Skipping meals??

Options

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    The starvation mode is strong in this thread.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. If I don't want lunch, I won't have it. I'm trying to listen to my body more. Some people just don't eat as much as others.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Why do you think eating set meals is better?

Really, though. To anyone worried about "skipping" meals... why, exactly, do you even view "meals" the way you do?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The starvation mode is strong in this thread.

Starvationmode_zps8da3114e.jpg
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I never skip a planned meal...

...but then again the only meal I plan for is dinner
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    People here are ****s Trisha.
    It isn't healthy. Your body will not burn fat at a consistant rate, and you will not keep your metabolism high. Ocassionally is okay, all the time isn't. You're right to be concerned.
    No.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

Plenty of actual peer-reviewed studies linked in that thread which prove the above totally incorrect.

Everyone in here saying things about starvation mode, metabolism dropping, etc: your information is incorrect. Please go read this thread.

Magazines with dieting tips repeat the ideas that you're supposed to never skip breakfast and eat five or six meals a day a lot. These are good tips for people needing a place to start because it helps them get control of their hunger and manage their calories. However, it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with if it's healthy for your body; your body really doesn't care if you eat 300 calories 6 times a day or 1800 calories all in one go. Do what works and is manageable for you. As long as you get the right amount of calories, any way is healthy.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with skipping meals. In fact, there is science behind intermittent fasting being good for us. As long as the person is getting enough calories it really doesn't matter when they are getting them or if they are getting all in one or two meals. I see nothing wrong with a 24 hour fast either.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're wrong. Intermittent Fasting is a form of "skipping meals", and it's perfectly healthy.

This. :)

I second this:)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Metabolic adaptation from fasting only occurs at the 36-72 hr window and varies by individual (gender is a factor, apparently) according to the research I've read - those that talk about "starvation mode" should consider that - there is no support for it, if overall calories are maintained...

Meal frequency should be based on whatever fits your life style and the personal preferences that allow you to maintain your calorie goals.
  • Wwonderful
    Options
    IF is the bommmmmmmb!!!
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    Skipping meals aren't recommended because it often tends to lead to binging later on in the day.

Eating few calories at timely intervals is the best way to go. Or just eating a little bit whenever you're hungry. Don't skip meals! Not worth it.

This is an opinion. Eating breakfast leads to binging for me. Eating few calories at timely intervals MAY be the best way for YOU to go but that does not apply to everyone. Skipping meals is perfectly fine. I've ALWAYS been thin and have ALWAYS skipped meals daily, weekly, just whenever I didn't feel like eating. There must be something to that. Oh and all of my thin friends and husband routinely skip meals. All of my heavy friends eat several times a day. Think about it. When we didn't have steady food supplies from the grocery store we had feast and famine. Our bodies are designed to fast and feast. Do what works for you but please make your opinions known as opinions and do some research.
  • FiestyIrish
    Options
    I used to skip breakfast all the time because I just wasn't hungry. And then at work, I was a manager and just didn't have enough time to get all my stuff done AND find time to eat lunch. So all I ate was dinner and then a snack in the evenings.

Now that I work out, I HAVE to find time for breakfast and lunch because I feel like I'll drop if I don't get some food in me! With the workouts, I end up hungry about every 2-3 hours. As it's progressed, I've found going from the 3 basic meals to frequent smaller meals works best for me so I don't end up overdoing it.

But it's different for everybody. If people are satisfied with their eating habits, are healthy, and can maintain then more power to them. I don't think there's any one right or wrong way to go about it.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    When you skip meals, it makes you hungrier later and makes you overeat.

False. This may apply to you but not to everyone.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    LOL

To all the people who claim eating only one meal a day is unhealthy. Do you really think early man was able to sit and eat 6 meals a day? The human body evolved to eat a lot of calories in one sitting, and then fast for extended periods of time until food could be found. This is how we naturally eat. It wasn't until the 1700's that people started eating more than once a day.

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • tcmulli
    Options
    I try to eat something 4-5 times a day. I'm overweight so that is unhealthy. I may have to resort to one of the fasting period plans one day, but i'm good right now.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    I am noticing that an awful lot of people are skipping meals daily, and some are skipping multiple meals. That doesn't seem like the best way to stay under your calories. I can see skipping a meal if you're busy or plain old not hungry...but on a daily basis? Not super healthy, am I wrong??

Why are all the IF dieters getting their knickers in a knot for..... All OP was asking is why people are skipping meals and that it doesn't seem healthy.... she didn't post to point out IF dieters in specific, she just posted what she has come across....

