Gym Etiquette - what bugs you?

Options

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    People who don't wipe down the machines. Ew.
    People who just sit on a machine. Not working out, not logging.....just sitting watching the other people walk by. Get off of there! Others may want that machine, and no one wants to be stared at.
    The guy in the (same nasty dirty day after day) tshirt with the religious message on it. He buttonholes other gym patrons with his beleifs....and prays on the machines. Someday someone is going to deck him. Hope I'm there to see it. There are times and places for everything....and this is not appropriate.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    1) Wipe down those machines - the gym is flooded w/ noobs WHO AREN'T DOING THIS. Gross! There are signs and you can SEE others doing it. Take 5 seconds - JUST DO IT!

2) Stop staring at me while I use the weights - either the machines or IF THERE HEAVEN HELP ME any free space for me to do free weights. Stop it, knock it off, STAPH! I'm not a monster, I don't have 2 heads, I'm a normal person who happens to be female DOING WHAT I WANT at the gym.

3) A personal peeve related to number 2 - why are all the men HOGGING all the free weight &/or related machines? Once... I sat and waited, off to the side, so I could have access to a bench & some weights. I even asked the dude if I could have his bench when done, he said yes. 15 min later he finished, but failed to wipe the bench (at least he put back the weights), so I put down my water bottle, cell (i use it track/record my HRM & mp3) and my rag. Walked across the gym, got some paper to wipe it, turned around and some &^$&$(%^) had moved ALL of my things to the floor and was sitting there doing crunches. I asked him what he was doing and he just stared at me, I pointed to my stuff and he just shrugged, "You where done, right?" and continued.

I'm sorry to pick on guys, but DAMN IT.... :mad: *vent over* grrrrrr....
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    The men who jump on the machine that I just used, before I can wipe my sweat off it. It's their choice, but I think it's gross.

Not my business, but it annoys me.. the women who walk fast on the treadmill while holding onto it for dear life. I fear walking behind them!

Out of a dozen or more weight machines, I'm on machine 11 and someone comes in and jumps on #12 first, out of ALL the machines, and does 10 sets while I wait. Yeah, I know I have to share, but it annoys me. Can't they see I'm right next to it? lol

Body odor. I shower BEFORE I work out so I dont smell like *kitten*. Odor comes from bacteria that is ALREADY there, that then feeds off your sweat. If you shower and use deodorant, you WONT stink. Sweat alone, does not smell!! Yeah it's annoying to shower before I work out, but even I can't stand to smell myself and refuse to make anyone else smell me. Besides, it takes like 30 seconds to soap up and rinse off.

Really old women who follow the instructors around, flirting with them and following them the entire time they are there. I literally have to interrupt 'her' conversation in order to ask him a question. I feel so sorry for the guys. I want to punch the old ladies and say go home and watch the Price is Right if they arent there to work out.

Thank you, I've been going to the gym for a total of 4 days now after a hiatus of 15 years and I feel better after getting this off my flat chest. lol
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    this is right on time, this morning at the gym this lady was doing the circuit training going from machine to machine without cleaning. I just could not hold my tongue, so I said nicely, you know we are suppose to clean after using. she said " why" so I said it helps to prevent germ spreading & moreover, it's just common courtesy. I was talking to a brickwall so I just grab a bottle of spray & took with me to each machine while she watches me. Do you know the worst part this woman is in the medical field, Lord help her patients. :sick:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I feel that everyone's responses here have been justified, but I do have one additional thing...it's only happened to me like twice ever, but it was the most annoying thing...I hate being hit on at the gym.

I dont need some dude, staring at me on the eliptical, then thinking it's ok to stroll up and begin chatting me up while I'm dripping sweat, looking terrible and most important, trying to work out.
    It's distracting, and really disturbing to see them go hit on some other poor girl after I've told them I have a BF...you want to scam on chicks go to bar, dont bug me while I'm working out.

That is all :)

I know a lot of girls can't stand it... but I actually LOVE getting hit on at the gym... It's my most favorite place to be hit on in fact... I guess because if he's STILL interested, when I'm dripping sweat, not wearing any make-up, in sweatpants and a pony tail... then I figure I probably can't scare him off, at least looks wise and it gives me a little more confidence...

Yeah, but if he can move on to the next girl without giving it another thought, how interested could he be in you in the first place?
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

People "running" on the treadmill that jump on the sides every two minutes to get a drink of water, adjust something for a minute, and talk about how they run so much, but just aren't seeing any results.

