Burger King admits it sold burgers with horse

Options

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    It grosses me out a little, only cause I think horse meat tastes gross. When there was a bout of mad cow disease going on in the UK, Sweden tried stocking horse meat..and just yuck, its texture was just not right for my tastes, it was more like organ meats.

Better than if it was cat or dog! ewwwww!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    this makes cows happy

• Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Anyhoo back to the original point: horses in the UK have to be declared in or out of the human food chain, some horses are given vaccines and medicines that make them unfit for human consumption. I'm not sure where the burger ponies came from, but I think that that would be a concern for me.

This. I have no problem with horses, or any other animal, used for consumption as long as it was raised specifically for consumption or was properly culled from the wild. The average pet horse is given many vaccines and medicines throughout its life. On top of that, racehorses (who make up a hefty portion of the horses slaughtered each year) are chock full of vaccines, steroids, and other performance enhancing drugs that I would not want to consume.
  • MrAllia
    MrAllia Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    "It's much better to eat lean human", said the Zombie O.O
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Can we get bison in there next? And venison? Delicious!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've heard horse meat is really healthy.
  • jstud76
    jstud76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Other than being a mislabeling issue, which is still a pretty big issue, there is the issue of drug residue in horse meat IF it was not properly traced. There are medications, namely Bute ( I can't recall the long chemical name), which once administered to a horse remain in their system permantly. I believe that it has been proven to lead to cancer in humans, if I remeber correctly. Other than that, if the horses could be traced to not have any prohibited drugs, it would be "safe" to consume. However it is still mislabeled, and in the land of regualtions, that is a BIG deal. Just my two cents, meat is meat, and just because it is not socially acceptable in one place does not make it wrong.
  • sarrora
    sarrora Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    we don't have a burger king in my country XD
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think getting horse meat in my burger is the least of my worries.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I find eating Mechanically Separated Chicken way more disgusting

But I like my MSC (as the cool kids call it) too much to give them up.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used to work at Burger King. Eating horse meat should be the least of your concern when eating at Burger King.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You guys should be happy it was horses and not cow. A lot less saturated fat. Even better if it had some cat or chihuahua in it.
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Its not that it was horses, its that it came from POLAND!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    How about unicorn meat instead?

41K5IsU0nbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I've had horse before. It was delicious. How come we only care about the "pretty" animals?

Everyone gets up in arms about the poor dolphins that get caught in the tuna nets. What about the Tunas?
  • MaryJane_JB
    Options
    I am going to stick to eating c0ck.

tumblr_inline_mgi6m7xYbU1r29lcx.gif
  • MaryJane_JB
    Options
    *whoops double post*
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Isn't it the discovery of MEAT in those burgers that is such a shock?
  • PhoenixFitLife
    PhoenixFitLife Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL???

i'd eat horse meat. it has more protein and it is a leaner meat that beef. we just aren't in the habit of eating it in our society in the US