please help me, IDK which way to go

Options
Im new to posting here, Ive been lurking for a while tho. I thought doing the HCG diet would work for me...while I have lost a little weight since starting it last week..I have been miserable. I have been hungry, irritable, nauseated, severe headaches, no energy, dizziness and my stomach burns constantly because it's empty most of the time (I have ulcers too) 500 calories a day ...I just can not do it!! I want to be healthy, I want to lose weight and IDK how. I want a decent diet and Im willing to exercise..I just dont know where to start exactly. Ive done Atkins and lost 15lbs in 2 weeks, but I dont do well on really low carbs..not at all. I need an eating plan that incorporates grains...I dont mind whole grains..whole wheat bread and brown rice..I dont mind using sugar substitutes. I dont mind low fat. But I CAN NOT handle low carb. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    First lose the "diet" mindset and make it about being a healthy lifestyle. Follow the guidelines that MFP has set up for you. Choose healthy foods, stay with in your calorie goal and exercise, the rest will fall into place. Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What does hte HCG diet entail? Sounds like it's not the one for you.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Check out the Jay Robb Fat Burning Diet. Its a great - healthy, natural eating lifestyle that doesn't cut your carbs. I found it easy because he gives you a menu plan that you can follow. You can find it at jayrobb.com. Or PM me for questions.

PS - the HCG diet usually gives you only 500 calories a day and it tells you that you have to even stop using oils on your skin or your bod will absorb it - now to me that was huge red flag.
  • Melissasue29624
    Options
    alypri, what you said makes complete sense...IDK why it always feels like Im not doing the right thing!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    use MFP!!!!!!!!

Set your goal to lose 1lb per week, eat back your exercise calories, aim to get your 5 portions of fruit & veg a day and keep treats to a minimum! a bit of exercise and LOT of patience!!!!!

like others have said, its a lifestyle change not a diet that you need!
  • Melissasue29624
    Options
    melaniecheeks- you take HCG and eat only 500 calories a day for a month or so.. the HCG comes in different forms, I was using the drops (I went to a dr to get them) that's the simplest explanation lol

jchrisman...Ill go check that out now! TY for the suggestion
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    First lose the "diet" mindset and make it about being a healthy lifestyle. Follow the guidelines that MFP has set up for you. Choose healthy foods, stay with in your calorie goal and exercise, the rest will fall into place. Good luck!

She is exactly right. Please stop dieting. It's really about a complete lifestyle change.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    use MFP!!!!!!!!

Set your goal to lose 1lb per week, eat back your exercise calories, aim to get your 5 portions of fruit & veg a day and keep treats to a minimum! a bit of exercise and LOT of patience!!!!!

This x eleventy billion!
  • Melissasue29624
    Options
    use MFP!!!!!!!!

1lb per week....it seems like so little and I think that's where my downfall is!! I have to learn to be patient!
  • Melissasue29624
    Options
    Thank you all, I think I just need some support and encouragement!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Honestly, eat normally for a week or two, log everything, and see what kinds of changes you need to make based on that. You don't need to make yourself miserable and hungry to lose weight. You DO need to develop good habits, and developing new habits takes time. There is no shame in making this a gradual process.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    use MFP!!!!!!!!

1lb per week....it seems like so little and I think that's where my downfall is!! I have to learn to be patient!

Being patient is key. Even with 20 lbs to lose a goal of 1/2 - 1 lb should be your max.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Im new to posting here, Ive been lurking for a while tho. I thought doing the HCG diet would work for me...while I have lost a little weight since starting it last week..I have been miserable. I have been hungry, irritable, nauseated, severe headaches, no energy, dizziness and my stomach burns constantly because it's empty most of the time (I have ulcers too) 500 calories a day ...I just can not do it!! I want to be healthy, I want to lose weight and IDK how. I want a decent diet and Im willing to exercise..I just dont know where to start exactly. Ive done Atkins and lost 15lbs in 2 weeks, but I dont do well on really low carbs..not at all. I need an eating plan that incorporates grains...I dont mind whole grains..whole wheat bread and brown rice..I dont mind using sugar substitutes. I dont mind low fat. But I CAN NOT handle low carb. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Have you tried just putting your info into MFP, selecting a lb a week, and just following the calorie allowance it gives you?

There is no need to overcomplicate things, no need to try so many fads, just eat less, move a bit more.

You can still eat all the foods you enjoy, just do it in moderation. If you want something in partcular, log it in first thing in the morning and then plan in the rest of your day to ensure you hit your calorie target.

Good Luck!
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

I agree, I have never heard of HCG diet and I bet in 3 years no one will be doing it anymore.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Honestly, eat normally for a week or two, log everything, and see what kinds of changes you need to make based on that. You don't need to make yourself miserable and hungry to lose weight. You DO need to develop good habits, and developing new habits takes time. There is no shame in making this a gradual process.

This. This is an intelligent approach to really changing your lifestyle. Once you look at what you normally eat, it's easier to make changes that you can live with. Maybe you drink more soda than you should; maybe you don't realize just how many calories are actually in the cream and sugar you use in your coffee... a lot of people on here start with really simple changes. Just taking the time to measure things, and being really aware of what you're putting in your body, makes it that much easier to see what you can eliminate. Adding activity just boosts the whole thing too.
  • Melissasue29624
    Options
    Im very mad at myself for even trying this HCG diet! It cost me a lot of money to buy the HCG drops and I dont think Ive ever been so miserable in my life as I have been the last few days!
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Diet is a "four letter word"....this is a lifestyle change. Use MFP...it works. Plus eat filling foods, high in fiber....fruits/vegetables, lean proteins. Once you start making these changes you will find how easy they are. I never thought I would eat as many veggies as I do now...but I love em. I'm also eating more fish and lean meats. Couldn't tell you the last time I had red meat. I feel better and the weight is coming off...slowly...but off!!

Good luck!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Im very mad at myself for even trying this HCG diet! It cost me a lot of money to buy the HCG drops and I dont think Ive ever been so miserable in my life as I have been the last few days!

Don't be mad at yourself..just move forward. Search here for TDEE -20% and figure out the amount of calories you SHOULD be eat to still lose weight in a healthy way. Start resistance training...I recommend the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" great science, diet plan and weight lifting routines...I'm not all the way through the book, but the science is spot on in relation to the science I've learned in my nursing classes.

Be a pro-active, supportive MFP friend. And change the diet mindset and set a goal of a healthy lifestyle for life. Set small manageble goals, they build into big ones...and don't let one misstep alter your course...you'll get there.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the people who said to just enter your food on MFP. Stay at your calorie goal (+/- 50 cals or so) and you'll be fine. It may be slow, but it's better to do it this way than to feel sick and waste money.

You don't need a special diet plan. Just try to make healthy choices as much as possible and eat some treats (as long as they fit into your calorie goal/macros). It's that simple. I promise :)
  • the3erwins
    the3erwins Posts: 37 Member
    Options

This is good advice. I started using MFP a little over a year ago. No gimmick diets like I have tried in times past. I also got a membership at a local Anytime Fitness. Eat healthy, count the calories, watch your sodium and get some exercise. It works.