I think this is unfair to some people. I'm not a runner, but like to be on the treadmill and I'll run at 1 or 2 minute intervals every so often. As soon as I'm done with the run, I get a drink and lower the speed so I can walk. I just can't run for 10 minutes straight, but want to keep my heart rate up.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    WHERE DO YOU PEOPLE LIVE?
    Spitting?????? uggghhhhhhh

At my gym there is;
    -- almost no exposed skin(unfortunately)
    --people barely talk to each other, its scary because sometimes it would be nice to chat.
    --everyone wipes the machines down.

I am not bragging, my gym has flaws, but spitting??????? uggghhhh
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    weight racking fairy
    +1 :laugh:

I really hate that. I'm so glad to have someone else in agreement with me. :flowerforyou:
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i gotta admit, i dont flirt with anyone at the gym, i will say the awkward Hi as we do a quick dance to get past each other but im not about to try to hit on a gal when my shirt is now crystalized salt from sweating.

and if youre wearing yoga pants and are under the age of 30 be prepared to be my motivation for that day
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    my urge to kill is also set to people who leave the bathrooms a mess. a towel on the floor, paper towels that are next to the waste paper basket. water all over the sink. ( i especially hate it when i lean against the sink and then get that water line across my nether region.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    and if youre wearing yoga pants and are under the age of 30 be prepared to be my motivation for that day

lol i hear that. Plenty 30 and above that are going to do it for me in thier yoga pants as well tho
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    LOL all the people worried about sweat???

you need to worry about the keypad you logged in

the drinking fountain

bathroom door

anywhere where people used their hands (any piece of weight and basically every machine/free weight)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

People "running" on the treadmill that jump on the sides every two minutes to get a drink of water, adjust something for a minute, and talk about how they run so much, but just aren't seeing any results.

I think this is unfair to some people. I'm not a runner, but like to be on the treadmill and I'll run at 1 or 2 minute intervals every so often. As soon as I'm done with the run, I get a drink and lower the speed so I can walk. I just can't run for 10 minutes straight, but want to keep my heart rate up.

It's dangerous. That practice can make you pass out. I've done my share of 1st aid at the gym due to this.

Run till you can't, slow it down to walk, then get your drink. It's much safer.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Also... when strangers in the locker room feel the need to talk to me when I'm weighing in... I don't have a scale at home, so pop over to the gym before work on weigh in days, strip down to my undies, weigh in, then get dressed and head to work... and without fail, if there is ANYONE else in the locker room they feel like while I'm standing there in my skivvies weighing in, an already slightly awkward situation, they feel like this is the perfect time to discuss the weather with me... wait until I put my pants back on, and I'll be happy to discuss whatever you like.
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    This thread has just reminded me why I have not been to the gym since November. Nearly every one of my pet hates has been mentioned. I still have 6 months membership left - but I have to say that I really do not enjoy going to the gym. :laugh: for all the reasons mentioned above. I am glad it's not just me!

I will go back - but just to use the treadmills and once I have built up my running times and speeds I'm heading for the great outdoors - until I can afford a home gym.......
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Men wearing too much cologne that are on the treadmill next to me.....not that I don't like a good smelling man but with that smell in my nose I feel like I can't get a good breath in, same goes for people that use cleaning spray to wipe down the machine near me....I try to let it go cause I may be more sensitive to it than others.

Also, I go to the gym from work so I wear make-up because it's already on and I'm going to shower after my work out anyways.

I try to focus on me and not let the bad habits of others ruin my day, but if there is a time limit on cardio equipment you should follow it, you're not more privileged than anyone else at the gym....just saying.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    People who come in late to a group exercise class and crowd the people in the back when there is plenty of room up front. You know the rule, it's the same rule that applied in school: If you want to be in the back of the room, arrive early!

On a related note, there is a woman who comes to my Zumba class, and it doesn't matter what time we get there, she always stands about 18 inches away from me, and every time I have to ask her to please give me a little more space because I am afraid I will knock her in the face with a punch or something.
  • MarianneRDH
    Options
    1) Bad body odour OR over doing it with the cologne/deodorant.
    2) Not wiping down the machines.
    3) People who stare and give condescending looks while you are working out. Focus on your own workout!
    4) Really loud, obnoxious "grunters", talkers, laughers, ETC.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    LOL all the people worried about sweat???

you need to worry about the keypad you logged in

the drinking fountain

bathroom door

anywhere where people used their hands (any piece of weight and basically every machine/free weight)

sweat might even be sterile. Urine is, but most people probably don't want to lay down in either one.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    The tool doing skull crushers and ab work on the only flat bench press in the gym today, when it was obvious i was waiting to use it. Inconsiderate bastage.