Worst Gym Experience?

Options

Replies

• Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The Fitness Mangers of the Personal Trainers at LA Fitness dilerberatly called me fat just to get me to buy a personal training package... I had already lost 20 lbs without the gym.... since then i never went back to a gym! :grumble: :explode:
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What has been your worst gym experience?
    It involved a pre-workout carne asada burrito and squat day.
    Were you able to go back afterward?
    We were all allowed to return after the hazardous materials team completed the cleanup/decon.

bahaahaahaaa *snort*
  • zepdig
    zepdig Posts: 155
    Options
    i was probably twelve or thirteen at the YMCA, waiting for my family to get out of the lockerroom, and i was approached by this small boy, who appeared to have down syndrome....and he was touching himself, starring at me....worst experience in a gym ever.
  • croz1007
    Options
    Absolutely spot on. Just have to handle business and not cry about it. If they delivered terrible service (and they obviously did) then you go to the management. If the contract is not allowed to be terminated without penalty then I would also involve the local papers to make sure that everyone is informed. I would also hit up a site like theconsumerist.com to make sure that it is well publicised how bad they are to their clients.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    wow. I can't believe all these terrible experiences being shared!!! As a person currently studying to be a personal trainer, I could never fathom treating people in such a manner as you guys have described, These so called "trainers" ought to be ashamed of themselves!!!! The whole point of this profession is to help people become healthy and create positive experiences for them... This kind of crap just makes me so mad!!!
  • julesassid
    Options
    It's so crazy to hear how badly some people are treated at gyms! It's hard enough to find the motivation to show up there, then to be treated so poorly - anyone who's had this happen has my condolences and I hope you find a good gym where people are respectful and helpful.
    I'm very lucky that my gym is so comfortable. I don't think I've ever even noticed a sideways glance. Trainers and classes are very helpful and motivational.
    That being said - I was putting my weights back after a Spin & Lift class on Friday when my shoe got caught in my bootcut style pants. People were in front of me and behind me, there was no where to grab on to - so I had my most embarrassing gym experience of falling on my hands and knees in front of lots of people. I got up so fast and left that I have no idea if anyone laughed or not.
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My gym is in the worst part of town. It's a boxing gym and has holes in the roof and wet patches where it's rained. The treadmill slips when you run on it, not because it's wet but because it's just plain broke. There's also mold on some of the walls.

A lot of criminals train there, I see their police bracelet monitors. There's A LOT of blood dried into the floors. Each time we train, we play 'spot the fresh blood'. Obviously people are heavy handed. Not really a hygienic place lol!

Someone died in the ring a couple of years ago so they lost their license (as well as someone getting shot and killed outside in the street recently). They had to set the gym up to look like it's not open for business (not that difficult lol).

The thing that makes me laugh is the owner rents it out for kid's birthday parties one day a week! WTF is that all about?!
  • TennesseeGirl09
    Options
    One of my coworkers and I belong to the same gym, so one day after work we decided to go work out together. When we walked in, the sales manager (who, btw, has a beer gut...) saw us and said he didn't know we knew each other let alone worked together, because he "didn't know she was that smart." Really? We reported him to the manager and now any time he sees one of us, he puts his head down and runs the other way!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I go to my gym (LA Fitness) just for the classes, which are pretty good. My weight training is at home in the comfort of my basement. From my past experience at gyms, I skip the free weights section at any public gym just to avoid the "I know everything" group.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Oh, he did. On multiple occasions, and my husband saw it. This was after we turned him down for trying to strong arm us into personal training sessions. We told him we were just getting started and wanted to try working out on our own first. He looked at each of our bellies and said, "Obviously, what you're doing isn't working." That was the day we met, and he only got worse. We met another obese couple at the gym who said he'd treated them the same way.

I would honestly talk to management if the STAFF especially is being rude to customers.

Thankfully, most of the people I've run into at the gym have been nothing but supportive and encouraging at the fact that I'm obviously not going to be winning any strong man competitions soon, yet am pushing through and deciding to go to the gym anyways... The only time I've ever been uncomfortable at the gym (because of someone else... not just my own insecurities) was when this crazy annoying guy in the weight room decided to take it upon himself to tell me exactly how everything I was doing was wrong and I needed to be doing it like he was doing it... a WAY nicer gym is now open in my town so no longer at the old gym anyways... but I just switched times I did weights and problem solved... I've NEVER had a staff person be rude to me... Sorry for your experience, I'd probably report him.
  • kf4vkp
    kf4vkp Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I had an appointment with a personal trainer for joining Planet Fitness a while ago, and was not in the best of shape at all. The personal trainer was this @ss of a guy who was showing me how the triceps weight machine worked and cheering me on for doing such a huge weight so well. When I looked in the mirror, he was pushing the machine so I was doing absolutely no work at all, because my triceps were wimpy. I wouldn't go back after that and cancelled my membership the next day (had to make sure I wasn't just over-reacting and truly was upset.)

