One day detox?

Options
13»

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about gaining 3.5 lbs in a week. I just gained 2.5 lbs during the time the Superbowl was on. :bigsmile:

If you do want to do a day cleanse/ detox, liquid days are usually the best (not talking about soda of course.) Water, fresh squeezed juices, unsweetened tea, natural lemonade/ lemon water - those are the best! (Good if you want to stop a cold too.)

What would drinking liquids for a day do?
    She was asking about doing a detox. Liquid detoxes are usually pretty good. Flush stuff out but still get nutrients as opposed to just drinking water.

What nutrients?
    If you drink orange juice you have Vitamin C.
    Green tea has antioxidants.
    Juice some veggies & get fiber.

Since you have over 7,000 posts I'm sure you picked up a couple of wrinkles in your brain in the hours upon hours you've been on this board to understand that fruit has those things in Flinstone's Chewables called "vitamins." If after 7,000+ posts you don't know what vitamins are, you could always ask Google. He's usually around to answer things like that.
    LOL. Oh no you did-int!!
    Sara was prompting you to think critically about what you were saying. Liquid fasting for 24 hrs is pointless, detoxing is meaningless, there are no toxins that flush out by doing it, and by juicing food rather than eating it all you're doing is mechanically predigesting food, a job your body is perfectly capable of doing, and you're increasing the glycemic load of the fruits you're juicing, which can result in blood sugar issues if you have issues with that. Good one though about the brain wrinkles and flinstones vitamins.

the remark about brain wrinkles is actually a compliment.

it turns out, more wrinkles (or folds) increases the surface area of the brain and it seems to correlate to better problem solving abilities and a higher IQ... in essence, more overall "processing power" in the brain because more surface area for neurons to make connections.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/11/why-einstein-was-a-genius.html

:drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If someone genuinely wants me to explain more, that's fine. Although I don't like to assume, I would have to guess that a person with 7,000 posts on a fitness board would know that there are nutrients in juice, and trolling on message boards got old for me like 11 years ago.

There are many different perceptions on cleanses/ detoxes/ what people should or shouldn't eat or what method of dieting is better than another. I'm not one to judge. If someone on here happens to ask for something - be it fasting or a 1 day detox like this, I can give suggestions or opinions. They're not necessarily endorsements. If someone was asking to do something that I personally felt was dangerous or possibly detrimental to them, I wouldn't suggest them doing that.

Otherwise, game on.

I asked what nutrients someone was going to get from your :"Water, fresh squeezed juices, unsweetened tea, natural lemonade/ lemon water"

Seems like a simple non-inflammatory and completely non-trolling question and completely not deserving of personal attacks.

Being accused of being a troll when disagreeing or simply asking a question gets very old.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

brain wrinkles is actually a compliment.

it turns out, more wrinkles (or folds) increases the surface area of the brain and it seems to correlate to better problem solving abilities and a higher IQ... in essence, more overall "processing power" in the brain because more surface area for neurons to make connections.

WINNING. lol :laugh:
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    We all have our opinions, which are only that - opinions. If people are very sure that their opinions are correct, so much so that they are doggedly arguing another person down about them, I would really appreciate a link to some good, scientific research to back up the facts. Otherwise there is no use in these conversations.

Here's my research:

Routine Periodic Fasting Is Good for Your Health, and Your Heart, Study Suggests.....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110403090259.htm
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

brain wrinkles is actually a compliment.

Lolz and :flowerforyou:
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

I second this. Whenever I feel like I've gotten really off track, it helps me to do a 24 hour fast to remind myself what real hunger feels like (as opposed to boredom hunger or I really want to eat everything around me hunger) and to focus on my goals etc...

So..... punish your body by starving it for 24 hours because of a bad meal? That doesn't help your body.

There are just as many studies touting the health benefits of intermittent fasting and especially a single 24 hour fast as there are supporting anything else. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for the other. I was offering my opinion as something that has worked for me and can be considered by the OP. Different strokes for different folks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    We all have our opinions, which are only that - opinions. If people are very sure that their opinions are correct, so much so that they are doggedly arguing another person down about them, I would really appreciate a link to some good, scientific research to back up the facts. Otherwise there is no use in these conversations.

Here's my research:

Routine Periodic Fasting Is Good for Your Health, and Your Heart, Study Suggests.....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110403090259.htm

I have absolutely no issue with 'informed' IF at all - I practice an informal version of leangains style IF myself for ease of adherence and lifestyle preferences. I am not convinced of the health benefits as the studies I have seen are also under a calorie restrictions and/or are just not long enough - it does warrant further study though as there is some indications it might be beneficial. To be clear, again, I have no issue with intermittent fasting, other than it can be more hormonal disruptive to women - and all the benefits need to be looked at in balance with all the possible negative side effects, if any.

The issue I see here is that all the OP did was eat some fast food and has some sodium bloat. But, she stayed within. or near her allotted calories from the looks of her diary and the OP was about a detox. It seems as though there are a lot of suggestions that are just not on point for this particular post such as fasts and detoxes.

Edited for typo
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Its called a 20hour fast.
    Just drink water.
    Stay busy then eat 1000cal dinner and call it a day.
    But you must make sure you are eating about 2k every other day.
    Its amazing how it works!

If you want a daily detox, drink 1gallon of water a day and eat just below TDEE.
    Youll lose fat!

i do something similar to the above after a big calorie day. what i do is called a steak day though...i learned this from some other crazy fad diet i did in the past (don't ask) but point is it gets me results.

i basically fast from 10pm (or whenever i decide to stop stuffing my face) until 6pm the next day. i only drink water during the fast. then i break the fast with a huge rib eye steak, green salad and apple for digestion. i usually see a 1-2lb drop the next day.

don't make a habit of it. it's not really meant to be a solution. it's just more of a mindset. most likely it doesn't really achieve anything other than water loss but it keeps me focused and in my mind balances out a big calorie day.
  • ohhman10
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies... I didn't think this was going to start a debate so sorry about that.

My stomach literally just hurt so I felt I needed something to boost.

I will take all your opinions into consideration.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a detox for when you've seen one too many useless detox threads? :sick:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a detox for when you've seen one too many useless detox threads? :sick: