Low Calorie Count/ High Volume Foods

Options
I feel like since I'm only allowed to eat 1,500 calories a day, I have to be thrifty with my calories. I'm literally at the beginning of my weight loss journey, only 16 days in, and I find myself constantly going over my calorie count because my meals end up being calorie dense and far between. Also, it's hard to go cold turkey and restrict my portions, I just like the look of a full plate. What are some foods that are low in calories, but you can eat alot of? I know popcorn is a good option and most veggies.

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Stir-frys with lots of veggies and a few ounces of meat really fill me up.
  • bellabeer
    Options
    I like to eat foods that take a LONG time to consume - like raw vegetables! I'll pile a ton of lettuce on a plate and then put whatever is around on top of it. By the time I've worked my way through all that lettuce, I'm pretty sick of eating ;) I pile lettuce on my sandwiches, too. The crunch and water content lets me skip the mayo without noticing it too much.

I eat steel-cut oats almost every morning for breakfast, I only drink water and coffee, I buy carrots in bulk, and I eat every hour or so.

Take a look at your food diary and see what foods are putting you over the top! Healthy fats are important, but they add up quickly.

Also, try a smaller plate ;)
  • waterpanda
    Options
    Strawberries are delicious. You can eat a pound for 135 calories.

Turkey bacon has like 35 calories a slice.

beef jerky is very low calorie (i think like 80 cal an oz), and takes a long time to eat. I think there's usually like 60 in a single serving bag

Pretzels, if you crave carbs, are the best option

EGG WHITES. seriously! buy a carton of egg whites or egg beaters and just make omelettes out of them. There's maybe like ~75 calories in half a cup of egg whites, but it gets you a pretty big omelette if you had vegetables

Greek yogurt! Delicious, low calorie and mostly protein!

If you really just need to put something in your mouth, but rea lly shouldn't be eating, I recommend carrots or radishes. Very, very low in calories, but also delicious (I think) and filling.

General advice: If you eat more protein, you'll feel less hungry throughout the day - that's where the egg whites and greek yogurt come in. When you really want to eat meat/cheese/something else fattening, do so, but choose a lean cut, and stretch it as far as possible with vegetables to fill you up.

More important general advice: None of this advice might work for you the way it works for me. You have to work with your own body and brain to figure out what works for you. Write down everything you eat and remember how you feel, so that you can decide what you need to do in order to eat within your caloric limits and still be happy. More importantly, don't give up! Just keep trying and adjusting and eventually you will find an eating pattern that works for you. Even bad days are useful because they can teach you something about yourself and what triggers you to eat over your daily limit!

*rant over*
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    Any fruit or veggies. Soups, Stews, low fat cottage cheese, egg whites and protein shakes.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Most vegetables are extremely low calorie.

I am in love with CELERYYYYYY!!! I like to eat it with bolthouse farms yogurt ranch dressing. Only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Exercise more, and then you can eat more... :)

Seriously though. Start yourself out at a higher calorie count, like 2000 or so, and drop it by 100 calories for every ten pounds you lose. If you start out at a calorie level that you struggle to maintain, it's a really hard adjustment and you're setting yourself up for a harder struggle than you need to. That, and it doesn't give you anywhere to drop to when you do get down to a lower weight.

Just my $0.02. Good luck :)
  • m000nica
    Options
    You can eat more if you exercise. Being overweight gives us a privilege of burning about 300-400 in an hour while just briskly walking.
  • DebraDawn1987
    Options
    So while I have not had any progress on this diet yet, I was 160 in high school and got down to 110 at the end of college, but for me 120 is a bit healthier, I am 5'7" and very athletic.

My recommendation for what I had to do, when I was trying to still eat alot (and I still do) is with my coffee in the mornings, I add a protein powder with my fat free milk and just use a lot of it (I don't eat breakfast, I drink it). Also with vegetables, I eat alot of salad with alot of "fun" veges and maybe some fruit at times, but instead of dressing, which is horrible, I use other things like salsas, of various types, mustard, and other no fat and low cal condiments, etc... it makes each salad different and keeps it really low cal.

I also eat kale, raw or cooked, like kale chips with a really light spray of pam or other cooking spray on top with like onion and garlic powder (sometimes sliced onions go in the oven with the kale to make onion and kale chips), or chili powder, etc... again depending on mood. Really good snack that is crunchy and almost, almost seems "bad".

