Muscle weighs more than fat (?!!!)

Replies

• MartinBenson
    MartinBenson Posts: 7 Member
    I think the main point that is being missed is what is implied by the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat." Technically, yes, muscle weighs more than fat by volume. So, if you're weight training and lose 1 cubic inch of fat but gain 1 cubic inch of muscle you will weigh slightly more.

Totally agree
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    However, when a person says I'm not losing weight this week, maybe I'm gaining muscle, that could be true.
    I think it takes more than a week to gain a measurable amount of muscle. Not sure, but sure seems that it would.
    One week of the scale not moving is more likely to be water retention, I bet.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Racism in mufti rears its ugly head in the dress of some lame pseudo-physiological explanation.
    Then Edvaldo Valerio, Bronze medal winner, shows that the OP's theory is unclothed.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Just skipping along, picking nits picking nits. lalalalalalala

I just love a good nit-picking!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    Sadly.... yes :-(

Idiots still believe this rubbish.

You've been here since 2010. While you keep calling everyone else idiots take a minute and learn to use the QUOTE FUNCTION so the rest of us have some clue who you're talking to.
  • sassy_sadie
    sassy_sadie Posts: 36 Member
    "I think it takes more than a week to gain a measurable amount of muscle."

^^ THIS
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    I am sorry but I love that a square inch of muscle weighs more than a square inch of fat. I would rather weigh more on a scale and look in the mirror and like what I see or put on smaller jeans and they fit well any day of the week!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    "NOTE: This isn't 'racist'.... it's a simple matter of human physiology. "

1349813923-thats-racist.gif
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Ok, I'll say this once. If you read the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat," and argue it's false because you think someone is saying that 1 pound of muscle weighs more than 1 pound of fat, then you have some serious reading comprehension issues.

Nobody is saying 1 pound of anything weighs more than 1 pound of anything else. People are saying that BY VOLUME, muscle is heavier, which means it is possible for someone with more muscle and less fat to be heavier than someone with less muscle and more fat, yet look smaller.

It's really not a difficult concept to understand.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    This is why, at Olympic Games level, no afro-carribeans win medals at swimming. Their greater body density means that they sink further into the water an create greater 'drag', so can't reach the speeds of the other swimmers.

NOTE: This isn't 'racist'.... it's a simple matter of human physiology.

I was with you up until this point. This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Athletic swimming has little to nothing to do with the ability to float. :noway: :mad:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    popcorn.gif

I'm just posting here so I can follow this thread at a later stage.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Die stupid fat/muscle weight thread, die!

Sorry, conditioned response.
  • MudDancer
    MudDancer Posts: 151 Member
    [/quote]
    A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat which weighs the same as a pound of feathers and all those weigh the same as a pound of gold. However, they all have different densities so those four substances will take up much different volumes of space.
    [/quote]

^this^
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    I'm so glad this issue is finally being discussed. It has gone unaddressed for far too long.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Yeh, but hang on a second, a ton of steel is heavier than a ton of feathers, right???
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    The fact that race somehow got worked into this...

magnificent.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Wrong. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle WEIGHS MORE than 1 cubic inch of fat. Period.

^this.... and people are saying 'you don't measure yourself in cubic inces'...of course you don't. but it is sitll a fact. Also, fat grows at different speeds and so does muscle and vice versa. so I ask everyone this- If you gain a 'glob' of fat vs a 'glob' of muscle... which 'glob' weighs more people?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    This is why, at Olympic Games level, no afro-carribeans win medals at swimming. Their greater body density means that they sink further into the water an create greater 'drag', so can't reach the speeds of the other swimmers.

NOTE: This isn't 'racist'.... it's a simple matter of human physiology.

I was with you up until this point. This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Athletic swimming has little to nothing to do with the ability to float. :noway: :mad:

And another thing... the last time I checked Olympic swimmers were not fat, therefore, your point is completely invalid!
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    When I read this answer from a personal trainer who was asked that question I found that his answer made the best sense, at least in regards to communicating the concept in a way people can easily understand.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=8311&sc=128