Now I belong to another gym that has women's only centers. They're great and I wouldn't consider going anywhere else!
    i think you overreacted. he was just trying to build up your self confidence.

I wouldn't have canceled my membership over that, but I wouldn't have used that trainer again either. I don't need self confidence from my trainer, I need a work out. And I get that somethings are better done with help (you generally can't start pull ups on your own if you're too weak) but I would rather a trainer give me less weight than help me with a bigger one.
  • doodlebug7531
    Options
    My best friend and I both joined the same gym but in different cities. So one day we went to work out at a gym that is between our two cities. So we walk in and are changing our shoes and the owner comes up to us asking if we were new with a huge attitude. We told him no, but this was the first time that we have used this particular location. So then he proceeds to tell us since we didn't sign up at this location we really shouldn't be working out here. I told him that as far as I knew with the contract that I signed, I am entitled to go to any facility in any city. Well that shut him up for a minute, then he went on to tell us about "his" facitlity. As he was telling us things he said and you can get on the treadmill and watch Biggest Loser. We both just kinda looked at each other like really?? Between his attitude and that snide comment, we both decided screw this and walked out the door. He came running out after us and said, "Well that was a quick work out ladies". We told him we didn't appreciate his negative attitude from the moment we walked in, including the snide comment about The Biggest Loser. I told him that he has no idea what walking into a new gym for the first time is like for 2 overweight ladies. You have to get the courage up to walk into somewhere new where you don't know anyone, the gym layout is different from your own gym and some of the equipment is different. I told him instead of being a condescending *kitten*, he should have welcomed us with open arms instead of griping about us not signing up in "his" gym. Karma sure is a *****, cause it wasn't a month or so later that "his" gym was closed! We loved it!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    When you decided to join the gym it was with a reasonable expectation of certain standards & conditions. Those expectations included at minimum a supportive & positive environment, not the hostile environment you were daily exposed to; which was being harassed, abused, pressured, degraded, humiliated, & made the butt of jokes.

As a result, it is the gym, not you who voided the contract. You agreed to purchase something you didnt get....a place to freely pursue a wholesome & healthy activity.

Contact corporate and insist that either this employee be replaced immediately or they negate your membership agreement.

Next step would be small claims court or retain a lawyer for the return of all your fees. (cheaper for them then paying a lawyer)
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    I used to have problems at my gym until I started working out with the little old lady that came in the same time I do. Though, most of my problems weren't mean but were "exceptionally nice." I think the best line that ever came out of her mouth was, "Honey, she ain't got time for your abs, but I'll take you home and give you a thorough shine-down."

I think she's in her late 70s, early 80s. Tells the raunchiest stories I've ever heard and is the main reason I will do anything to get into the gym when she's there!
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I used to have problems at my gym until I started working out with the little old lady that came in the same time I do. Though, most of my problems weren't mean but were "exceptionally nice." I think the best line that ever came out of her mouth was, "Honey, she ain't got time for your abs, but I'll take you home and give you a thorough shine-down."

I want a little-old-lady workout partner like this hehe!
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The most disgusting thing I've seen is at 24 Hour Fitness someone threw up in the water fountain. Ewwwww.

Most unhappy with G____'s. They promised towel service--told me I could use as many as I wanted. What they failed to tell me is that they charge an extra $10 per month! I'm locked into a membership with them and can't get out. I have been so unhappy with them that I joined another gym for a fraction of what I'm paying at G____'s. Lesson learned! Ask a lot of questions before signing a gym membership. Also, not everyone is paying the same price per month at G____'s. Mine is on the high-end. Seems like shady business.
  • JumpingJaques
    Options
    High five to you for standing up for your right to expect to be treated with dignity and respect! Especially when you are paying for it. This is the problem with shows such as the Biggest Loser that send a message to personal trainers that its o.k. to become personal abusers. Does that gym not realize that good customer service is what keeps customers coming back????
    That trainer should be fired for harassing the members he was hired to help. Rather than sharing my worst gym experience - I'd like to share that there are alternatives. There are trainers, gyms, and organizations out there that work with people of all body sizes with dignity and respect.. A google search should bring some of them up.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Joined Gold's gym and got sweet talked into the personal trainer. I was just coming off a bad shoulder separation and wanted help or a tailored workout for recovery. $700.
    A month later the personal trainers were gone. I ask the manager and he says the personal trainers were a contract company, signed a bunch of people and then went out of business.....sorry.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    That happened to me in grade school gym class. As if being the fat girl wasn't enough to deal with. Referring to the pants splitting incident.
  • sbdoolin
    sbdoolin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I had a membership at LA Fitness and was interested in getting some help from a pt. She was asking questions and writing answers down on a form and wrote "LAZY??" across the top in big letters, like I couldn't read it upside down. I got up and left.

Those big box gyms often skeeve me out. If you're looking for a low pressure, low cost gym membership, check out your local Jewish Community Center. You don't have to be Jewish to join (I'm not and I've belonged most of my life). It's just a regular gym and they often have a lot of activities and play rooms for kids so you can work out while the kids do their thing.