I agree with protein increases too, I try to get as much protein in my diet as possible. But I would stay away from nut sources, they are usually so much higher in calories and fat than necessary for the amount of protein you get. My recommendations are things like tuna, shrimp, all fish basically, sliced meat (as odd as that sounds it is a quick, cheap source of protein for the cal and fat content so I cut up sliced meat and add it to my salads or do tuna, etc). I am also a big advocate of protein bars, but not energy bars, those are too sugary, etc... just really good protein bars, but those basically are meal replacements then.

Lastly, drink lots of water and if that is hard, then get tea or propel zero calorie or vitamin water or something, anything to drink more liquids.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I have be come a huge fan of FARINA lately. About a 100 calories. If I add a slice of American Cheese (70 calories) It's all cheesy and yummy, and nutrient dense, but the best part is that it keeps me full for soooooooo long.

Remember it's not just about lo-cal, but about High Nutrition food is fuel for your body, and the better your nutrition the more it reduces your cravings and the easier it is to stay in your calories.

Also SUGAR AND ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS increase your appetite. I knew this from listening to my body even before I had this science explained to me by a nutritionist and a bio-chemist. (but I'm an artist, so don't ask me to explain this to you.)

It's really hard to meet MFP Sugar goals, but still keeping an eye on your sugar/sweeteners should also reduce cravings. (though you sometime have to tough it out for 2-3 week before you can get past the cravings)
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I like to eat so what I do is load up on low cal lots of food items like spinach salad, lettuce salad, almond milk/slim fast and ice and what would normally be 1 serving becomes 3,

Try the cauliflower pizza crust, string cheese and use low calorie bread (i use the 35 Calorie bread), tuna, salmon are excellent sources of protein and very low in cals.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    So while I have not had any progress on this diet yet, I was 160 in high school and got down to 110 at the end of college, but for me 120 is a bit healthier, I am 5'7" and very athletic.
    ..., but instead of dressing, which is horrible....

.... stay away from nut sources, they are usually so much higher in calories and fat than necessary for the amount of protein you get...

You DO need some fats in your diet... A lot of nutrients are fat soluable... so you can eat them all day long, but if you don't have a small amount of fat along with them your body won't be able to access their awesome goodness.

I think nuts are a good source of healthy OMEGA 3s just keep in mind that a serving of nuts is only 1 TABLESPOON.

Watch out for saturated fats, especially if you have heart disease in your family history,
    but Healthy fats are excellent for nerve and brain function, heart health, and avoid diabetes..
    Also little goes a long way... for many folks a small serving of fat is very satisfying... and calms cravings
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I throw spinach into a lot of stuff (smoothies, egg dishes, salads, stir-fries, Italian dishes, etc.) for a fiber and vitamin boost. I also like egg white omelets or hard-boiled egg whites. Most white-colored fish is lo-cal and filling. My new thing is Yoplait Greek 100 yogurt. Strawberries, apples, grapefruit, and blueberries are favorites. Also, I like butternut squash cooked in a foil packet with some butter spray and pumpkin pie spice: very dessert-like. Grilled veggie skewers seasoned with a little olive oil, sea salt, garlic, and pepper are the bomb as well (make sure to include mini sweet peppers).
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i'm with everyone else - veges, veges, veges. veges should be at least half your full plate! plus theyre yummy
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    singlE serving miso soup packets!!!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    oh, also shirataki/miracle noodles. bugger all calories and you can use them to pad out vegies in a stirfry, or as noodles or pasta.
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Eat tons of veggies. Load yr plate up with them. Eat more often, I eat ever two to three hours, usually something small or low cal like an apple or some low fat string cheese, or any other fruit or vegetable I can get my hands on. Most everyone else's suggestions are good. Stop eating out too. That food has little to no nutritional content and will leave you hungrier in the end. Eat whole foods that you prepare yourself. Go for whole grains, those are higher cal but they fill you up better since they are actual food. Drink tons of water, room temp water supposedly stays in your stomach longer and keeps you filling full. Idk if that's true but more water is a good thing.
  • Dianescraps
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions so far!

I will add - use a smaller plate - plate still looks full - it just doesn't hold as much.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions so far!

I will add - use a smaller plate - plate still looks full - it just doesn't hold as much.

My suggestion too.