How often does everyone weigh in or take body measurements?

Options
2»

Replies

• jsimler1
    jsimler1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Weigh every week...haven't taken any measurements...been doing this almost a month now, so I might do that soon!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every two or three days. I let my clothes do the measuring for me.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every week and do measurements once a month.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every monday morning before breakfast
  • Skinnyinsecure
    Skinnyinsecure Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. Its slightly obsessive but it keeps me sane / motivates me
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Daily usually, it fluctuates 3-5 pounds, after 7 days of dieting and working out I record whatever weight is there. xD I know not to expect changes for about a week at least :3
  • fight_for_fit
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. Helps keep me motivated. It also helps me keep track of fluctuations and know what I need to do for the next day.
    I Take body measurements once a month or every 10-15 lbs of weight lost.
  • inyourdreams71
    inyourdreams71 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ~ I weigh every morning at the same time and do measurements with every 5 pounds lost~
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Just started to weigh every morning. I keep track in a spreadsheet and try to correlate how certain activities affect my weight, short and long term. Was measuring every two weeks but now trying to only do it once a month as the changes are getting harder to measure.
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I weigh at work every Tuesday morning for our Biggest Loser competition, and again on Thursday night with my weight loss Bible study. Two places to keep me accountable seems to help me toe the line...and the money I'll win at work isn't bad, either! (Fingers crossed!!)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and use the tape measure once a week but since I'm so close to goal I would like to change to once a week for the scales and once a month for the tape measure.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I have one picture and a goal weight. Once I meet my goal (very soon) my goal will be to maintain. Once I start lifting I'll use my picture as a baseline. I do have measurements too on a piece of paper somewhere, which I may orate not look at again in the future.
  • stina412
    Options
    I weigh daily and measure once a month. =)
  • brtrentgl
    Options
    Weigh weekly and measure monthly
  • BookwomanTerri
    Options
    When I started I realized my home scale was completely inaccurate. My gym has a scale so I use that now. Works great to get me to the gym as I want to see my progress. I weigh in before my workout and if I've lost I feel great and want to keep going with a good workout. If I haven't lost I figure a good workout will help. Either way it motivates me to do well. So I end up weighing myself 3-5 times a week depending on gym attendance. I've only done one set of measurements so far but I plan to do those monthly. This is only my third week.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Weigh daily, take measurements weekly.
  • kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    It's not good to weigh yourself too much because this can be discouraging.

It's recommended to do it weekly and some people do it monthly -up to you, really! The only thing people don't recommend is doing it daily. Don't care too much about the number on the scale and more about what you put into your mouth.

Once you pursue the right health and fitness lifestyle, the pounds will shed themselves off and you won't have to worry about taking measurements too often. :)
  • VersusTheMoose
    Options
    I weigh in once a week and I have yet to take measurements. Unless you count the new belt..
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It's not good to weigh yourself too much because this can be discouraging.

It's recommended to do it weekly and some people do it monthly -up to you, really! The only thing people don't recommend is doing it daily. Don't care too much about the number on the scale and more about what you put into your mouth...
    I get what you're saying, but it's a highly individual thing. Some people absolutely go nuts and can't handle seeing the daily fluctuations on the scale (and it DOES fluctuate - by several pounds from day to day). Other people understand it's going to happen, know why it's happening and weigh daily as a data point to see how sodium intake, hydration levels, water balance, workouts, etc. affect their daily weight.

Bottom line is that if you're easily discouraged and don't want to face the possibility of looking down and seeing a 4-pound gain from the previous day for no apparent reason, don't do it - weigh yourself weekly, bi-weekly or monthly instead and preserve your sanity. If you're a nuts-and-bolts person who's curious to see how much more you'll weigh after eating 7000 mg of sodium the day before or whatever (and you can understand WHY it's happening, won't be despondent over seeing the gain and can accept that it's only temporary), there's nothing wrong with weighing daily.

Understand that no matter what, weight loss is not a linear process. No matter how exact you are with your calorie accounting, you're not going to lose *exactly* 1 pound per week (or whatever your goal is set for). You may go three or four weeks without logging a loss, then suddenly experience a "whoosh" and be down 3 or 4 pounds the following week. Also, there are a number of factors which mask weight/fat loss. If you weigh bi-weekly and happen to have had a huge sodium day or a really intense workout the day before your weigh-in (or are dealing with TOM factors, if you're a woman), the scale may reflect no loss or even a gain from your previous weigh-in when in fact you actually lost pounds...it's just being masked due to the water/glycogen retention.

All those factors are why it's good to also take measurements. If you're seeing your measurements go down, it indicates that good things are happening no matter WHAT the scale tells you. Truth be told, measurements are just as important (if not more so) than the number on the scale, especially as you approach your ideal/goal weight. You don't walk around with the number from the scale floating over your head....what people see (and what you see reflected in the mirror) is the body you've transformed. I can almost guarantee that any woman would be happier with the end result at 145 lbs. and 20% bodyfat than she would be with 125 lbs. and 35% bodyfat.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I Weigh every week and measure every month.