Some MFP members really peeve me off... Why tell people what you are doing is right and what someone else is doing is wrong??? Are we all not here for the same reason?? And just because what you are doing works for YOUR body doesn’t mean it will work for someone else’s body!!! Stick to what works for you and leave other people to diet how they choose....

HAS NOBODY EVER HEARD THE SAYING DIFFRENT STROKES FOR DIFFRENT FOLKS???

Well said Saivalis, this topic seems to have stirred up the pot. I guess that's why we are all different! Some people just can't see that, or don't want to see it!

This is funny. OP was judging people who skip meals and you two run to her defense by judging IFers.

PS...I don't fast but have put my 2 cents in on the subject which is basically, you want to fast? Good for you! You want to eat 16 meals a day? Good for you! As long as you aren't starving yourself WHO FREAKIN CARES :drinker: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're wrong. Intermittent Fasting is a form of "skipping meals", and it's perfectly healthy.

First off, let me be clear. I"m not trying to dis anybody. As I said, occasionally skipping meals here and there is one thing...Heck, I usually end up only eating two meals on the weekends. On a daily basis is what I was speaking of. Also I am seeing people that are constantly eating one meal a day. THAT cannot be healthy.

People here are ****s Trisha.
    It isn't healthy. Your body will not burn fat at a consistant rate, and you will not keep your metabolism high. Ocassionally is okay, all the time isn't. You're right to be concerned.

1) I'm not sure disagreeing with somebody necessarily make them a *****

2)Do you have any sort of scientific evidence supporting your claim that " your body will not burn fat at a consistent rate"
    or that if you skip a meal it will all of a sudden slow down your metabolism?

3) The bottom line is do what works FOR YOU. If you skip a meal and tend to over eat later on then by all means eat twenty meals a day as long as you're within your calorie allowance it really doesn't matter.
  • MartinBenson
    MartinBenson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Skipping meals on a daily basis is not a good idea. There is a place for IF for one or two days a week where you only have 500 or 600kcal on these days if using the 5:2 diet. There is clinical evidence to support this however research has also shown that people tend to be thinner if they eat breakfast.

Your body does go into starvation mode if you skip meals so it is better to have 3 small meals per day than 1 massive meal. Also I'm not sure how you would get all your vitamins and minerals you need in the day if you are only eating one or two meals per day.

Everyone has their own ways of doing things but balance is important to a diet whether trying to lose weight or weight maintain.

This is just wrong. Look up leangains style IF.

I'm talking medical and scientific research. I'm not saying it doesn't work for others, but there needs to be more scientific research on IF but without balance in your diet with vitamins and minerals your body will struggle to work affectively from a biochemical level (can't see this on the outside)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I eat when I get hungry. Usually in the morning. Then I eat again if I get hungry again (often I don't because most days I eat all my calories in one meal). Works great for me, your results may vary, and being low carb (therefore possibly not as subject to the glucose ups and downs) might be why it works so well for me.
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I am noticing that an awful lot of people are skipping meals daily, and some are skipping multiple meals. That doesn't seem like the best way to stay under your calories. I can see skipping a meal if you're busy or plain old not hungry...but on a daily basis? Not super healthy, am I wrong??

Why are all the IF dieters getting their knickers in a knot for..... All OP was asking is why people are skipping meals and that it doesn't seem healthy.... she didn't post to point out IF dieters in specific, she just posted what she has come across....

Some MFP members really peeve me off... Why tell people what you are doing is right and what someone else is doing is wrong??? Are we all not here for the same reason?? And just because what you are doing works for YOUR body doesn’t mean it will work for someone else’s body!!! Stick to what works for you and leave other people to diet how they choose....

HAS NOBODY EVER HEARD THE SAYING DIFFRENT STROKES FOR DIFFRENT FOLKS???

Well said Saivalis, this topic seems to have stirred up the pot. I guess that's why we are all different! Some people just can't see that, or don't want to see it!

This is funny. OP was judging people who skip meals and you two run to her defense by judging IFers.

PS...I don't fast but have put my 2 cents in on the subject which is basically, you want to fast? Good for you! You want to eat 16 meals a day? Good for you! As long as you aren't starving yourself WHO FREAKIN CARES :drinker: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

And where in what I wrote did I judge IF'ers.... did you miss the diffrent strokes for diffrent folks??? I also said that everyone diets diffrently and what works for one may not work for someone else.... I am just defeanding OP cause she didn't post to say anyone who does IF is unhealthy, she said she notices some people skip meals daily and that SEEMS unhealthy.... that is all, no mention of IFers.... so again, TONE IT DOWN PEOPLE..... WE ARE ALL HEre FOR THE SAME THING...

CARRY ON :smile:
    Edited for grammer