, you may want to stick to apples and oranges for fruit, maybe add a few berries to a fruit salad instead of eating a whole pound by itself. Or get some frozen berries. But in the long run... if that was the best choice today, it was the best choice. Don't sweat it.

Strawberries aren't out of season everywhere - they're in season here in Florida. :)
  • amberlynnsinspired
    amberlynnsinspired Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Wow, lol. A pound?
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    who buys just one item off the dollar menu at McDonalds?

Me! I did last Friday. One fruit and yogurt parfait. $1.11. It was the first time I had tried one, and only 150 calories. I needed a quick pre workout snack and well, seemed like the best cheap choice on the menu.

And it had some strawberries in it ;)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    now, strawberries are supposed to be good for you
    and a pound of strawberries is like, ~150 calories, but that was like $4 for what amounts to a snack@@ A burger off the McDonalds $1 menu is like 400 calories!!

Who knew fruit was so expensive!!

are there any other foods that are healthy but people don't eat more often because of economic concerns?

At least you paid your $4 for actual nourishment. Good for you. :smile:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Lucky for me I live in Nh where we grow a ton of apples so they tend to be cheap but avacodos and mango are things I love but they are pricey.

I know what you mean. With me I live in So Cal where strawberries are in season year round, so super cheap if you buy them locally. Same with avocado and citrus.

Apples... Or at least the kind I like are what is pricey. Honey Crisp are like crack though so when we have then I have so splurge and buy them.

I think buying fruit over fast food is money well spent. Quality over quantity.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    or California.

We have fields and fields of strawberries growing year round in California. They are always in season. Nothing unusual about it at all. :) heck we even have a strawberry festival.
  • tracivee
    tracivee Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm in Indiana and strawberries are about 1.65 a pound right now on sale. I could never pay $4/lb. To answer your initial question, there are a lot of foods I don't eat out of expense, but that doesn't mean you should go eat crap because its cheap. There are a whole lot of cheap healthy foods, too. Eating garbage is just an excuse many people use to justify their situation. Shop around, watch sale papers, and you can find plenty of good options :)
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It's not 'strawberry season' so that could be why they were so expensive. Perhaps hit up your local farmer's market and get stuff in season in your area, will be a lot cheaper (and more nutritious).
  • kevinkalis
    Options
    If you're looking at calories/$, you'd be better off buying a few bottles of cooking oil.

If you compared the weight of the McDonalds burger vs the strawberries, the ratio would be vastly improved.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    Wow. A pound of strawberries for only $4? And there is a McDonald's menu item for $1? Easy to tell that you can't possibly live in Australia...
    Strawberries here: usually $3 per 250g, at more than that, I don't buy them, but many people do.
    McDonald's here: I don't buy there and don't know exactly but don't think you will find any food under $5 there, maybe with the exception of a small fries.
    And .. Our dollar is actually worth slightly more than the US one.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Not an uncommon "snack" for me. Or a pint of blueberries, too. LOL

We are on both a "calorie budget" and a financial budget. When we do our groceries, we spend a whole afternoon, and hit two grocery stores, Costco and the local farmer's market. It is exhausting and we spend about $100/week but we get a ton of food for it (we have drastically minimized our eating out this way, too!). I will often hit the farmer's market first for things like lettuce (who am I kidding, this time of year in Canada, they are shipping it in but it is usually less $$ than other places by at least $0.50 if not a dollar or more), occasionally they will have deals on berries or cauliflower, etc. I tend to do the best when I am eating roughly the same thing every day so sometimes I have to switch it up but between three different chains and a farmer's market, I am usually able to get everything that I normally get for roughly the same money.
  • kayemme
    Options
    Strawberries aren't out of season everywhere - they're in season here in Florida. :)

oh, good point! but they would have probably just come into season... i'm in new england. they're not in season until late april/may thru june
  • kayemme
    Options
    or California.

We have fields and fields of strawberries growing year round in California. They are always in season. Nothing unusual about it at all. :) heck we even have a strawberry festival.

most strawberries aren't year-round perennials, though, so they may actually be growing, but that doesn't mean they're "in season". california is notorious for pushing boundaries. I used to live in monterey... they'd spray so much on those plants in watsonville that we'd all itch and cough from the downwind.

but you could get strawberries almost year round depending on the variety and if you covered them, which is likely how strawberry farms would do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    holy cow...$4 for 1 Lb of strawberries? That seems like a lot...but I guess I do buy that kind of stuff at Costco, so probably a skewed POV. I can get a couple Lbs for $3.50 or so. Also, I don't sit down to an entire Lb of strawberries all at once for my snack...usually have about 100 grams with my greek yogurt for my AM snacks...stretches the berries further and I'm actually satiated from the yogurt.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    you can always start growing your own this year and freeze them...thats what I do...so I have fresh in season and frozen out of season

ahh good idea. do you grow from seed or do you buy baby strawberry plants? When I lived in Cali I tried growing strawberries but never got good yield D:

I don't grow strawberries but I have a blueberry bush. I yield about 3 gallons of blueberries a season. Freeze what I don't eat or make sugar free jam. :-).
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My tongue gets so sore from a pound of strawberries, which is easy to do in season since I grow them.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Now if I can find almond butter for less than $9.

Just make your own. Unsalted roasted almonds + food processor = almond butter.