Muscle weighs more than fat (?!!!)

Options

Replies

• qifitness
    qifitness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Read the post again...... humans are not assessed through 'weight by volume'..... only on the scales.

Read posts more carefully before making stupid replies.
  • qifitness
    Options
    Humans are not assessed through 'weight by volume'.

Do your scales do this?

No.
  • qifitness
    Options
    Yes, that can be true
  • qifitness
    Options
    So true.

Thanks for a sensible post!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I agree completely.

If i hear one more person say "Well, I've been dieting and exercising but im not losing weight. I must be gaining muscle."

No. just.... no.

this statement is kinda laughable, but its not because 1lbs = 1 lbs.

its a rediculous semantic argument. the phrase 'no *kitten*' is the only adaquate response
  • qifitness
    Options
    True.

A tape measure is a far better means of assessing fat loss.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    So if I said to you a bowling ball weighs more than feathers, you're going tos ay. "NO YOU'RE WRONG, 1lbs of bowling balls has the same weight as 1lbs of feathers!!!!"

I deal with mass almost daily, I am majoring to be a biochemistry. Lead weighs more than Sodium. (period) you don't say "well the density blah blah blah" no one cares.

thank you
  • qifitness
    Options
    Absolutely true.

Use a tape measure rather than scales to assess fat loss.
  • qifitness
    Options
    Thanks for your sensible (qualified) advice.
    Would be helpful to members here if they listened to such comments and not followed the rubbish they hear from the 'experts'.
  • qifitness
    Options
    yes
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Wrong. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle WEIGHS MORE than 1 cubic inch of fat. Period.

You don't weigh yourself by cubic inches.

You may not weigh yourself by cubic inches, but you sure do judge yourself in the mirror that way, and that is also how others judge you.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Humans are not assessed through 'weight by volume'.

Do your scales do this?

No.

Actually my scale measures my body fat percentage, my lean body mass, my hydration levels etc. And stop overgeneralizing. Just because some scales does not measure weight by volume doesn't mean "humans are not assessed" by any other measures. You yourself stated that some people get assessed through hydrostatic body fat testing which exactly does that. I for one and many people I know got hydrostatic body fat testing either once or multiple times.

You explicitly said in your original post that if someone is not losing weight on the scale then they are doing something wrong which most of the above posters noted that its not exactly true. Since people do get assessed by body fat percentage which do change if you build muscle and burn fat while maintaining the same weight.
  • qifitness
    Options
    Humans aren't measured by volume on the bathroom scales, so the issue of 'volume is irrelevant.
  • qifitness
    Options
    Sadly.... yes :-(

Idiots still believe this rubbish.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I stick up for trainers at the gym (and no I am not a trainer). They always take your measurements as well as your weight as well as your body fat percentage. So many times I meet these itty bitty tiny people who way more than me. Not because I have a warped sense of how I look but because they are "toned" more muscular and therefore more dense/"less fat". But a pound of feathers definetitly ways more than a pound of fat.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    OK, here is the deal. Muscle weighs more PER CUBIC INCH than fat... THEREFORE, if you are 225 lbs and have a lower fat percentage than another person who is 225 lbs, then you will be SMALLER... You will fit in SMALLER CLOTHES... That is the argument... OF course a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of metal BUT the volume that is taken up is much smaller for the metal than the feathers.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    "NOTE: This isn't 'racist'.... it's a simple matter of human physiology. "

Best. Statement. Ever.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Agree, 1 pound of muscle weighs 1 pound; 1 pound of fat weighs 1 pound.

However, when a person says I'm not losing weight this week, maybe I'm gaining muscle, that could be true.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    OK, here is the deal. Muscle weighs more PER CUBIC INCH than fat... THEREFORE, if you are 225 lbs and have a lower fat percentage than another person who is 225 lbs, then you will be SMALLER... You will fit in SMALLER CLOTHES... That is the argument... OF course a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of metal BUT the volume that is taken up is much smaller for the metal than the feathers.

Volume and weight are not the same thing. You basically just proved their point while trying not to prove their point.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Wrong. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle WEIGHS MORE than 1 cubic inch of fat. Period.

You don't weigh yourself by cubic inches.

No you don"t. But you really should really too much on weighing yourself on a scale either. Body composition. How clothes fit you. Your body composition may change thanks to all your hard work, but the scale numbers may stay the same... But you look a lot better in those jeans and tank top!