Skipping meals??

Options
I am noticing that an awful lot of people are skipping meals daily, and some are skipping multiple meals. That doesn't seem like the best way to stay under your calories. I can see skipping a meal if you're busy or plain old not hungry...but on a daily basis? Not super healthy, am I wrong??

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're wrong. Intermittent Fasting is a form of "skipping meals", and it's perfectly healthy.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    The whole concept of skipping a meal eludes me. I never do it. Sometimes I've been known to joke "I want lunch now. I didn't get this fat by skipping meals!" Seriously, skipping meals doesn't work for me. Seems very short-term and bound to fail over the long haul.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    When I'm at work and it's busy I skip lunch but otherwise I try not to. Right now I'm out of protein bars otherwise I'd be consuming those.
  • trishaswiss
    trishaswiss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're wrong. Intermittent Fasting is a form of "skipping meals", and it's perfectly healthy.

First off, let me be clear. I"m not trying to dis anybody. As I said, occasionally skipping meals here and there is one thing...Heck, I usually end up only eating two meals on the weekends. On a daily basis is what I was speaking of. Also I am seeing people that are constantly eating one meal a day. THAT cannot be healthy.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options

First off, let me be clear. I"m not trying to dis anybody. As I said, occasionally skipping meals here and there is one thing...Heck, I usually end up only eating two meals on the weekends. On a daily basis is what I was speaking of. Also I am seeing people that are constantly eating one meal a day. THAT cannot be healthy.

People here are ****s Trisha.
    It isn't healthy. Your body will not burn fat at a consistant rate, and you will not keep your metabolism high. Ocassionally is okay, all the time isn't. You're right to be concerned.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    Options

I didn't get the impression that you were "dissing" anyone. You just seem uninformed (as do others who have responded to you on this topic) as to what "skipping meals" can involve. Intermittent Fasting can be done many ways, including on a daily basis. For example, I eat only between the hours of 12pm and 6pm daily. That typically turns out to be 2 meals. It does not negatively affect my metabolism and it has proven health benefits. You can certainly find more information about IF on this website and many others.

And to VKaylor, telling someone they're wrong when they specifically ask if they are wrong does not equate to being a *****. It's called answering a question.
    ETA: Clearly I meant "does NOT equate". Messed up my own post!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options

I didn't get the impression that you were "dissing" anyone. You just seem uninformed (as do others who have responded to you on this topic) as to what "skipping meals" can involve. Intermittent Fasting can be done many ways, including on a daily basis. For example, I eat only between the hours of 12pm and 6pm daily. That typically turns out to be 2 meals. It does not negatively affect my metabolism and it has proven health benefits. You can certainly find more information about IF on this website and many others.

And to VKaylor, telling someone they're wrong when they specifically ask if they are wrong does equate to being a *****. It's called answering a question.

Firstly this poster is correct. IF has been shown to have multiple health benefits, with fat loss being one of them. I did IF for a year with success, and only stopped because I fell pregnant. I plan on going back to IF (Eat Stop Eat) after I finish breastfeeding.

Intermittent Fasting can come in many different forms. One form is Lean Gains, which has an 8 hour window (so you would skip breakfast, and maybe eat lunch and dinner, then fast through til lunch the next day). Another is fast 5, which is a 5 hour eating window.. I guess you would skip breakfast and lunch, or lunch and dinner in that case. Another is 5:2 where two days a week you eat 600 calories, which can be dinner and breakfast or whatever.

It may not suit you, but don't assume it doesn't suit others or is unhealthy. People have long term success following these plans. It is more important to find an eating style that suits you than try and force yourself to eat regularly because of some misconceptions.

The important thing is the person is eating enough overall, whether they have those calories in 5 hours or they have one day where they eat low calories and the next day they eat higher, it doesn't matter.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    The rare times I skip meals is due to poor time management on my part. I couldn't imagine deliberately skipping meals, food is way too good for that kind of abuse :noway: :laugh:

I think the idea behind IF is dodgy at best, cramming a day's worth of calories into a limited time span isn't something I personally can wrap my head around - it's like eating at 1200 cals. Sure it works for some people, sure it has benefits, but for me why do that to yourself. If people want to IF, then have at it, but I can't imagine it as a part of my routine. Ever. Yikes!
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Actually, I routinely skip meals on the weekends because we have fallen into the habit of having a large late breakfast and an early dinner. We may or may not have a light snack in the middle of the afternoon.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Firstly this poster is correct. IF has been shown to have multiple health benefits, with fat loss being one of them. I did IF for a year with success, and only stopped because I fell pregnant. I plan on going back to IF (Eat Stop Eat) after I finish breastfeeding.

If IF is so healthy and has so many healthy benefits why would you restart only after you end nursing? That implies you don't buy into it fully as a healthy way to eat. You can lose weight and nurse without impacting the baby's well being, so why wouldn't you with IF? Seems like a contradiction of beliefs to me *shrugs*
  • MeMyCatsandI
    Options
    The rare times I skip meals is due to poor time management on my part. I couldn't imagine deliberately skipping meals, food is way too good for that kind of abuse :noway: :laugh:

I think the idea behind IF is dodgy at best, cramming a day's worth of calories into a limited time span isn't something I personally can wrap my head around - it's like eating at 1200 cals. Sure it works for some people, sure it has benefits, but for me why do that to yourself. If people want to IF, then have at it, but I can't imagine it as a part of my routine. Ever. Yikes!
    I can't wrap my head around Quantum Physics. That doesn't mean the principles aren't sound.
    You can't wrap your head around IF. That doesn't mean the principles aren't sound.
    It isn't for everyone. It doesn't appeal to everyone. Few things do.
  • stellabobella79
    stellabobella79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well...I always skipped breakfast before MFP and apparently I overcompensated later in the day because now I have weight to lose, lol. I feel like I need breakfast to keep from overdoing it later in the day.
  • jeff23238
    jeff23238 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You have to eat to lose!!!!!
  • kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    Skipping meals aren't recommended because it often tends to lead to binging later on in the day.

Eating few calories at timely intervals is the best way to go. Or just eating a little bit whenever you're hungry. Don't skip meals! Not worth it.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

If IF is so healthy and has so many healthy benefits why would you restart only after you end nursing? That implies you don't buy into it fully as a healthy way to eat. You can lose weight and nurse without impacting the baby's well being, so why wouldn't you with IF? Seems like a contradiction of beliefs to me *shrugs*

I'm going to take a wild guess that calorie restrictions during breastfeeding can seriously impact milk production. You burn crazy calories while BF and if you don't eat sufficiently and drink lots of fluids, you can dry up.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    Options
    Skipping meals isn't recommended FOR SOME PEOPLE because it CAN lead to binging later on in the day.

Eating few calories at timely intervals CAN BE the best way to go FOR SOME PEOPLE.
    Fixed your post.
  • Lauriecz
    Lauriecz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh my Geez!...everyone is different. I think when you are heavier it help your metabolism to not skip meal. My Dr told me that. He also said that you can binge et later because you are so hungry or make unhealthy choices because you are very hungry by the time you eat. This may not be a problem for alll people. Everyone is different and as I have noticed ...very sensitive.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I do IF also. The whole 6 meals a day thing doesn't have a benefit over 3 meals or one big meal. It doesn't keep your metabolism stoked, in fact, bigger meals have a bigger effect. Diet preference isn't one size fits all. If skipping a meal causes someone to binge or eat more in later meals then yes, it's bad for them, not necessarily everyone. For me I'm not really hungry until later in the day, so by not forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry I save myself those calories. Whatever the case I try to not focus on what other people do with their food, has nothing to do with me.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    There is a significant difference between skipping meals and ending the day way under your calorie goal and intermittent fasting in which you still eat your daily allotment just in a smaller time frame. IF doesn't work for me and I'm skeptical about the theory's behind it but I don't see anything "wrong" with it unlike skipping meals if done on a regular basis.
  • skinnybitchbeth
    Options
    There are so many diets that were proven to work in the past and then later found out to be unhealthy, so I wouldn't believe anything new, including IF. For one thing, If you are a diabetic on medication or pregnant you obviously shouldn't even consider fasting of any kind. Also, those with social anxiety and panic attacks should consider not fasting, especially if planning on going out in public, because it can aggravate symptoms.
    I would think that from fasting your body would go into starvation mode, making it harder to lose weight, especially if you work out when you haven't eaten anything in hours. If you work out while fasting when your blood sugar is low, it can lead you to pass out and have heart palpitations. I have had that personally happen to me and I'm healthy and young.
    The medical opinion of IF is that the benefits of it are not proven and until there are more human studies that people should eat the recommended caloric intake each day. They advise if you are going to fast that you should do it through a clinic or under medical supervision since there are many people it can be dangerous for.
    Just because you lose weight from a diet and even feel healthier doesn't mean it is healthy. How many times does history have to prove that? I'm not saying it doesn't work, but there is not enough testing to prove it safe.